Forest Burials

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I suppose it depends on where your loved ones are at the time. My plan is just sitting on my patio with a glass of malt looking out over the valley. Or maybe sitting in the hut looking out through the open door.

I'll send a delayed email to someone :)

Reactions: Toddy

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I wouldn’t condone anyone to go out into the wild and not be found. I’ve been involved in a few missing persons cases where this has been the incident and I can tell you the strain on resources and the time it takes is not fair. Do what you will on your own land or let someone know where you are but please don’t attempt to remain hidden.

Reactions: Toddy and Broch

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I don't want to tell anyone how to live their lives, but a small snippet to some of you saying you'd avoid cancer treatment..

Obviously you haven't delved into the details, so perhaps when you got into it, you may have certain reasons, or even some caveats of where you would get treatment. But my Dad was diagnosed with cancer many many years ago, went through a few operations, radiotherapy, and had countless less pleasant experiences surrounding the treatment...however he lived for over 12 years after his treatment (perhaps more?) of almost total normality. He had to have regular blood tests, had to see the "quack" regularly, maybe once ever few months or so (term of endearment in this instance), and then had a few unpleantries upon its dreaded return and subsequent treatment.

However during those years, he became a grandad to a further 4 children, a sort of grandad to close cousins children (4 of them), he caught up with multiple old friends, he attended multiple parties, weddings, my wedding, went camping with mum and family, was a doggo dad to two more dogs and had a really great full to the brim life....

Admittedly, when he got the news he wasn't going to walk again and that - in a manner, he was on his way out, he turned what was diagnosed to be weeks into 2 nights, not sure if that was his own doing, but he was a strong man and I can't for a moment see him having any desire dragging out something, so I like to think it was in some way on his terms..

But yeh, sort of off topic..but maybe it might be good info for someone out there.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Nice sentiment.
Only issue I can see with it is that one may not possess a robust enough , capable enough ability to GET to those kind of wonderful places once one starts feeling their life force ebb away.
I doubt I would leave it to the last minute but prepare things whilst I still had the force & clarity of mind. ;)

Reactions: TeeDee

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
I don't want to tell anyone how to live their lives, but a small snippet to some of you saying you'd avoid cancer treatment..

Obviously you haven't delved into the details, so perhaps when you got into it, you may have certain reasons, or even some caveats of where you would get treatment. But my Dad was diagnosed with cancer many many years ago, went through a few operations, radiotherapy, and had countless less pleasant experiences surrounding the treatment...however he lived for over 12 years after his treatment (perhaps more?) of almost total normality. He had to have regular blood tests, had to see the "quack" regularly, maybe once ever few months or so (term of endearment in this instance), and then had a few unpleantries upon its dreaded return and subsequent treatment.

However during those years, he became a grandad to a further 4 children, a sort of grandad to close cousins children (4 of them), he caught up with multiple old friends, he attended multiple parties, weddings, my wedding, went camping with mum and family, was a doggo dad to two more dogs and had a really great full to the brim life....
Everyone is different of course & we all have our own philosophy on life & death.
While I'm all for life, I cannot accept it at any cost. I've walked this Earth in relatively good health but if there comes a time when I need long term medical assitance in order to continue to exist I would consider myself inapt to live. I have nothing against extending the lives of others but I guess, some things for me, would be worse than death........or it could be I just don't have enough to live for to warrant the desire to survive a little longer.

Reactions: Aneirin

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Curious how the nearer I get to it the less I care about what happens to my remains after my death. I would like to make a contribution to furthering medical knowledge though - preferably answering the question as to why I had reached such an advanced age and remained so healthy!

Reactions: TeeDee

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Recycle anything you can, then burn the rest and scatter the ashes in my woodland. That's my memorial.

Personally, I don't see the point of hanging onto ashes. My mother-in-law has 2 urns with her former husband and dog within. I made sure my late dog was scattered in the place he loved. Staring at a jar of dust is not how I'd wish to remember him.

Was invited to a neighbour's funeral a few months ago. I expected just a simple memorial service in his garden but turned up to find a freshly dug grave. He was a landscaper by profession and for him to remain forever within the garden he created is rather nice.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Everyone is different of course & we all have our own philosophy on life & death.
While I'm all for life, I cannot accept it at any cost. I've walked this Earth in relatively good health but if there comes a time when I need long term medical assitance in order to continue to exist I would consider myself inapt to live. I have nothing against extending the lives of others but I guess, some things for me, would be worse than death........or it could be I just don't have enough to live for to warrant the desire to survive a little longer.
Not sure if that's what you took from my comment, but that's certainly not what I was getting at, nor what happened in the case of my Dad... his blood tests were merely monitoring what was going on, and something that were pretty much a continuation of his working life, where medicals were a must.

Then again, he had a knee op done when a bit younger, a hip op after an accident horse riding... I've had a life saving op, so maybe all in all, our views on medical assistance or going under the knife might be different to others..

His life after the radiotherapy and op was normal... he travelled abroad without any sort of "medical assistance" and lived daily life without any medical assistance... had he required a carer in life, he'd have topped himself.

Either way, choices are in your hands, and horses for courses...

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
If, like me, you would like to donate your remains to medical research, be aware that you have to give permission and make arrangements before your death. Your family cannot do this post mortem. It is not as straightforward as one would have thought. Contact your local hospital to make arrangements.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Seperate from research, hasn't the rest of the NHS followed NHS Wales and now have a presumption of organ donation now, and have to explicitly opt out?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE