Wanted. Folding shovel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I am looking to acquire a folding shovel. I know you can buy them cheap but they are not good quality and a false economy. My guess is that one of you lovely people has got a good quality one you might let go of. Thanks. Dale

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What do you want it for? Beyond Digging? or rather what type of digging .

There are the cheap type of ( lightweight ) folding delta type shovels , american styled E-tools which are , i feel , rather sub optimal.

There are also good WWII style heavier ( not a bad thing for digging ) longer levered Austrian and German style Entrenching tools.

Really depends on how much digging you envisage doing.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I have the British Army (NATO) folding shovel in olive plastic hard case (Alice clip system) The quality of it is perfectly ok. You can pick them up online for around £23 plus postage. I paid £5 for mine at a military fair.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
What do you want it for? Beyond Digging? or rather what type of digging .

There are the cheap type of ( lightweight ) folding delta type shovels , american styled E-tools which are , i feel , rather sub optimal.

There are also good WWII style heavier ( not a bad thing for digging ) longer levered Austrian and German style Entrenching tools.

Really depends on how much digging you envisage doing.
multi purpose Tee Dee. Coal shovel for fire, chapati/ toast plate, Digging holes. I want a good quality one though. Theres tons on ebay. I had one and it just bent after a bit. The german ones look decent x

Reactions: British Red

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The German and Austrian ones are bomb proof ( pun unintended ) I purchased one of each to just look and study the locking mechanism. Its solid over engineering - but the cost is weight , the pro is longevity and endurance.

The American ones that fold in two places to create a Three sectioned tool - I'm not a fan of - they do pack down small but most seem to shake themselves loose and rather more importantly don't possess the function to use as a mattock ( as the Austrian and German ones do )

Its horses for courses I guess.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
The German and Austrian ones are bomb proof ( pun unintended ) I purchased one of each to just look and study the locking mechanism. Its solid over engineering - but the cost is weight , the pro is longevity and endurance.

The American ones that fold in two places to create a Three sectioned tool - I'm not a fan of - they do pack down small but most seem to shake themselves loose and rather more importantly don't possess the function to use as a mattock ( as the Austrian and German ones do )

Its horses for courses I guess.
Thats my thinking; buy once. the old saying is "I am too poor to buy cheap tools"

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I am looking to acquire a folding shovel.
If you want the best:

If it is good enough for Finnish armed forces it is good enough for you.

35127584153722110d.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If you want the best:

If it is good enough for Finnish armed forces it is good enough for you.

35127584153722110d.jpg

Mmm... that for £67
or this for £4? (OK, if you're lucky, but they often turn up for les than £20)

2023-07-26 17.18.19.jpg

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I had 3 types, a 1960s German Army - heavy, but great using in mattock mode. Bit finicky to lock and unlock at times but built like a tank. Wasn’t getting much use due to the weight.

A Glock lightweight plastic one with a root saw in the handle. Useful, but felt a little weak and bendy when levering soil out. Good latrine digger though.

https://gearfreak.uk/shop/175-diggi...978-glock---foldable-field-spade-with-jigsaw/

And the one I kept, a 1958 Swedish tool. It doesn’t fold small but the blade shape and longer handle make it practical car carry. A brilliant tool. There’s a tale somewhere about these being sharpened and used to fell and split wood for fire and shelter, they’re incredibly strong. I see Military 1st do a copy of these, but no idea what they’re like.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
multi purpose Tee Dee. Coal shovel for fire, chapati/ toast plate, Digging holes. I want a good quality one though. Theres tons on ebay. I had one and it just bent after a bit. The german ones look decent x
I use coal shovels daily and small spades for trapping, stumping and other hard use. Whilst distinctly prosaic, modern micro shovels are hard to beat

Reactions: slowworm and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I use coal shovels daily and small spades for trapping, stumping and other hard use. Whilst distinctly prosaic, modern micro shovels are hard to beat

I also have one of these. Like Red says - also good and comes with a pointy one if you like them.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

Agreed! (no soul though :))

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I also have one of these. Like Red says - also good and comes with a pointy one if you like them.
I totally agree. I have the pointy version and use it for everything in the garden and camp. I bought it years ago for post hole digging. I plant everything except trees with it - often, one spit and it’s done. (I have a monstrous lurid Spear and Jackson for trees)

I’ve never fried anything on it.
It doesn’t fold.

No soul? - soul is what you put into it.

Downside - my three year old grandson thinks it’s his.IMG_5834.jpeg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE