Hammock’in Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
how tall an individual does the hammock accommodate?

IIRC..

DD hammocsk are 3 m long, and the ideal sag is 83% of the hammock, but dds lay better more taught, so that gives you atleast 249cm (at 83%), but hung without a structural ridgeline the % is probably closer to 90, soo.. plenty of room, even if you're tall. Some people just prefer to stretch out I guess. I'm 5'8"ish but wanted a bigger hammock, but I've read some people 6'+ having more than enough room.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I'm between 6' and 6'1" depeneing on gravity that day and DD Frontline hammaock fits me fine, with room left over.

See what I mean :D I find I sleep more with my body in the middle of the hammock and my feet don't have quite enough room. I string it up with my footend slightly higher and it helps but on a particularly diagonal lay it sometimes means my feet hang off the end. So that's why I got a bigger one.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Glad you got on well with it Ski. :)

Thanks Teepee, your help on whoopies and soft shakles was a saviour. Your mailbox has been full since then however and was unable to thank you, get it cleared lad! :p

Thanks for the tip drew will try that next time.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Hi Ski,

Really nice set up ! :) Totally inspired me to get out again this year. Since purchasing a DD Frontline last year I have only done one proper overnight hang as I got too cold, so I've been looking to get a reasonably priced underblanket for a while now as I heard this was the way forward!

I've read that carrying the DD underblanket and a sleeping bag can be quite bulky and heavy? How did you find it?

What cord did you use to make your whoopie slings? I've seen a youtube post how to make them but it was using samson amsteel 1/8 inch rope, which I cant seem to find in the UK.

Also, i cant really see where you used the soft shackles in your pic. It looks as if you still have Karibinas, or perhaps I am mistaken? Are the soft shackles intended to replace Karibinas?

Cheers,

Chris

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks Teepee, your help on whoopies and soft shakles was a saviour. Your mailbox has been full since then however and was unable to thank you, get it cleared lad! :p

Thanks for the tip drew will try that next time.

No probs Ski, its clear now. :)

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hi Ski,

Really nice set up ! :) Totally inspired me to get out again this year. Since purchasing a DD Frontline last year I have only done one proper overnight hang as I got too cold, so I've been looking to get a reasonably priced underblanket for a while now as I heard this was the way forward!

I've read that carrying the DD underblanket and a sleeping bag can be quite bulky and heavy? How did you find it?

What cord did you use to make your whoopie slings? I've seen a youtube post how to make them but it was using samson amsteel 1/8 inch rope, which I cant seem to find in the UK.

Also, i cant really see where you used the soft shackles in your pic. It looks as if you still have Karibinas, or perhaps I am mistaken? Are the soft shackles intended to replace Karibinas?

Cheers,

Chris

Yup not yet used the softshackles, the karbinders are really light so I opted for them for now. Underblanket and sleeping bag is very bulky but not so heavy. Luckily I spent most of last year refining my kit to bare essentials and now everything fits fine.

Because my feet here cold last time this weekend I went overboard and ended up sweating at night from heat in base layers.

Front line
DD UQ
foam mat
karimor survival blanket over the mat (the reflective one, folded in half as its huge)
Real fur under my sleeping bag. It was toasty. I also paid more attention to the wind directiuon and setup my tarp to block it.

The underquilt also stops a lot of wind as it sits higher than my hammock.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
I think this is going to be the year for refining my kit too! Just missed out on Teepee's stringy goodness, but whoopie slings, softshakles and toggles look to be the way to go! Thanks for sharing. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE