Folklore and local ghost stories from your area.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HTM

Nov 10, 2023
Kent
Hello everyone. REALLY off topic but....

I collect folklore and local ghost stories from where ever I go. I've been known to visit and stay in places accociated with "phenomena" (and seen/felt not much to nothing) I'm an open skeptic, but I love the stories! Without judgement or is it real/not conjecture if anyone wants to share local folklore or local ghost stories from their area, especially word of mouth my cousins boyfriends flats mates mum says etc I'd be interested.

near Limon (Costa Rica) is a small island known under different names, amongst them "isla uvita". Columbus had a stop there on it's forth trip to the Americas and in later years there was a hospital for leprosy patients on the island -- the ruins are still visible but visiting at night isn't a good idea as (supposedly) the souls of the patients hang still around.... (a day trip to the island isn't a bad way to spend your time, especially if you go with a guide i know as he has tons of local knowledge)

Reactions: HTM

HTM

Nov 10, 2023
Kent
near Limon (Costa Rica) is a small island known under different names, amongst them "isla uvita". Columbus had a stop there on it's forth trip to the Americas and in later years there was a hospital for leprosy patients on the island -- the ruins are still visible but visiting at night isn't a good idea as (supposedly) the souls of the patients hang still around.... (a day trip to the island isn't a bad way to spend your time, especially if you go with a guide i know as he has tons of local knowledge)
Awesome. This is exactly the sort of thing i'm looking for. Thank you!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My part of Wales features heavily in the Mabinogion - the place where the Prince of Dyfed did a life-swap with the Prince of the Otherworld is within walking distance of my house... it is a famous gateway to Anwn as well as being a beautiful spot :)
Also known as Ffynonne Waterfall :)

HTM

Nov 10, 2023
Kent
My part of Wales features heavily in the Mabinogion - the place where the Prince of Dyfed did a life-swap with the Prince of the Otherworld is within walking distance of my house... it is a famous gateway to Anwn as well as being a beautiful spot :)
Also known as Ffynonne Waterfall :)
that sounds great!

HTM

Nov 10, 2023
Kent
When I lived in The Medway Towns (if you know, you know) as a teenager there were several local legends - firstly various rumours about a tree on the edge of the space of nothing woods between the Parkwood / Wigmore estates that had been used as a gibbot in ancient times, where bodies could be seen dangling at night.

Then there were the legends of a ghostly hitch hiker, often a pale scared woman who enters the car on bluebell hill, or is hit by a car , who later either when the car stops to check for a body, or further down the road with the hiker in the back the girl is gone.

there was also the pale or yellow lady people on Hempstead road, Spekes road and Star lane would sometime see walking to the site of the plague hospital , walking an old path so that here feet and lower shins / ankles were below modern road levels wearing a yellow bell dress and accossiated with the sound of a bell.

more in the mundane world there were rumours of a downed lancaster bomber or spitfire or flying fortress aeroplane in the Darland Banks woods that we endlessly looked for as teenagers. and never found.

Reactions: Wildgoose

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Not a lot in my town, but there is one area that I felt very uneasy and don't like being near, especially at night. No real reason just felt "something" hairs would raise on my arms and I'd get a feeling to not go there.
A few years ago, I went on a local history walk around the town. When we got to this place, I mentioned that i felt very uneasy there, we were told it is believed it is where the plague victims were buried, though there are no markers of any sort.
Weird.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
When I lived in The Medway Towns (if you know, you know) as a teenager there were several local legends - firstly various rumours about a tree on the edge of the space of nothing woods between the Parkwood / Wigmore estates that had been used as a gibbot in ancient times, where bodies could be seen dangling at night.

Then there were the legends of a ghostly hitch hiker, often a pale scared woman who enters the car on bluebell hill, or is hit by a car , who later either when the car stops to check for a body, or further down the road with the hiker in the back the girl is gone.

there was also the pale or yellow lady people on Hempstead road, Spekes road and Star lane would sometime see walking to the site of the plague hospital , walking an old path so that here feet and lower shins / ankles were below modern road levels wearing a yellow bell dress and accossiated with the sound of a bell.

more in the mundane world there were rumours of a downed lancaster bomber or spitfire or flying fortress aeroplane in the Darland Banks woods that we endlessly looked for as teenagers. and never found.
There's all sorts of spooky goings on in the Towns...

Sent from underground

HTM

Nov 10, 2023
Kent
There's all sorts of spooky goings on in the Towns...

Sent from underground
Amhurst
The dock yard phenomena / sightings
Rochester King's gardens
All the pub ghosts / the barge stories
All the Upnor stories / the plague islands / the fort
The Chatham little theatre ghost stories

almost like the place is cursed......

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's lots of spectral stuff going on in Cumbria. I can't remember the details but I believe there's phantom soldiers back o skidda. Roman legionaries iirc.

You've possibly heard of the wasdale tale about the husband sentenced for murder on the evidence of his murdered wife?

The tale I got told in a very abridged form goes like this. Adulterous husband, murdered wife, funeral procession from wasdale that had no church / graveyard back then, body carried wrapped in a shroud, hawthorn tree snagged the shroud and the wife's arm fell out with her finger pointing to her husband. He was later found guilty of the murder. As I'm sure you will know that hawthorn tree has a traditional link to the dead, spirits and the underworld. So apparently the local superstitions meant that this incident was enough evidence to condemn the husband.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not spooky but still folklore. You'll know about the fairy steps near Beetham close to the Lancashire/Cumbria border. The fairy steps are a very narrow crack in a limestone Crag that has steps up to the top of the crag and amazing views. If you can climb to the top without touching the sides you'll see a fairy.

It's actually very hard to do this but decade or two ago I did it on a walk with mates. I actually was the only person in the 15 strong group to get up without touching the sides. I never saw a fairy though.

BTW northern Ireland and probably Republic too are likely to be good hunting grounds for good folklore tales. I know there's ppl still not completely ruling out the existence of fairies. About 15 or so years ago I knew someone building roads in Republic in the border area with NI. By a new road bridge there was a fairy shrine / spring. When the guy I knew, senior engineer from England, went past there with local engineers including a fresh graduate engineer they always double crossed themselves by the shrine. When questioned they said they didn't believe in them but it's not worth taking the chance. They did have to take ac of the spot in the bridge plans.

HTM

Nov 10, 2023
Kent
There's lots of spectral stuff going on in Cumbria. I can't remember the details but I believe there's phantom soldiers back o skidda. Roman legionaries iirc.

You've possibly heard of the wasdale tale about the husband sentenced for murder on the evidence of his murdered wife?

The tale I got told in a very abridged form goes like this. Adulterous husband, murdered wife, funeral procession from wasdale that had no church / graveyard back then, body carried wrapped in a shroud, hawthorn tree snagged the shroud and the wife's arm fell out with her finger pointing to her husband. He was later found guilty of the murder. As I'm sure you will know that hawthorn tree has a traditional link to the dead, spirits and the underworld. So apparently the local superstitions meant that this incident was enough evidence to condemn the husband.
great tale, what an image!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE