good winter campsites in lakes or yorkshire dales?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Well, this thread seems to have died a death. Is anyone interested in going up for a meet. With my group buys I have rather a lot on my plate at moment but could squeeze a meet in one weekend.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I was there for 5 days. We came home just over a week ago. I'd be willing to go there again. We had a good time. I'll post some pics in a bit.

You can have fires in the woods. We were up the top in the woods in a pod. All of them had fire places and there were plenty of old ones kicking about.

We had the place to ourselves mainly sat - wed, there were a couple of people there when we arrived but they left the next day. We spoke to Arthur ( the owner) and he said he was quiet with a couple of people on the weekends.

You have to get the wood from him now, he does not bring it round anymore.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
DSC00062.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The roof coverings are plastic tiles. The pods are double skinned with insulation between and a layer of thermofoil to keep them cool in summer. They are carpeted inside with a small window at the back, the doors are lockable. The owner has also put a small heater inside that runs off of butane cannisters, but it creates condensation inside unless the window is well open, but then it doesn't warm up much. Your better off with a nice fire outside with a tarp. I don't have a pic of inside unfortunately.

The owner said they cost £5000 each, and that they cost nearly £3000 to build.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The roof coverings are plastic tiles, they are double skinned with insulation between and a layer of thermofoil to keep them cool in summer. They are carpeted inside with a small window at the back, the doors are lockable. The owner has also put a small heater inside that runs off of butane cannisters, but it creates condensation inside unless the window is well open, but then it doesn't warm up much. Your better off with a nice fire outside with a tarp. I don't have a pic of inside unfortunately.

Thanks for the info, a decent amount of that cost will be the two front doors, fitting and also the roof tiles I suppose as external doors don't come cheap.

Five grand does seem like an awfull lot of cash though:eek:
I am going to have to have a look at one of those some day.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I like that cabin Rik. It could be a good idea to have one in my back garden, as shelter from the kids and the mrs :D when they go on the warpath.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/wa00030

concrete base, put in a cheap woodburner or paraffin heater?

Me and a mate are just in the process of completing a "workshop" for him.

Thats 5.2m x3.5m or so.
Its got 50mm kingspan insulation, 100mmx50mm stud walls covered with a sheet of ply on the inside and out ,the outside ply covered with Tyvek then battoned out and tongued and grooved boards on the outside, a window in the back end, side door and two large garage doors that I made up.
He's found a source of reconstituted marble flooring thats supposed to be a fiver per square yard so it's getting that as well all being well.
We got the art room benches out of a local school that was being demolished and as soon as the floors levelled up and in right its getting the woodburning stove built from a gas cylinder that we made for the place as well.
I reckon its going to be nicer environment than most peoples home office:D

Including the foundations I reckon its going to be about two and a half to three grand all in.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
that site looks excellent. I would deffo be up for a trip there sometime soon. Even swmbo likes the look of it especially the pods I think they appeal to her inner smurf. Does anyone know the costs of the pods by any chance?

Andy

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Does anyone know the costs of the pods by any chance?

Andy

A rather whopping five grand if I read this right...
The roof coverings are plastic tiles. The pods are double skinned with insulation between and a layer of thermofoil to keep them cool in summer. They are carpeted inside with a small window at the back, the doors are lockable. The owner has also put a small heater inside that runs off of butane cannisters, but it creates condensation inside unless the window is well open, but then it doesn't warm up much. Your better off with a nice fire outside with a tarp. I don't have a pic of inside unfortunately.

There must be places that could make something very like that for less money, I reckon I could, nice work if you can get it eh?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
that site looks excellent. I would deffo be up for a trip there sometime soon. Even swmbo likes the look of it especially the pods I think they appeal to her inner smurf. Does anyone know the costs of the pods by any chance?

Andy

£25 per night, they can sleep 5. Thats not per person.

http://grizedale-camping.co.uk/?Camping_Pods

Demographic.. They are really well built and the materials are thick and solid. They will last 10 years without maintanance according to the bloke, so he wasn't bothered about the price as he will nearly double his money in the first year if he can fill it every night. Realistically though he will at least make his money back.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Cheers Hillbill she is so keen she wants to go next weekend!! best get me skates on to finish all this chuffin decorating!

Thats actually very reasonable I think.

Cheers

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE