Fishing Kit - what is in yours and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the minimal kit that my kids use.

I cut a short hazel, chestnut or locust pole, about the distance from the ground to the child's armpit, and tie a length of Berkely superline, the same length as the pole, to one end.

At the other end, I tie an "Italian staple", and to this I fix a N°16 hook mounted on a loop of fine monofilament.

No bait, just wiggle the hook around.

My kids (five and three years old) catch small fish with this, at the rate of around 2 to 3 lbs per hour.

I use a cheaping telescopic rod, a reel, and a popper to catch a single 4lb fish for every eight to ten hours of fishing...

Gill nets are legal for commercial fishing on certain lakes in the state of New Jersey, so long as you have a commercial fishing license. Somebody must be supplying the fishermen with kit. And has been said before, if your chioce is between being naughty and being dead, I suppose you could live with naughty.

Keith.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
As a lifelong angler I knew exactly what I wanted in my kit when I made it up. A 100m spool of 4lb nylon monofilament has oodles of extra room on it for more line, so I added about 20yds of 12lb line on top and then another 20yds or so of 20lb line on top of that. By carefully removing the little strengthening vanes and the spindle tube from the inside of the plastic spool I was then able to push-fit a little plastic container inside the spool. This container is what spare split shot comes in from the tackle shop (I bought BB's for my kit). In with the BB's are 2 or 3 small ledger weights, 10 size 14 hooks (Eyed, Made by Mustad) 10 size 8 hooks the same and 10 size 4's the same again.
All these fit in the pot the split shot came in with the shot, and the pot them wedges snuggly into the inside of the spool, so the whole kit only takes up the space of a spool of line. With this set up I have plenty of line to use for binding/whipping any items I want to make, and for setting "alarm tripwires" around camp if I feel the need. (As many in the Southern States have recently discovered; In a survival situation not all "visitors" are particularly welcome)

I don't carry floats at all. Anyone with a knife can very quickly make usable floats from twigs or waterside reeds if they want them. A rod (pole) can be of any long stick if you want one, or simply fish hand-line style.

With a little finesse in your approach to the water there is no need to fish "ultra-fine" to get bites from most coarse fish if you bait up with the appropriate tasty morsel. Perch, if big enough, are in my opnion better eating than trout, and are absolute suckers for a nice wriggly lob worm ledgered hard on the bottom.
Roach are not that much of an eating species, but can be caught on maggots, bread (and similar stuff) as well as grains of soaked wheat or corn and elderberries.
Eels simply love worms. In a survival situation a nightline baited with a couple of lob worms on a hook as big as a #4 to line as heavy as 12lb is very unlikely to be empty in the morning if there are any numbers of eels present in the water.
Although I am a keen pike angler I would probably advise most folks from avoiding them if possible. They have razor-sharp teeth (over 700 of them) and bite through nylon line effortlessly. These predators will "steal" fish from your nightlines by biting through the line, so unless you have a steel trace (Hook length) you are unlikely to land them.

Set lines, nightlines, nets and any other method of fishing in fresh water where you are not present and able to attend to the captured fish immediately, are all illegal in the UK so practice with these methods is not an option unless you are willing to sit by your tackle and "deal" with fish as they take the bait. (To comply with the law you also need a Rod Licence available from the Post Office, and the permission to fish from whoever owns the fishing rights on the water) As has been said before, in a true survival situation the rules on these matters would go out of the window as far as I am concerned. In such a true emergency situation it might be worth bearing in mind that your proximity to any town will ensure that ducks and even swans are likely to gather at your feet if you start throwing little bits of anything white that floats onto the water, and we all know how to cut a long stick don't we boys and girls..... ;)

Edit to add that spear fishing and bow fishing are also illegal in fresh water in the UK, but same rules apply as above if your life is on the line.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Longstrider said:
Although I am a keen pike angler I would probably advise most folks from avoiding them if possible. They have razor-sharp teeth (over 700 of them) and bite through nylon line effortlessly. These predators will "steal" fish from your nightlines by biting through the line, so unless you have a steel trace (Hook length) you are unlikely to land them.

Would these hooks prevent the line being bitten through? Or do you still need a steel trace?
Edit: Maybe answering my own question: yes :rolleyes: ;) :D - IIRC RM used them on The heroes of Telemark, and there was a sturdy bit of "line" ... :confused: (or was it in his last series?)
And the hooks don't necessarily (sp?) kill the pike ... they were still wiggling their tails when he (RM) saved them out of the freezingly cold water ... to put them in a nice hot pan ;) They were dead though when he towed them home (in a sledge like manner).

div-gaddsax.jpg

(see also this thread ).

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I have seen RM and others use these in extreme situations, but would not advocate their use myself. Firstly, the use of a spring loaded hook such as this is likely to see you fall foul of the fisheries laws here in the UK, and whilst all "rules" go out of the window when your life depends on gathering food, as an angler I find the things repulsive.
My second objection is the size and weight of the things. If you really need to target pike as your source of protein it's simply so much easier to carry some steel traces. Traces for use with dead fish as bait (Known as "Snap Tackles" )are available from all tackle shops. Consisting of a length of fine steel wire fitted with two treble hooks, these are what anglers have been using for pike fishing for centuries and are very effective. The laying of set lines or nightlines with a snap tackle will almost undoubtedly lead to the pike gorging on the bait and becoming hooked in the gullet. Not in the slightest bit sporting, but an effective way of ensuring a relatively easy dinner. Snap tackles would be far less weight and trouble to carry and use than the spring hooks you show.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I remember my Grandad telling me how he used to catch eels. Either a hessian sack with some worms in, tied to a stake on the bank, or some worms threaded onto a length of "hairy" wool, coiled up, and secured in a similar fashion.
In either case, the eels teeth were said to get caught in the material fibres or simply caught in the sacking.

Not ideal things to carry in a Bushy Fishing Kit, but the knowledge might serve someone well in the future.

ATB

Ogri the trog

maximus otter

Sep 14, 2003
UK
My father-in-law was a keen angler. He was recently having a garage clearout, and gave me a collapsible fishing rod of interesting design. It's called the "Instant Fisherman."

fishman1.jpg

fishman2.jpg

fishman3.jpg

"Instant Fisherman is a fishing rod that you can take with you anywhere. It is collapsible for easy storage and travel and can be easily placed in the tackle box, glove compartment or travel bag.

Instant Fisherman is easily extended for use simply by opening up the rod with the spring loaded lock bolt locked into the open position. Once open, the Instant Fisherman can quickly extend from 11 inches (approx. 27.5cm) to 50 inches (approx. 125cm). It comes equipped with an internal reel with its own fishing line."

I am not an angler and know nothing of fishing, so that's all I know about it. Typically for my FIL, he had lost the instructions...

Unfortunately, it appears that this piece of kit is either out of production or not readily available.

I'm moving to a wild, beautiful area soon and look forward to giving it a try out.

maximus otter

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
maximus otter said:
My father-in-law was a keen angler. He was recently having a garage clearout, and gave me a collapsible fishing rod of interesting design. It's called the "Instant Fisherman."

"Instant Fisherman is a fishing rod that you can take with you anywhere. It is collapsible for easy storage and travel and can be easily placed in the tackle box, glove compartment or travel bag.

Instant Fisherman is easily extended for use simply by opening up the rod with the spring loaded lock bolt locked into the open position. Once open, the Instant Fisherman can quickly extend from 11 inches (approx. 27.5cm) to 50 inches (approx. 125cm). It comes equipped with an internal reel with its own fishing line."

I am not an angler and know nothing of fishing, so that's all I know about it. Typically for my FIL, he had lost the instructions...

Unfortunately, it appears that this piece of kit is either out of production or not readily available.

I'm moving to a wild, beautiful area soon and look forward to giving it a try out.

maximus otter

I think I've seen those before advertised on a TV Informercial (Aaaaargh!)

Some kids came to our fishery with them; apparently they'd got them in the US. Am I right in thinking there's a trigger on the handle which you hold when casting?
I had concerns about their robustness, and getting to the reel in case of a tangle, but they did look like a piece of cake to use, and the kids caught plenty of fish on them. Let us know how you get on!

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
As a keen fisherman, mostly lure's for pike and zander i alway's look forward to trying my luck on the local fish when in the wood's, something theraputic about sitting on the bank with just the basic's from my survival kit instead of the rucsac full of gizmos i normally carry.
In my humble opinion in a survival situation theres on one piece of kit i'd be reaching for and thats a gill net, fishings fun and gives you something to focus on but fishings fishing, survivals survival :( . If i've personnaly put myself in the woods then it's hooks line and wieght loss :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE