Hammock’in Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hi Chaps.

Last weekend I asked my friend to bring his hammock for me to try. We are both inexperienced in hammocks. I loved it and would like to start using a hammock but not sure where to start.

I need my hammock warm, strong and insect proof. When I look at the DD hammock website it’s a bit overwhelming for me, I was wondering if someone could point out what kit I actually need to meet my requirements.

I assume I will need a tarp, and a sleeping bag. What else? What clips, ropes etc.. do I need? Which hammock? Travel? Front line, camping ? I’m medium height and weight if that makes a difference.

Also I keep hearing about people making little modifications so it cuts down on packing weight and size, could you also include this into your recommendations?

Sorry to drop this on you guys, but I hate trial and error purchasing, it wastes money and time.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
From the DD site:

Frontline Hammock (side entry, mozzi net attached with a double layer base so you can slide a matt in if you need the extra warmth).
Standard tarp (comes with Guylines, but you need to purchase ridge line, paracord will do).
Underquilt (essential in colder weather)

You will obviously need a sleeping bag too.

For mods, you could buy some karaniners and snakeskins, but I'd start off with the basics first though as you will find your own ways to making set up easier. It's quite personal that bit, and you can't really give avice on it.

I really recommend spending six quid and buying RMs Sleep System DVD, it will give you a few ideas on modding, plus all the knots and advice you will need. P&P is free on it, so it's a bargain.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have a look at Bushblades tutorial here, it's the same system as Ray uses in his setup DVD.

It's a rock solid system that's easy to master once you've learnt a couple of knots, it's a bit bulky and heavier than other alternatives but a good place to start. I used it for a couple of years before getting into the american developments of whoopie slings etc.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Perfect!

Underquilt = underblanket? Blanket seems more expensive than the hammock itself. if I just slide the matt in as you mentioned will this keep me warm during cold weather?

Is it a special matt, or can I use a standard one I use for tent camping?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Perfect!

Underquilt = underblanket? Blanket seems more expensive than the hammock itself. if I just slide the matt in as you mentioned will this keep me warm during cold weather?

Is it a special matt, or can I use a standard one I use for tent camping?

Yeah, underquilt=underblanket. You can use a camping matt slid in between the layers, but for the colder weather coming on us now, the underquilt is best as it doesn't compress and make you cold. Well worth the extra money. I usually use a Thermorest half inflated, but it's too cold now and the quilt will come out on the next trip out.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The thing with just using a mat is you still get a chill around your sides and shoulders, with an underblanket/quilt you get the insulation all around you ....

ridge.jpg

Not so much an issue in the warmer months but for winter you can't beat a proper UB/Q for a good nights sleep.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have a hammock and tarp on my wishlist so fingers crossed I will get them for my birthday. I all ready have a 5 seasons sleeping bag, with that would I need an under blanket as well? I was thinking of just using my thermarest as a mat in the set up?

Does stuff compress more in a hammock then when on the ground ? This bit has me really puzzled.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Perfect thank you simon. Would love to see how it's all setup and any tips on saving weight is ideal as my backpack is way too heavy at the moment.

Just been reading up on the subject and really like the whoopie sling idea. They sell them in the UK by any chance?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I have a hammock and tarp on my wishlist so fingers crossed I will get them for my birthday. I all ready have a 5 seasons sleeping bag, with that would I need an under blanket as well? I was thinking of just using my thermarest as a mat in the set up?

Does stuff compress more in a hammock then when on the ground ? This bit has me really puzzled.

You would still need an undeblanket in the colder months. Hammocks squeeze your bag from the sides too. It is colder than sleeping on the ground as free air passes between the ground and hammock making it colder, especially if there are winds.

huffhuff

Forager
Sep 20, 2010
Hitchin, Hertfordshire
I have been trialing an underblanket that I am making for my HH Asym zip. I can say for sure, underquilt preferable this time of year. I stayed in the garden last night with the blanket slung under, toasty and warm and a great night sleep (other than cold feet - i'll be extending the next version. I was just in my boxers). The previous night, with just a thermarest - COOOOLD. You can literally feel which parts of your body are 'exposed'. But then maybe i'm just a wimp :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You can literally feel which parts of your body are 'exposed'. But then maybe i'm just a wimp :)

No, you really can. I used mine a couple of weeks ago with just a thermorest and I was chilly on the parts where my bag was compressed the most. It's definately underquilt time again.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I find it best to do any experiments on my hammock during daylight hours - that way, if it fails (or isn't as warm as I expected) then I have a fall-back option that has already been proven.
Some things I have found to be important are;
1. Pay attention to anywhere that draughts can get in - especially the ends of the hammock as it can set up a recirculating breeze that gets very cold, very fast!
2. The orientation and angles of your tarp can make the difference between a comfortable night and a nightmare.
3. Use a net bag hooked to a ridgeline to hold any items that you might need during the night (torch, water-bottle, book etc).
4. Bank on having to get out at least once for a midnight bio-break!

Having made my own hammock insulation, it very big & bulky so if I was in the market for something to carry on a hike - I'd buy the most compress-able item I could find.

ATB

Ogri the trog

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hi ive used tarps all my life and found that a ridge rope (your tarp goes over the top) with loops tied in say every foot or so makes hanging your gear, mozzy nets torch and anything else you can think of easy. just make sure you tie in before the edge of the tarp a drip line __|_______________________________|___- at each end so the rain doesent make its way under the tarp but hits the drip line and then down to the ground, its trial and error to length etc but it works for me. hope this helps

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Hey nenook,

I've often thought that would be easier (hanging the tarp over the top of the ridge line) but have worried about water running in. I have a DD Frontline hammock and thinking about it surely you wouldn't be able to hang the mossi net elastics from the ridge line too? I would imagine that if it rained they'd simply act like wicks on the inside of the tarp and draw the water down onto the hammock. :( Thankfully there's handy loops inside each end of the mossi net on a frontline.

I'm planning a trip out next weekend, but don't think I'll be braving the hammock this time as I don't have an underquilt. Think it'll be a tent for me. Hopefully its not too freezing! ;o)

Chris

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
You can get some success modding an old sleeping bag into an underquilt. Try out some ideas in your garden, just don't use a too old bag like i did cause you don't realise (as bag gets used with a mat on ground) that the underside of bag will be badly compressed and you'll get a cold butt! It takes a lot of experimenting IMHO to get your personal setup, I'm still working on mine!

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Hi Ski. If you fancy a trip to Preston I'll run you through my set up if you want. I have a 3x3 tatonka tarp, Green Hornet Jungle Hammock, Unsponsored under quilt and various karibiners and hoops etc. Let me know if you fancy a visit. ATB....Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE