Dry bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Long time user of Ortleib dry bags, but I have been trying the Exped ones. I don’t find they are as long lasting and the first time you find that they leak is when you really need them to work. Any recommendations on good drybags before I just go back to my old Ortleib ones?

Cheers
Louis

Reactions: QT0

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I'd stay with ortlieb. Or that style at least. There's some cheaper variants from the likes of highlander that are essentially the same as ortleib but do tend to come is louder colours.

Currently on sale!

Reactions: Thoth

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
I vote for Ortleib they are very well made and mine lasted for a long time. I also have some Sea to Summit dry bags which seem to be pretty good too. I had some from Silva but the welding was poor so bits fell of them.

Reactions: Toddy and nigelp

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have a mixture of dry bags. The Ortleib have lasted well and so have some of my Sea to Summit. My Sealine bags delaminated after about 5 years. My cheap amazon jobs are doing ok. My best buys were from Lidl but they havent had and big dry bags for ages.

the Overboard bags I had lasted about 6 years of heavy use before the seams went.

If in doubt double and triple bag everything. On our canoe expeditions each critical item gets its own dedicated dry bag within a larger bag.

Reactions: Ozmundo and Toddy

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Cheers, I think I had already decided to go back to Ortleib, they are able to take a bit of rough and tumble without failing.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I have some of the Lidl ones. The shoulder strap fittings came off pretty quickly but the bags stayed sound. I have a mishmash of many others. The old heavy ortleibs have lasted well. I have some very thick vinyl yachting ones too, can’t remember the brand. But they are at the very heavy end, good for canyoning however.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Think there was a shift to not using PVC anymore, but seems like the alternatives aren't as good.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I use both.

My main liner is an ortlieb bag.

Then i have the colour coded different sized exped bags inside it with my kit packed away. This makes it very easy to find kit as i know what colour my spare socks are in, my warm kit, my meals etc... .

Just makes admin a bit easier for me.

Ortlieb do make a fantastic map case also.

Siberian Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2023
Lemonwood Rez, NZ
How do KSF drybags fare regarding longivity (i have a ginormous 90L one)? I otherwise have some Exped ’olive drab’ (looks more like olive grey) ones (not the extra light), but these could be relegated to casual use should they be a problem, or used inside a larger bag.

I have since last century a pair of Ortlieb green PVC rear panniers which have lasted well, including surviving my occasionally falling off of my bicycle (one of my special skills): i have always put anything also inside a plastic bag or drybag, and have never had any water ingress into the panniers despite sometimes torrential rain—fun times when cycling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmundo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE