Flooding in mainland Europe

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Wishing you well in the relief and recovery. Be very, very careful if you wade or ride through the water like the guy in pic #3. The water may look shallow; but you can't be sure the street hasn't washed out under the surface.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hope you and your family and friends stay safe, Andrew, and the floods don't cause you any grief.

It's horrible to contemplate; but the increase in population and the pressure to build on the river flood plains, is a problem that isn't going to go away quickly.
Worldwide, from India and China to Europe and Australia, there have been floods causing horrendous damage and destruction, recently, and the damage is compounded because we don't take enough notice of the 'lay of the land' and the need for water floodplains.

M

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...The water may look shallow; but you can't be sure the street hasn't washed out under the surface..."

You know I have never thought of that, good point. :)

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, I live on a hill so if the water gets this high it is time to build an ark, however water supplies, sewage, electricity, food deliveries may be affected.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Who left the tap on then? :D

Seriously though, i dont follow the news.. i take you guys have had some bad rain then? Been sunny here for a week.

Take care out there mate. Be optimistic and use it as an opportunity to learn canoe carving :)

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
You know I have never thought of that, good point. :)

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, I live on a hill so if the water gets this high it is time to build an ark, however water supplies, sewage, electricity, food deliveries may be affected.

It's not just washouts that can be a problem, but drains. Heavy floods like the ones you are suffering can displace drain covers - you might be walking in 10cm of water and step into a drain that is 3m deep. We had a couple of people drown in Hull a few years back in just such an accident.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
We had your problems in Hungary covered by French TV news channels this week: much sympathy here given the French own problems. We are the onlyPyrenees department not to have had a red warning in the last week but elsewhere it has been bad. It's raining as I write and the market today was empty because the crops are either late, spoiled by the floods or impossible to harvest. French friend said God is angry with us because we have mis-treated the Earth. Didn't feel like disagreeing even though I'm an atheist.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
We had your problems in Hungary covered by French TV news channels this week: much sympathy here given the French own problems. We are the onlyPyrenees department not to have had a red warning in the last week but elsewhere it has been bad. It's raining as I write and the market today was empty because the crops are either late, spoiled by the floods or impossible to harvest. French friend said God is angry with us because we have mis-treated the Earth. Didn't feel like disagreeing even though I'm an atheist.

We saw some of the French problems on the local TV here, Mainland European countries do tend to take more of an interest in what is happening next door. :)

Big storms here yesterday, lots of hail which played havoc with the soft fruits.

Last edited:

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I hope everything is ok with you Sandbender, it's so frightening. Although I hv been in the Uk for most of the last month, here in the Alps, the rain has just been nonstop and all rivers are swollen. We were cut off by our river about 5 years ago and it is truly terrifying. The weather is getting crazier every year.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Is there any form of donations for the relief effort?

Well there is the Hungarian Red Cross I suppose, but they are mostly looking for food I think and they seem to have things covered. There are quite a few German towns under water but I'm guessing the German state will help out there. The Czechs and Slovaks again probably have their own Red Cross.

Filling sandbags over the past three days seems to be how most have helped and it seems to be working so far.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Well there is the Hungarian Red Cross I suppose, but they are mostly looking for food I think and they seem to have things covered. There are quite a few German towns under water but I'm guessing the German state will help out there. The Czechs and Slovaks again probably have their own Red Cross.

Filling sandbags over the past three days seems to be how most have helped and it seems to be working so far.

If you hear of anything let us know, even if it's just a few blankets or donations they are looking for we should help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE