good winter campsites in lakes or yorkshire dales?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Just for info guys ive just rang the Grizedale site and confirmed that you can have fires on site,(Not that i didnt belive hillbill) the guys really friendly on the phone and this time of year theres no real need to book,i will get some pics and put then up next week when i get back.

He is a good bloke. We're going for a week in December sometime, hopefully get one of the pods they look ok. They weren't there when i went last.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I to have just rung Grisedale up.
Space for Hammocks.
Wood £2 a bag.
Open fires obviously allowed.
£6 a head /night.

Will wait for Andybysea's report. Definitly sounds interesting.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was just thinking the same thing.......
fireside.gif
tent.gif

What do you reckon Wayland, I think it needs checking out :D

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
The camping at Grizedale is excellent. Fires are allowed and the owner is a great chap. Loo's are immaculate and if you don't wanna camp you can hire one of these......

The_Dwelling_by_mad1dave.jpg

:D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I reckon it's worth a crack.

I'm snowed under with work at the mo. Do you want to give them a ring or I can try next week sometime.

I`ll give the guy a call tomorrow and see how he feels about us arriving on mass. I think he could be up for it as he`ll be fairly quiet over the winter months.

I`ll check out hammock dwelling spaces and what exactly the crack is with the fires and firewood etc.

It would be nice to be able to get out of the way somewhere and still have the facilities on hand.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just got off the phone to the owner and he sounds like he`s up for a meet of some description. I explained numbers could vary and that we`d want ground fires, not a problem he said.
Obviously he`s getting into a quiet period so the sooner the better I suppose.

So is anyone up for a reccy ?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Hi,
Well got back about 6pm today,the only day the weather was any good,anyway we arrived at approx 3pm Monday the site owner was tending to his sheep, he came over and introduced himself and showed us where we could park and were the wooded area was.
We drove half way up to it, and went for a recce round,the actual area used for camping is not huge(ive got plenty of pics but being a computor dim wit and having read the how too page i still cant figure out how to post them) and the tree's are quite spread out.Our original intention to to tarp it, but due to the weather, very heavy rain and wind gusting,we opted for a 1man tent each. There are lots of places spread out where people had pitched and had fires but due to the weather conditions we chose the higher ground near to the pods which was alot firmer. We set up the tents,and got a brew and some grub on,which we had to do in the tents as the weather was getting worse,we bought a bag of wood (£2.00 a bin bag sized bag) but decided to not bother even trying, it really was that bad.
So we decided to have a walk around the area, there's a drinking water tap in the woods,
approx a hundred yards down from them next to the farm house is the showers and toilets,
which i can confirm are very well maintained.(we where very glad of them the next day).We then went for a walk to the local village,we went into the local pub The Eagleshead which only opens at 7pm this time of year and had a few Guiness and a couple of games of pool,we where the only ones in for most of the time.After a couple of hours we headed back for a early night as we were off to walk up the Old man of Coniston the next day.Tuesday the weather was even worse, got up had brekkie and drove over to Coniston approx 8miles away we walked up the Old man but in the process got completely soaked through i think my goretex jacket needs reproofing,my buffalo underneath was completely soaked but kept my warm. By 3pm on the way down the wind was so strong we needed to brace ourselves when the gusts hit as they moved us along the ground or spun us round,and the path was now a river.Once back at the car we got changed and drove back to the site, this is when we where really glad of a nice hot shower each. We bumped into the farmer and he saw the state of are wet kit,and he said do you want to sneak into a pod for the night,but we thanked him and decided to stay in the tents,again we ate in them and thought it was going to be a early night,as it was still chucking it down,and we'd noticed on the way back from Coniston that the pub wasnt going to open tonight,but luckily by 9 pm the rain stopped i split some of the wood from the night before it to kindling and got a fire going and it was soon roaring and lifted our spirts and warmed us up,we got a brew and put a bit of Brandy in it and just chilled out for a couple of hours.The next morning (Today) it was blue skies and no wind but unfortunately it was time to leave.
In summary its a great site,very usefull facilites which we where glad of and the farmer is a very nice chap,the only down side is the wooded area which is used for camping is not huge,and the tree's are quite well spread.ps if anyone want i can email them the pics and they can post them up as i really cant figure how to do it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
No nothing come through yet Ian, I`ve checked my spam folder too.

Andy - can you check the email address on the PM I sent

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Hi managed to sort out photobucket thanks to shewie,heres a few pics of the site,
first one shows pods on the high ground and our tents near by,

lakes006.jpg

second shows general view of wooded area,

lakes011.jpg

next shows fresh water tap at start of wooded area,

lakes009.jpg

another view of woods showing that trees are quite spread out,

lakes007.jpg

and finally after getting wet for 48hrs my brother and me managed to get a fire started at 9pm on our last night,(by the way pic was taken on long exposure hence fire looks more dramatic than it really was)

DSC08299.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well done Andy, sorry mate I never got round to putting the piccies up this morning.

Looks like a good spot me thinks

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
I have been to the Grizedale site a few times, it is really good, HOWEVER!

You need to be aware you are NOT allowed open fires in the wood area.
Fine on the main site and up past the pods on the teraced areas but NOT in the woods themselves, I would not have an open fire there anyway as it is very peaty ground and you could end up causing a massive fire if you are not careful.

The farmer has no problem with hammock and tarp users going into the woods so you are ok on that side too, but I would take a stove or fire box.

Mad Dave and I were there at the same time this year but did not know each other back then, we just kept looking over at each other, both thinking "I bet he is into Bushcraft".;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE