timber framing (Robin's new shed)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
We have just had two German craftsmen staying with us for a fortnight and they built us a beautiful timber frame 'shed' next to the house for us to use as a log store come bicycle store come somewhere for smokers to lurk when it's raining. (This photo was taken before the roof beams were put on the back.)
IMG_6350.jpg

It is made from larch and will have weather boarding on the left hand end to keep out the worst of the rain and for the moment green galvanised sheets on the roof. Longer term we'd like a shingled roof, but that'll take some time and money so have to wait for a bit.

... and of course there is the obligatory video which was taken on 'barn raising day' - I'm afraid I wasn't around enough to film for the previous week whilst they were preparing the timbers but Robin probably has photos.

Nicola

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Interesting stuff Nicola thanks for sharing.

Now make sure you sweep all that glass up before somebody does themselves a mischief :rolleyes:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I want one!
you know there's been a lot of chit chat about having a timber frame building put up here,at Chopwell Wood, as part of the "educational facilities":rolleyes:
There is certainly scope to do something like this, I would imagine the cost to be restrictive, although I wouldn't be paying for it of course!
Fantastic work;)
best wishes
Steve

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>We have just had two German craftsmen..

They would't be dressed like they were about to set sail from Plymouth for the Nyew Worlde, would they?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
>>We have just had two German craftsmen..

They would't be dressed like they were about to set sail from Plymouth for the Nyew Worlde, would they?

No, they are no longer journeymen, they have chosen not to become "masters" as signing up costs about £8000 but they no longer wear journeyman outfits. Michael did his apprenticeship in timber framing then became a journeyman wearing the "plimoth" gear, he spent time in Sweden and also in the UK working with various green woodworkers. Hannes did most of his journeytime in Japan working with temple builders so our frame has elements of British, German and Japanese style. I think the German journeyman system is a fascinating way to learn craft knowledge, shame we don't have a similar thing here.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
It seems a shame to put on a tin roof, How long would it take to shingle it? I mean cut the shingles and all that. You could run a shingle making course, a dozen or so people cutting shingles over a couple of weekends and bobs your uncle ;)

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It seems a shame to put on a tin roof, How long would it take to shingle it? I mean cut the shingles and all that. You could run a shingle making course, a dozen or so people cutting shingles over a couple of weekends and bobs your uncle ;)

Yep I agree and hope to shingle it but not this winter. Shingling takes a long time, they have to everlap by 2/3 so effectively you need to make enough to cover the roof three times each one cleft, tapered and shaved i reckon it would take me at least a month full time. For now it is getting unduline sheets, they are made from bitumin and fibre and apparently reasonably eco friendly. they don't sound like a drum in the rain and look OK, if not as nice as shingle of tile.

ganstey

Settler
Looks a cracking piece of work Nicola.

They've just finished putting up the frame of the new Craft Barn at Westonbirt Arboretum. The oak frames were made during a week-long course about a month ago, and they raised the frame weekend before last. Countryfile were there filming, and they did a timelapse sequence of it going up. I understand it is being broadcast on this weeks show. I know the coppice worker and his apprentice who prepared the chestnut shingles for the roof - all 4000 of them. The shingles aren't on yet, but should be going on soon.

If you're planning a visit to the Arboretum its well worth a look.

G

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
That makes my workshop look like an 'out of the box' shed. hang on, it is :rolleyes:

I did want to go timber framed like that oo, but it was going to cost £12k for the frame :( I'm in hte process of putting up a pole structure as an outdoor workshop, but it's stop gap (pre shingle) roof is old sheet tin fromthe neighbouring farm. I'm not relishing the thought of making that many shingles either.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
We were very lucky that the guys are friends of Robin's and chose to come over and do it as a 'holiday' in return for bed and board. Mind you keeping them in food and beer was by no means cheap :eek: It was however great fun and the house seems strangely quiet now.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
My Father used to mention the Journeyman system as he knew it during the 1950's. The Journeyman apprentices were those in their final year (4 or 5). When I finished my apprenticeship he called me a journeyman.
I still use the word in conversation sometimes when talking with craftsmen.

With a view on the fantastic little barn roof and being shy of the work needed to shingle it, why not consider using wayney edged timber as per shiplap. This may look just as good as shingles and is nearly as traditional. (particularly in northern Europe) I know it probably involves much more legwork to mill etc, but worth the effort in the long run. If you can find some more bendy sticks to get boards of say 12'' wide out at 3/4 thickness it may be pleasing on the eye. There is probably a point where the sizes may start to dominate too much and spoil the overall structure.

My 1/2p worth!

Swyn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE