Some oak and antler walking staffs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Hello all,

well in penance for my other thread tonight that's full of questions I thought I'd share some work I've actually done!

I actually made these in 2012 to be Christmas presents for my 2 best friends (and me;) )

They were designed as a matching set, all made from a single antler and wood from the same tree. Three separate and individual things, but forever linked and built of the same stuff, just like me and the two other guys who now own them. This is further symbolised by the 3 strand knot that covers the joints, tightly bound side by side and never ending.

The wood is from a 20y/o oak that I felled on my Father-in-Laws property in North Wales, the antler came from the Isle of Uist in Scotland (one of the recipients has Scottish ancestry).
These were the first staffs I ever made and I was pleased with how they came out for a first go. I'm quite good at covering up my mistakes! haha!!

Anyway, enough waffle, here are the pics:

The shafts after seasoning and staining:

The antler as it arrived:

And where it ended up:

I got my father to teach me how to tie these, he's a member of the International Guild of Knot Tyers (yes that's a real thing!)

Finished with some yatch varnish and brass ferules:

And I made a wee card explaining all the parts and meanings, also so they could see what the antler looked like before I hacked it up!:

Sorry for the crappy phone pics, it's all I have of them unfortunately. Quite literally blood, sweat and swearing went into making these but the chaps liked them so it was all worth it in the end.

Jim

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Thanks guys, I've got a few more bits drying out at the mo so hopefully will be able to make some more later this year.

Jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE