Fording Rivers - Barefoot or booted?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

How do you ford rivers?

• Total voters

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Lots of ML trainees fail on 'Security on Steep Ground' and 'River Crossings'. If I'm Munro bagging, especially in winter, I just head up the river until I can hop on rocks or leap it. Although some routes can't avoid some crossing eg Ben A'Creachin near Bridge of Orchy.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Bare foot for me, then dry my feet with the tops of my socks. Although some times the rivers and burns can become un wadable due to very high water levels and one has to consider carefully the when and the where of it all.

Edit, though I'd just add a wee trick for fording slimy rocky rivers: is to wear socks, a spare set if you have them and wool is better than man made fabric.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Having recently enjoyed the delights of Greenland, which involved a couple of slightly chilly river crossings, I would now not be without a pair of Crocs. Strip off your boots and socks to keep them dry, slip on the Crocs and across you go. They were very good in the rivers, providing a firm footing even on the slimier of the rocks - an important consideration when carrying a heavy pack!

I had always been sceptical about them but am now converted. They weigh next to nothing and have the added bonus of being a really useful, comfortable camp shoe when you arrive at your destination, obviating the need to wear your boots for the whole of the day and giving your feet a well-earned rest. They dry quickly and are machine washable. Apart from their appearance, what's not to like?

As ever, I'm just a satisfied customer...

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Fording a river - boots on
swimming a river - pants, with everything else in waterproof bags...

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I try to us my sandals or aqua sox, but I've done all 3. If I can't see the bottom, then something on foot or swim, but I don't trust our river beds sadly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE