Dave Budd workshop tour (pic heavy!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
its a concrete paving slab and yes :) Though to speed things up I sprinkle a little sand blasting grit on it (thoguh plain sand also works). Much, much cheaper than messing about with a diamond plate or wet n dry paper!

Thanks for that Dave, that's a very useful thing to know:)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've had workshops in a tiny summer house, a bench in my bedroom, a bench in the back of a garage and all sorts. I find that the more space I have, the more i need! My current workshop building at 5x11m is twice the size of anything I've had before, then I doubled it again and am still needing more space! Just as well I have 10 acres to play with :D

Mar 14, 2012
uk
ooooh give me dates for the working party i must come

oh and if you ever find your power hammer too small or you have or ever have any tools you dont use i will more than happily help you out you might even get a bob or 2 :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
oh, don't think the idea of belt drive hasn't crossed my mind :D. It would probably cost me more to install and convert machines to than a decent sized genny would do :( It would be VERY cool though! There is a smith in the US who has a belt driven workshop, he has two steam engines and dozens of machines. It looks fantastic.

I sometimes forget how lucky I am to work in such a lovely spot. To me its my place of work and I spend most of my time focussing on the job in hand and not slipping over in the mud.

There are a lot of steam engine enthusiasts in dire need of a place to store traction engines with a bit of a workshop nearby.....could maybe get a decent bit of barter and servicing going ?
Before you know it you'll have village of craftsmen on site :D and then it'll be steam fayre open days :rolleyes:

Toddy.....friends with a fellow with a steam road roller :D

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I've had workshops in a tiny summer house, a bench in my bedroom, a bench in the back of a garage and all sorts. I find that the more space I have, the more i need! My current workshop building at 5x11m is twice the size of anything I've had before, then I doubled it again and am still needing more space! Just as well I have 10 acres to play with :D

Trust me when your working with 1 meter pluss objects you need space and your space is making me green with envy.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Oh I know that one too. When I'm making bellows I have to set up a trestle table to have space to work on the flat and the same when I'm making things like a trailer for carting steel in to the woods from the roadside (I'm isolated by a 150yard trip through a grumpy git's hilly/muddy field, so no road access). Most people can lay things out on the concrete floor or outside on the ground, but I don't have flat or level surfaces to use :(

Toddy, sounds like something to think about for the future. I'm going to a local steam fair soon, maybe I'll chat to some folk in the beer tent of an evening ;) I will encounter problems due to my poor access though. It got so bad last year that I haad to buy a tractor just to bring materials in!

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Oh I know that one too. When I'm making bellows I have to set up a trestle table to have space to work on the flat and the same when I'm making things like a trailer for carting steel in to the woods from the roadside (I'm isolated by a 150yard trip through a grumpy git's hilly/muddy field, so no road access). Most people can lay things out on the concrete floor or outside on the ground, but I don't have flat or level surfaces to use :(

Toddy, sounds like something to think about for the future. I'm going to a local steam fair soon, maybe I'll chat to some folk in the beer tent of an evening ;) I will encounter problems due to my poor access though. It got so bad last year that I haad to buy a tractor just to bring materials in!

That must suck space but problem with access, the real problem I am suffering with in my work space is heat it's freazing and we can't fit a heater in the garage but when the cane get's here i'll be able to run a heat gun for a while.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
working in the cold is something you get used to 'm afraid. I can heat the dry room, but everything else is unheated. People always assume that the forge is great for warming the place up, but it doesn't work like that. Partly because a chunk of the radiant heat is being drawn straight out through the chimney along with bad gasses, but mostly because when you are forging is when you are most active and thus need the hea least!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
had a digger level the ground, bought a flat packed wooden building, borrowed a landy with trailor and provided a couple of mates with cake and tea :) Simples!

If you are talking about planning applications and the like, then it needed a 'prior notification of a forestry or agricultural building'. Basically a cheque to the council for £50 and a brief of what was planned.

I have to do everything by the book when it comes to planning, as my only access is through a neighbours field (I have vehicular right of access). Unfortunately he is a very difficult individual with a track record of criminal damage and assault on people he sees as an afront to his little world (such as people straying off the beaten track through his field and parking on the public road outside his place). He and his wife are also on the parish council. The village is basically that depicted in Hot Fuzz :sigh:

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
working in the cold is something you get used to 'm afraid. I can heat the dry room, but everything else is unheated. People always assume that the forge is great for warming the place up, but it doesn't work like that. Partly because a chunk of the radiant heat is being drawn straight out through the chimney along with bad gasses, but mostly because when you are forging is when you are most active and thus need the hea least!

It's a issue when getting the varnish to dry on cane and carbon, if the heat isn't even it can really effect the finish to the point you have to remove it and start again so I would be more happy with a stable temperature than warm enough to work in and getting rid of the funky fumes would be helpful, epoxy and varnish lead to some odd effects in a closed spaces. I am working on a dryer cab at the moment but I haven't got the design just right yet that keeps a stable temp and removes the fumes it's just my Arduino that controls the airflow is the issue.

Your neighbour sounds like a right little Hitler, we had one like that live close to me until a few years ago she was obnoxious and hypocritical complained about everything from kid next door playing "Loudly" in the garden (a 3 year old kid) to objecting to planning permission for a modification to a house to add a downstairs toilet (would have meant a extension) round the corner etc, but she had plastic Doric columns infront of her front door had 3 dog's she let defecate all over the place and never cleaned up after them and threatened people all the time and did the little old harmless lady act in front of authority figurers and found out to her cost you don't do it to a off duty police man.

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
had a digger level the ground, bought a flat packed wooden building, borrowed a landy with trailor and provided a couple of mates with cake and tea :) Simples!

If you are talking about planning applications and the like, then it needed a 'prior notification of a forestry or agricultural building'. Basically a cheque to the council for £50 and a brief of what was planned.

I have to do everything by the book when it comes to planning, as my only access is through a neighbours field (I have vehicular right of access). Unfortunately he is a very difficult individual with a track record of criminal damage and assault on people he sees as an afront to his little world (such as people straying off the beaten track through his field and parking on the public road outside his place). He and his wife are also on the parish council. The village is basically that

depicted in Hot Fuzz :sigh:[/QUOT

Thanks, loved the last bit about Hot Fuzz. Just thinking of maybe buying some woodland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE