Green oak structure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Alreet.ive been knocking up a green oak structure for a client and I know how some of you like a bit of timber so I thought I'd share it.i designed and built this one myself from footing to roof. it started life as a sketch on his kitchen table.all mortice and tenon proper Job like.10x6 green oak beams and red cedar roof tiles.
9da9fb37d473044e4e5f13829043d944.jpg

7e64cd0d566d76a7d405141e9bf87cf5.jpg

6d41c65cb1ee838ed5e03492dab39a2a.jpg
fabb6fbb477466344dc86a9ac44ade59.jpg

5133af3ead629ea07b92fc0d79365025.jpg

c4bd921a1239628eeb652f230a2f4c2b.jpg

3127e2741ad2e93a1fe37fa72fe4fbaf.jpg

623feeb35dd160408dc9798e8cb292c8.jpg
cb55edbfc01326bfbbb1583383ff1a60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I really like that. Clearly well considered and expertly built. I love the way it fits and flows with the surroundings and is so much in keeping, it's impressive.
I have no wish to embarass anyone but I would be very interested in a rough breakdown of the time and costs of such a project.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I really like that. Clearly well considered and expertly built. I love the way it fits and flows with the surroundings and is so much in keeping, it's impressive.
I have no wish to embarass anyone but I would be very interested in a rough breakdown of the time and costs of such a project.
No embarrassment it's what I do for a living.i am happy to explain in detail anything you'd like to know.it was a fairly expensive project to be honest and the client wanted everything lights/heaters/wifi on top of the build.structures massive and is hard too tell from the photos and dimensions of timber 7 m long and 4.8 wide.others I have made have been half the size.its also got a proper foundation in place which would normally be over kill but the clients brief was their could be 20/30 people stood on it at a given time.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
What a beautiful job you've done you should be proud of your self

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
No embarrassment it's what I do for a living.i am happy to explain in detail anything you'd like to know.it was a fairly expensive project to be honest and the client wanted everything lights/heaters/wifi on top of the build.structures massive and is hard too tell from the photos and dimensions of timber 7 m long and 4.8 wide.others I have made have been half the size.its also got a proper foundation in place which would normally be over kill but the clients brief was their could be 20/30 people stood on it at a given time.

Cheers. In that case I'd like to know rough cost of materials - mainly the timber used, rough number of man hours and cost of putting the timber frame up. Also the separate costs of the roof if I can.
One other thing I'd like to know is considering how well it fits into the surroundings, did the design change much during construction or did you have the design visualised for that space from the beginning. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself properly, anyhow either way it's very well done.

EDIT. I think what I'm trying to ask is that since I find the proportions of the structure so pleasing, was that down to initial planning or did it evolve with the size of beams and the space you had to work with. I hope this is clearer.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Really nice work .
That will only become even more beautiful when that green Oak turns silver....
Proper job

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Thanks folks really appreciate it.i agree possibilities are endless with an outdoor space like that

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Cheers. In that case I'd like to know rough cost of materials - mainly the timber used, rough number of man hours and cost of putting the timber frame up. Also the separate costs of the roof if I can.
One other thing I'd like to know is considering how well it fits into the surroundings, did the design change much during construction or did you have the design visualised for that space from the beginning. I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself properly, anyhow either way it's very well done.

EDIT. I think what I'm trying to ask is that since I find the proportions of the structure so pleasing, was that down to initial planning or did it evolve with the size of beams and the space you had to work with. I hope this is clearer.

Pretty much had it visualised from the start tbh.being a carpenter for a living I'm used too breaking things down in my head.the biggest shock was the weight of the green oak absolute spine popping knee shaking weight.bogies were used too manoeuvre the timber around and genie lifts for all the hoisting.i'd say the job was impossible without this equipment.
I had all sorts of prices for the green oak £6000 £4800 ended up getting it for £2800 from venables in Cheshire
http://www.venablesoak.co.uk/.
The roof structure and decking area are made from standard tantalised timber bought from any decent builders merchants.the cedar shingles were bought from a company online.i tried a few reclaim yards which had em but not the quantity I needed.
The build took about 6 weeks for two men to Finnish but 3weeks of that was erecting the green oak itself.
In answer too your question about proportions.i had pondered the size of timber too use for a while dimensions and loadings etc.with the roof being very lightweight in structure such massive timbers were not needed really .i have made various projects in the past from reclaimed oak sleepers and knew that dimension of timber works well.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE