Great British made boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Today I visited William Lennon traditional bootmakers, they have been making boots pretty much the same way for four generations.

This is the sort of boot they do amongst others
P1080763+copy-big+(1).jpg
P1080784%20copy-list.jpg

leather coming in

IMG_6216.jpg

clicking

IMG_6223.jpg

"closing" Pat has worked there over 50 years

IMG_6236.jpg

This machine sews through close on 1/2" of leather to make the ;leather soles up.
IMG_6276.jpg

IMG_6272.jpg

hobnails anyone? This is an old pair back in for resoling, they look good for a few years again.
IMG_6299.jpg

another old pair in for new soles

IMG_6305.jpg

My mate andy choosing the leather for his boots, we ordered a pair each, can't wait for mine to be done.

IMG_6307.jpg

More pics on my blog here
http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/the-last-british-bootmakers.html

and most important if you fancy a pair of boots that will last you a lifetime yet cost a lot less that you might think check out the website here http://www.williamlennon.co.uk

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
what a lovely selection they have! and reasonabley price too, just sent them an email regarding a pair or two :)

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
That was interesting. Nice to see traditional top quality craftsmanship regardless of what the product may be. Very refreshing in an age where almost everything is made in China.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Well now you can see who made em. Just got mail saying mine are being clicked and closed today, how exciting.

Had quite a few chats with them over the last three years Robin, bought a pair of Hobnails for my brother-in-laws 40th, fantastic stuff, thanks for the post!
What are you going for?
i'm thinking of ordering the big daddy of Lennons this year, the Fell ( or shepherds ) boot!

Best.
Chris.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I can thoroughly recommend the Lennon boots. I got a brand new pair of their Ammo boots for about half price on the bay. Someone had managed to buy a pair and then got given another pair of boots as a gift so he sold the Lennons unworn! Personally, I'd have kept both!

Anyway, they are an amazingly solid pair of boots. The ones I got aren't on their web site but are essential the same as their work boot but in black grained leather. Heavy Commando sole and leather laces. They will easily see me out.

I was very surprised to find they were comfortable out of the box. With a few months breaking in I can see them being very comfortable. They are quite heavy of course.

Looking at another pair now in brown! Now what do I fancy? The gentleman's Derby boot or the Hobnail maybe? The Zug Grain Field boot has a lot of admirers too...

If anyone's thinking of a solid, British made and repairable boot at an excellent price, get over to the web site!

No connection to Wm. Lennon's apart from being the proud owner of a pair!

Gareth

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
I love to see workshops like that, and I'm so, so glad that this type of work continues to this day, and may it live on.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm another admirer of the human skill involved in making the boots, the boots are practical and at the same time quite charming.

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
You're all a bit late to the party. I've been tearing chunks out the paving flags here in London with a pair of hobnailed tug'o'war boots (reverse kip out leather), for years. Also have the B5s and the ones in the waxy yellowish leather.

I never thought that W Lennon would interest bushcrafters. Nice to see I was wrong.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I am intrigued by the shepherd's boots. Why do they have that extraordinary curve on the foot?

A great site and lovely to know that there is still a beautifully made British boot out there at a very reasonable cost.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE