good winter campsites in lakes or yorkshire dales?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

techworm

Forager
Aug 18, 2006
lancashire
anyone recommend some good winter campsites in the lakes or yorkshire dales?
looking for something suitable to take the kids for a weekend, not to remote.

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
The National Trust campsites at Wasdale and Great Langdale are open year round.

The site at Wasdale is in a nice spot at the head of Wast Water but might be too remote. I havnt been to the great langdale site but it is more central. Details can be found on the National Trust website.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Grizedale forest. There is a campsite/riding centre slap bang in the middle of it. Your allowed open fires on it too and the owner even brings you wood in the evening..

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There`s a cracking little site with amenities at Gordale Scar near Malham, I`m pretty sure it`s open all year round too.

Haven`t been for a few good years but it was always an enjoyable stay. There`s a nice walk back into Malham for a pub meal and a few jars aswell.

gordale.jpg

Worth a look

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I've been to the Gordale site this year. Unfortunately it had rained a lot prior to going. We pitched our tent on a small rise in the ground and by the next day we had a moat. lol. We couldn't ascend/descend the gorge either because of it.

A good site though, very beautiful surroundings.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yep, lovely site – take a snorkel!

The Grizedale link doesn’t say anything about open fires – is that for definite?

AJB

I was there at the start of September and it was definite then. The owner is always riding about on his quad bike he brings the wood at tea time/early evening. A bag of kindling and a bag of Oak chunks i think they were ( heavy dense slow burning and need splitting a bit more imo). Best campsite i've used, you can pitch in the woods if you like so tarps etc would be ok i think.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was there at the start of September and it was definite then. The owner is always riding about on his quad bike he brings the wood at tea time/early evening. A bag of kindling and a bag of Oak chunks i think they were ( heavy dense slow burning and need splitting a bit more imo). Best campsite i've used, you can pitch in the woods if you like so tarps etc would be ok i think.

Are those woods in the background part of the site ? I`m just thinking of a possible meet-up

I was thinking of these in the bottom right picture

http://www.grizedale-camping.co.uk/?Grizedale_Camping

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Are those woods in the background part of the site ? I`m just thinking of a possible meet-up

I was thinking of these in the bottom right picture

http://www.grizedale-camping.co.uk/?Grizedale_Camping

No its the ones where the camping pods are above the main field. If you look on their home page its the ones behind the house its seperated from the family field by 250 yards or so and nearer the toilets/showers (which are immaculate i might add)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheers hillbill, i may try this site myself on Monday,i was originally going to use the one i posted,but ive used it many times before, this one seems a good alternative.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Just for info guys ive just rang the Grizedale site and confirmed that you can have fires on site,(Not that i didnt belive hillbill) the guys really friendly on the phone and this time of year theres no real need to book,i will get some pics and put then up next week when i get back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE