Bushcraft and creating green areas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Hi there,

I wondered if the people out there could share their conservation ideas and actions here on the forum?
Maybe also nice to share ideas and inspire and motivate each other?
Here my actions:
(Me myself worked in Nature Conservation for 14 years, but that was professionaly)
My gardens at home:
When I started renting my house I began the process of creating a green area around my house.
In the front garden I removed 90% of the stones/street tiles. I did a very quick look at the soil type, the previous land use (also historic and ancient) and know what the water levels were. I planted a solitairy Oak tree, a native Holly bush a native Ash and a cultivated sweet Cherry tree (edible). The Cherry is a medium high breed.
When I return from a walk in the forest around some grasslands I tap my shoes against the house, so some native plants have come around my house, for instance celandine, violet and lathyrus.
In the back yard I also removed 90% of the tiles, I planted edible Apple, Oak, Bramble, edible Cherry, edible plum, Hornbeam, Holly. The fence is a natural one; privet and laurel. Pre precious tenants planted these.
We bought some chickens (also like homesteading) but the grass is non fertilezed and we dont use chemicals anywhere. So room for native plants.
The garden is a home to butterflies, some grasshoppers (not many), song birds, mice, stone marten, hedge hog and is visited by bats, butterflies, birds and several insects.

Lots of time I wanted to be away from the town/city noise, so after some enquiries in the local smal village, with some luck and one contact there, I managed to temporarily rent a 300m2 piece of land prevously unattended. It is situated next to fruit plantations, forest, village, vegetable garden, Horse grassland and a herb rich chalk grasland.
I started by mowing the stingy nettles and thistels. Never used chemical and suchs.
Now this area has a small natural shelter plus fireplace, fruit shrubs, some vegetables an a herb rich grassland (the plants came back after extensive mowing). I also planted trees there but unlickily I had to remove these.
This area is now tuned into my basecamp were I relax, carve wood, invite friends who also love nature and gather food.
Of course the garden is home to several mice, nesting song birds, and is visited by bats, owls, badger, fox, grashoppers etc and butterflies

One does not Always have to buy indigious plants and trees. Sometimes in the forest a little tree can be part of natural massive regenation so the particular tree will have no means of survival, unless dug out :). I also collect seeds of plants and reseed them.

So hope you liked this small contribution to counteract our loss of Forests, Green areas, nature sites and also have some mini rewilding ideas or projects :).

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't know about re-wilding but on our place we started by felling trees, grubbing up hedgerows and mowing down weeds. I have been shrieked at by more than one idiot that cutting down trees is somehow "wrong". The trees I cut down were volunteer weed trees - ash that went to heat our home, elder that pops up everywhere and volunteer sycamore. In their place are now everything from wild service, true service, hornbeam, linden, oak, hazel, heritage apples, pears, medlar, mulberry, cherries, quince, plum, gage, damson, crab apple, bullace.....well you get the idea. More than thirty species of trees, plus bat boxes, owl boxes, hedgehog habitats, solitary and communal bee habitats, bank and field voles, mice, kestrels, marsh harriers.........again, you get the idea.

I believe in this country I am a steward of my land. I need to take what I need from it sympathetically, whilst managing it as a habitat for other creatures too. I will kill and eat those creatures that are abundant and destructive..here that is pigeon, rabbit etc. and just kill those that are verminous. Its not "wild" in any sense, but I will pit the biodiversity of my land against any truly wild land.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Don't know about re-wilding but on our place we started by felling trees, grubbing up hedgerows and mowing down weeds. I have been shrieked at by more than one idiot that cutting down trees is somehow "wrong". The trees I cut down were volunteer weed trees - ash that went to heat our home, elder that pops up everywhere and volunteer sycamore. In their place are now everything from wild service, true service, hornbeam, linden, oak, hazel, heritage apples, pears, medlar, mulberry, cherries, quince, plum, gage, damson, crab apple, bullace.....well you get the idea. More than thirty species of trees, plus bat boxes, owl boxes, hedgehog habitats, solitary and communal bee habitats, bank and field voles, mice, kestrels, marsh harriers.........again, you get the idea.

I believe in this country I am a steward of my land. I need to take what I need from it sympathetically, whilst managing it as a habitat for other creatures too. I will kill and eat those creatures that are abundant and destructive..here that is pigeon, rabbit etc. and just kill those that are verminous. Its not "wild" in any sense, but I will pit the biodiversity of my land against any truly wild land.

Hugh I agree with what you say in your post. Found that when I was still a forester that the public didn't like it if we either cut or planted trees. They always found something to complain about.
A few years back I got screamed at for trimming the trees back near a local road junction. Again "weed" trees (willows/saughs) and the junction is a bad one that has taken a few local lives.
Trees seem to be very emotive and it's hard to win with some folk. I can equate things in my head as I've planted way more trees than I've felled, tens of thousands more.
As well as well "fuzzy tree hugger" species like native hardwood and genetically native conifers I also planted roughly 1'800 commercial conifers a day during planting season. (enough to offset my and all of us heres carbon footprint for a couple of lifetimes :D ).
Just have to explain to folk what & why you're doing it, from what I've seen of your domain it seems like you've set up a fairly ideal place through your hardworking and careful planning. Long may you continue.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE