Solid Fire Pit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We're looking for a good firepit that can be left outside purely for bushcraft TV use not for cooking. We have a pressed steel folding one from Outwell equivalent brand. We're thinking solid, steel bowl. We've seen ones at a garden centre for £90 up to several hundred for the larger ones we are looking for. However they don't look much more than a slightly more solid version of the camping one we have.

There's ones we've seen that my partner likes but they're £900+. There must be something in between. Anyone got a recommendation? UK based.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What sort of size are you looking for?

Personally I'd go for the Aldi fire pit as it's sturdy, easy to move around and definitely won't break the bank at £35. The only thing I'd do is drill a few holes in the bottom so water can escape if it was going to be left out in all weathers.

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
Washing machine drum is not the best for keeping you warm though you do get a pretty flickering display through all the holes.

It looses it stainless properties after you have had it glowing red :)

Reactions: MrEd

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Washing machine drum is not the best for keeping you warm though you do get a pretty flickering display through all the holes.

What wash setting do you use to get the best out of the flickering light effects?

• Haha
Reactions: FerlasDave

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

I’ve found it fine across a few different folk having them. Plenty warm enough.

The rim is also handy for cooking meatballs….

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
i thought you were against people burning wood to heat their homes?
Yeah! I am but my other half wants a fire pit. She's against woodburners for the home but she still wants a garden fire pit. Logic isn't her thing for sure.

The only mitigating fact is we're not burning near houses. All our neighbours end up pumping out smoke which we often see blowing past our windows. Our fire pit area is up the hill from our house so at least it's less of an immediate issue to us or neighbours. Still we'll not be using it much at all unlike our neighbours with their woodburners. One is particularly bad for smoke and particulates.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I saw something similar I think on etsy. That's my preference as I've always wanted one for backpacking trips. TOH wants something solid, heavy that'll just be left out there. I was thinking of Indian fire pits or kadai I think they're called. She wants something more solid than them! Doubt I'd get a wood gasifier burner past her. They do make more sense to me than open fire pits though.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We've got something similar to the aldi one. They're not that good long term. Ours is the Outwell version bought for similar money. Thin pressed steel that is not strong and goes downhill quickly if left out for long.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Thanks for your ideas and replies. Helpful advice and suggestions.

What about building something simple out of what we have? Bare earth and ring of stones? I guess that worked for many throughout human existence!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's the wet that's the issue if you make it out of earth and stones. It can all too easily semi-fire the ground and make it relatively impermeable, and you just get a pool of standing water....and wet stones can explode.
Look up fire cracked pot boiler stones, for thousands of examples.

A slightly raised structure that drains is much better, and much better yet if you can cover it in some way.

The other thing that works is something that you can turn upside down when you're not using it. One of the huge catering sized woks/paella pans works fairly well :)
My own one is made from an end slice (about 20cms deep) from an oil drum. Russ made it with adjustable legs so that we can either use it to sit around, or to cook upon.

Reactions: MrEd

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Thanks for your ideas and replies. Helpful advice and suggestions.

What about building something simple out of what we have? Bare earth and ring of stones? I guess that worked for many throughout human existence!

I just made a new fire pit for work using an oil drum. I cut the top 1/3rd off and then removed the lid so it was like a ring. Buried it half deep in the ground and then lined the outside with stones more for affect than anything. It looks pretty good I think.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I just made a new fire pit for work using an oil drum. I cut the top 1/3rd off and then removed the lid so it was like a ring. Buried it half deep in the ground and then lined the outside with stones more for affect than anything. It looks pretty good I think.
Any photos?

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
This one is collapsible but made from heafty metal, might be worth a look

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE