Lowa combat or mountain?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Early P

Mar 8, 2021
Sheffield
Before i pull the trigger on a new pair of either, is there any difference between the two? I mean apart from the combats being a little taller? None of my previous boots ever got any attention. My old style German para boots were a decade old when i got them and i wore them into the ground with no laces in and they were ultra comfortable. I never treated them and they stayed water proof and never cracked. For the last year of their lives i had to gaffa tape the right sole on every week but i could have had them resoled. Will the Lowa take this abuse? With my work and excursions into the country i cover an average of 40-50 miles a week so they wont be sitting in a cupboard waiting for the soles to deteriorate. I have looked at other stuff on the market, Haix, Meindle etc and the Lowa, to my eyes, are the least offensive looking. Do have the concern that the mountain boots being a little power will offer less protection and support but that may just be from my experience of only ever having high leg combat boots.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I have both. Love them.
The mountain look a little more civilised, can’t say I’ve noticed any difference in terms of support. They are still higher than normal walking boots.

The combat boots are great in the snow, mud and rain and offer a bit more height.

You won’t be disappointed either way

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Have a look at the Meindl Ortler and Perfekt. You will see that the soles are sewn on here. That is the classical way to make boots.
Boots that look different, the "modern" stile, are glued together and of course will not last as long as such quality boots in the old stile and make.

Such old school boots are offered by

Meindl
Steinkogler
Völkl
Trabert
Geiger
Schladminger
Hanwag
Limmer
Le Soulor
Henri Canin
Galibier

and a couple of Italians that you can find here:

That are surely not all makers who still produce quality boots and of course I didn't try out them all.
I just want to point out that there is no reason to buy throw away boots and moan about that in the old times the shoes did last longer than nowadays.

You still can get the good old stuff brand new.

Attention, not all makers above offer exclusively sewn leather boots!
Some also offer throw away boots.

You simply have to look how the soles are attached. If they don't look like a Meindl Perfekt where the upper meets the sole they are glued. That's it.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Go low, they're a slightly clompy boot and I found the lower style more wearable. The clompyness disappears when walking.... They just roll along the road. The Germans know their boots.

Avoid fuel spills. It kills the soles in short order. Get decent polish like Erdal, Lowas own stuff or Altberg Ledergris. The leather quality is excellent and will last forever if taken care of.

Reactions: Wildgoose

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I have a pair of the Lowa mountain boots. Very well-made. I don't wear them that often (I wore them on my motorbike sometimes and wear them for now rare winter mountain trips) but whenever I do wear them they rub on the inner side of my heel area on each foot very badly. I'm not sure why. I've worn many different boots over the years, mostly without problem (other than a pair of Scarpa Mantas that always rubbed the back of my heels ...and let in water)

I need to wear preventative compeeds with the Lowas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE