Forest Burials

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone looked into any service or company offering Forest/Tree based natural burials?

I think when my time comes I want to go quietly with minimum hassle and return to the earth whilst nurturing something for the planet.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have.
It's not quite as straight forward as it seems.

The funeral "industry" is gung ho for embalming.....and they claim whatever the hell they like, but it might be 'safe' at point of use....they flush your blood down the sewer and fill you up with chemicals.....but it definitely isn't in the long term.

No one excavates a modern grave without suiting up, because the blasted chemicals they use are toxic, they sublimate, etc.,
It's also one of the reasons that there are so many limitations on planning permissions for cremations/crematoriums. It's not the coffins burning that the issue, its the formaldehyde components in the embalming process.

The issue for forest burials comes up against this because undertakers won't keep a body very long without embalming it, and since they don't do the autopsy deep freeze as a general rule, frozen isn't an option.
Forest burial sites are pretty rare, so it can take time to get the funeral organised....and actually physically get the body on site.
They generally insist that the body isn't embalmed, so the family can have real problems getting it sorted quickly enough.

Honestly ? an unembalmed, natural materials coffin, cremation is actually easier.

I wish it weren't. I like the sound of how Archbishop Tutu's body was treated. Just crumbled bone at the end.

Throw the ashes in the river, bury it under a sapling, that'll do me. So long as it's back to the cycle of life, I'd be happy with that.

Have a google for Forest Burials, problems, and it'll surprise you.
It ought to be such a simple clean alternative. A truly natural process. I have RA, I might come from a very long lived family but this damned disease greatly limits my life and will most certainly shorten it. I wanted everything organised and left tidy so that it was easy for my family to deal with instead of adding to all the upset.
It wasn't so simple as I had hoped.

M

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
In an ideal world I wish to have a simple pagan burial in a Forrest.
Rap me up in a sheet & have my family & friends lower me down for nature to take its natural course, so I can be returned to earth..Its not going to happen.
So the next best thing is to be cremated & have your ashes scattered or buried.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Reactions: TeeDee

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Alternatively, I don't think there are any laws against burials on private land...

When my Dad passed away there was talk about me and my cousin (who is more like a brother) digging a hole in the garden as Dad said at one point "Bury me in the garden and let the kids play on the lawn above me..."

Decided a more formal process was the way to go in the end, but I don't think he was embalmed, he was buried less than a week of his passing.

Reactions: henchy3rd

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Weavers was a popular folk music group, back in the 60's.
Apparently one died and was cremated to be turned into his garden soil. He had concluded that the garden was where most of "him" had come from. Amen.

I want to be cremated. You and your pals load up the truck with a few cases of beer and go for a rip up the logging road in the Bowron River valley. A lot of "me" has come from hunts in there. Have some beers and scatter my ashes to the mountain winds.

Reactions: Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I aim to have my Warhammer armies arrayed around me like a Terracotta army.

Ill need at least ten acres.
Warhammer armies?

They are quite the expensive little recreation from what I remember and I can't entertain the notion the prices have gone down rather than up.

One wonders how a Tengu maybe able to afford such a things without the imprisonment of that dreaded three letter word...

J - O - B

?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sorry to rain on you like that @TeeDee. It's just a kind of sore topic.

The nearest place to me is Cairnbrae, and that's over 2hours driving from here.

They recommend that folks have a read at this site though.

All information is well received - better to know now and investigate and now opens up the requirement for sea burials.

Either that or I FedEx myself to Brochs woodland address with a shovel whist biting between my teeth some Crisp £50 pound notes for the inconvenience.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Alternatively, I don't think there are any laws against burials on private land...

When my Dad passed away there was talk about me and my cousin (who is more like a brother) digging a hole in the garden as Dad said at one point "Bury me in the garden and let the kids play on the lawn above me..."

Decided a more formal process was the way to go in the end, but I don't think he was embalmed, he was buried less than a week of his passing.

TBH I quite like the idea of purchasing a bit of private woodland and gifting it down amongst whatever bloodline is left with some caveat built in that none of the money hungry oiks can sell it at any point.

Not sure if thats a possible avenue.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
A couple of years ago I bought some land.
It has some lovely trees on it, but there were no beeches - my favourite.
So I bought some beech saplings (and yew, and hornbeam) and planted them.
I put one of the beeches in my favourite sit spot, and I have given instructions that when I cark it I am to be cremated and my ashes to be strewn beneath that beech so I can spend eternity sitting there.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Both my parents were cremated but we had nowhere 'special' we felt they belonged. So, I took their ashes down to one of our favourite beaches in South Wales; one where you have to walk more than a km to get to, where we were taken as kids, and where I know they courted. I scattered their ashes in a deep rock pool and sat and watched while the tide came in and covered the pool and the rocks.

I don't believe there's anything left of 'them' in the ashes so it's just a symbol, but it felt 'complete'.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Anyone looked into any service or company offering Forest/Tree based natural burials?

I think when my time comes I want to go quietly with minimum hassle and return to the earth whilst nurturing something for the planet.

Yes there is one near me.
Couple of relatives/family friends are there

Reactions: TeeDee

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Aquamation

No affiliations , just an internet search .

Wandering Fred

Oct 1, 2018
Dorset
Read about aquamation recently because of the report on Desmond Tutu's funeral

"Aquamation or “alkaline hydrolysis”, the body of the deceased is immersed for three to four hours in a mixture of water and a strong alkali, such as potassium hydroxide, in a pressurised metal cylinder and heated to around 150C. The process liquifies everything except for the bones, which are then dried in an oven and reduced to white dust, placed in an urn and handed to relatives."

The main concern that comes to mind is the disposal of the remaining fluid - what do they do with it?

On a personal level - Cremation for me & ashes scattered at a favourite spot - Already written into my will & a friend has agreed to make sure it happens.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track

You are correct. In fact, once you receive the death certificate you’re pretty much free to do as you please. There is a lady and her husband local to me buried in her back garden, they changed the deeds to include the grave but there was no formal funeral or undertaker or anything..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE