Folding shovels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Can't get on via that link at the mo' but I use the army surplus shovel.

Does the job including digging out tyres.

Use a small Gelert or a folding trowel for personal latrine useage.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
The old german army entrenching tool is great buddy ,it has a wooden handle and a pick on the back of the spade ,comes with a leather cover,very robust you should be able to pick an unissued one up for about £10-£12.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I favour the russian army shovels. Got one a few weeks ago and it is much beter than the british army folding shovel i used to use.

It is much lighter and there is less to go wrong as it is a metal shovel with a wood handle. Build like a tank the russians use these for fighting as well as building shelters.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Call a spade a spade...

A real full length shovel works better.

The army developed mini shovels because when digging shell scrapes etc, standing up made you a bigger target.

So a shorter shovel was more useful when digging on your knees, or lying on your side.

For bushcrafters, or light carry folks where weight and size/volume etc is a consideration, I can understand.

Just expect to work a wee bit harder using them, you'll be warm but your back may suffer if you can't dig from a kneeling or lying position.

As Mike 8472 said, the Soviets used them as a weapon, one side sharpened and it doubled as a kind of axe.

Read Suvarov's book from the 80's for the thinking on that.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
If we're talking bushcraft, what are people using a shovel for?
- It's useful but not essential for digging a latrine pit - I sometimes carry a small folding trowel for that, in fact.
- It's sometimes handy to be able to move the embers of your fire around. But a stick will get you by.
So what else are they getting used for? I'm not having a go, just kinda curious...
Rat

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
- It's useful but not essential for digging a latrine pit - I sometimes carry a small folding trowel for that, in fact.
- It's sometimes handy to be able to move the embers of your fire around. But a stick will get you by.
So what else are they getting used for? I'm not having a go, just kinda curious...
Rat

I haven't used a folding shovel since I handed it back.

Bushcraft ping pong?

Jakata

Dec 16, 2009
Northampton
I paid a fiver for a fold up shovel on E-bay. It digs a hole which is all I want it for really. Don't plan on doing anything adventurous with it but to dig a 1 foot by 1 foot hole its perfect. Packs up nice and small too.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I use my russian spade for mainly digging firepits and shelter building (bashing support poles in the ground and for bashing wooded pegs down for my tarp cords etc)

junglegusset

Mar 21, 2008
Liverpool
Rat

Not so much bushcraft really as just wild camping. Digging a pit for a fire and occasional latrines.

I am considering the folding trowel option though. Will probably do the job.

Last edited:

forestwalker

I sometimes carry a small plastic gardening trowel; light weight and good for a "cathole" or a firepit. I know some that has bought a folding metal trowel, and is happy with them. The old Swedish army folding shovel was of the short, all metal school, but is fairly indestructible and comes (sometimes) with a detachable aluminium snow-blade. Not even remotely lightweight, so I would never carry it if I could avoid it.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I also recommend a trowel for most bushcraft uses, except snow holes and and snow trenches or really big fire pits. I do have a holding shovel and its ok for trenches and shell scrapes but is heavy to carry everywhere with you

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a folding MOD surplus shovel that is great for use on hard ground - but is no light weight!
In my local woods I carved a wooden trowel for "cat scrapes" and left it in situ for future visits - but someone pinched it!

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I have a folding MOD surplus shovel that is great for use on hard ground - but is no light weight!
In my local woods I carved a wooden trowel for "cat scrapes" and left it in situ for future visits - but someone pinched it!

Probably some fellow Bushcrafter who thought they had made an Ace find!:lmao:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nah - private woods...only I have perm from the landowner...the B who nicked the shovel also vandalised a chair and table I had built and nicked some tennnis balls I had there for protecting the group shelter tarp from its centre pole.
It was either a poacher we disturbed a while ago or kids....
Pot hangers and our fire place was undisturbed!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE