Hammock’in Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Ski, the whoopies are dead easy to make and well worth the expense. Any questions, fire away mate. If you want a set making just Pm me. The dyneema is £2/m or less, and you will need either 6 or 8 ft slings which will need between 10 and 11 metres of cord to make.

BTW, good news on your new hammock.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Thanks!

Still playing with it all in my front room. managed to get the tarp sorted. Opted for tarp danging from ridgeline (rather than tarp over ridgeline) as shown on the british blades PDF guide. Not sure where to start with hammock. I've got the carbinders, now I think i need some tree huggers and whoopie slings.

Will take a look if I got any dyneema rope around. Ohh, and find £75 for underquilt *gulp

resnikov

I got some dyneema from Nautical Rope, very quick and cheap service but think I may not have ordered enough, only got 8 meters to make 2 slings.

Hehe know what you mean about the £75 for underquilt, in the same boat, you could try making one. I am trying to make one, but its a bit poo so far.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
there is webbing at each end of the frontline hammock (as it comes standard), Do i attach this direct to carbinder, or wrap it around the hammock for extra strengh?

Worried it will rip the hammock if put under load

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Thank you. So using the standard webbing in the hammock's sleve is suffice and will not tear it.

Whoopie sling ordered, underblanket ordered I think Im all set for experimentation!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thank you. So using the standard webbing in the hammock's sleve is suffice and will not tear it.

Whoopie sling ordered, underblanket ordered I think Im all set for experimentation!

Had mine for about 18 months using the method above, no problems at all.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
What are you lot doing for toggles? Cant find alli tubes around to cut. Also webbings and dutch clip, any of this stuff around in the UK ?

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Just wanted to give a big thank you to all who helped me with this thread.

Spent my first nights sleep in -5 in a DD frontline, DD XL tarp, DD underuild, 2 season sleeping bag, a matt, DD sleeping bag liner and it was a very comfy sleep, Im now converted! Just need to address the cold feet issue (got plans for that).

Managed to make 2mm whoopie slings, and some soft shackles too, everything held up fine and I had a brilliant time.

P1020854.JPG

resnikov

Lovely picture there mate, makes me want to get my kit and get out and hammock. How are you finding the XL tarp? I'm not sure if my standard DD tarp is big enough.
Have you tried 2 pairs of socks for you feet or just a really good quailty walking sock?

Did you leave your pack on the ground or suspened it some how ?

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hi!

I had 2 pairs of socks on yes, but, they were the same socks I wore that day. Im going to make sure I put a fresh pair on for the night, also more padding in the foot area should do the trick. Also, I seem to slide down the hammock and find my feet thurther back of the hammock, its just a case of re-adjusting the setup, which will come with experience im sure.

I left the bag on the floor overnight, too heavy to suspend, I did position further under the tarp however :)

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Yup, all 4. Reason for this is that there wasn't any tree's around to tie them too, and I was on a (mini) hill, so to get the correct angle without using the sticks the guidelines would of had to be very very long.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
Hi!

Also, I seem to slide down the hammock and find my feet thurther back of the hammock, its just a case of re-adjusting the setup, which will come with experience im sure.
:)

mark in regards to the above problem all you do is make sure that your hammock is a slight bit higher at the foot end than the head end and you will be fine but please remember it cant be to lop sided so as to make the blood rush to your head cos thats bad

drew

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Lovely picture there mate, makes me want to get my kit and get out and hammock. How are you finding the XL tarp? I'm not sure if my standard DD tarp is big enough.
Have you tried 2 pairs of socks for you feet or just a really good quailty walking sock?

Did you leave your pack on the ground or suspened it some how ?

Good grief! Too small? I'm thinking my DD tarp is too big and looking to downsize slightly :) Looking at an OES MacCat Deluxe.

For the bag, its easy to suspend it from your suspension line even if you don't have a carabiner. Spare piece of cord and a zeppelin hitch to your suspension will keep it off the ground. MSkiba mentioned he made some soft shackles and one of those sounds ideal for hooking up your pack. My new hammock is about 1/2 a meter longer than my DD so I'm going to try hooking my pack to my suspension but having it sit 'inside', at the head end of my hammock so I can still get into it and use it for storage. Bodymass tends to sit in the middle of the hammock so should still be plenty roomy above my head.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE