Fishing Kit - what is in yours and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Due to events here and in the US, like a lot of people, I started going though what I carry and why.

In my survival kit is a little wrapped fishing kit and I have heard it said before, that it is worth having a bigger kit in your ruc. Not a fisherman and have no interest in becoming one unless my life depends on it so what should be in my survival kit?

If I want to carry a bigger kit what should be in that?

Any books you would recommend?

Does anyone think they could do a tutorial on survival fishing in and around Europe?

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
If it is an emergency kit for survival use only I would personally would confine my fishing kit to just a gillnet without weights or floats (you can make these)

This of course is not suitable for anything other than an emergency only kit as gill nets are very very illegal, but in a life or death situation it is by far the most effective means of catching fish

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Mr Crabtree goes Fishing is very good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1842520008/202-9438362-5159815

It's a kid's book really but that means it explains everything simply and clearly. It also gives good hints about where fish are most likely to be found. It tackles (sorry bad pun...) the problems you'll encounter going for different fish in various conditions.

Fishing's one of those things that's easy to learn but difficult to master. If you're looking at it from a survival point of view and otherwise aren't interested in doing it, then perhaps you should consider studying how to net fish, and set fish traps instead of Angling per se.?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Stuart said:
If it is an emergency kit for survival use only I would personally would confine my fishing kit to just a gillnet without weights or floats (you can make these)

This of course is not suitable for anything other than an emergency only kit as gill nets are very very illegal, but in a life or death situation it is by far the most effective means of catching fish

Here here....totally agree Stuart, a good gill net in a survival situation can make all the difference and is by far the highest yielding fishing method available. :)

Bam. :D

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
bambodoggy said:
Here here....totally agree Stuart, a good gill net in a survival situation can make all the difference and is by far the highest yielding fishing method available. :)

Bam. :D
Dynamite is pretty good too.

On the subject of gill nets,in the hypothetical situation that you may want one,some farmers bale haylage with a fine nylon net before the polywrap. The mesh is about 30mm squares and a 2' x 6' piece folds down to about a 2" cube that only weighs about an ounce.It would make a very good ,lightweight ,field expedient addition to a serious survival kit :D

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
bushwacker bob said:
Dynamite is pretty good too.

On the subject of gill nets,in the hypothetical situation that you may want one,some farmers bale haylage with a fine nylon net before the polywrap. The mesh is about 30mm squares and a 2' x 6' piece folds down to about a 2" cube that only weighs about an ounce.It would make a very good ,lightweight ,field expedient addition to a serious survival kit :D
Dont know about dynamite, but PE4 (plastic explosive) is really REALLY effective. :D We discovered how effective by accident once! :rolleyes: Dont think the german fishermen have spoke to a british squaddie since :eek:

Yes I know not really bushcraft!

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
As Stuart has already said a gill net would be my choice in an emergency.
Great for fishing and has many more applications.

I would still carry some nylon and hooks though to reach places where setting a gill net would not be practical or just a plain nightmare say off a cliff on the coast or some deep water with a strong tide.

A set of silver feathers and a small good quality lure which takes up no space has been very productive for me in the past as well

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I think fishing with a (rod and) line has the chill out factor, even in survival,it will give you thinking time while being useful. Surviving could be a long time and as we all have skills for water,shelter and fire we need a hobby!
For E&E the priorities are different and you need to grab and run.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Gill nets are also usefull for snaring birds and small animals. For a survival kit I would stress buying the very best premium hooks available. You are paying for factory SHARP vs lesser offerings. For something so small it is "penny wise and pound foolish" to go cheap. Sometimes a high performance hook can mean the difference between a caught fish and a lost fish. You will need a gafff hook, merely a larger unit to physically secure the fish when landing. Add a small nail that fits the eyelet. You will get a short branch, scribe a groove to rest the shank in, nail down the eyelet and whip some dental floss or light thread and your set. Now add several safety pins. Aside from the myriad other uses we are going to build a rod and reel! While you were cutting a gaff hook handle a splendid willow ( or similar) sapling swayed in the breeze like a premium flyrod. Once again scribe a groove and lash a closed safety pin to the tip. On the but end plane a flat base. Isn't this a fun diversion from all those spoons? Isn't your Woodcraft or mora handier than a MOD4 or Busse Battlemistress :confused: In your kit you have ready made a hardwood rectangle @ 1/4" thick by 3"x 2" ( this figure is not obligatory, play with it) We have sawn out two traingular indentations into the 2" sides and carved two small semi circles near the bottom of both. Our fishing line is neatly wound around the cuts and ready. Place our reel onto the planed surface and lashdown using the two semicircles. Feed the line through the safety pin eyelet, attach your hooks, sinkers, wire leads as needed. We are now heaps better than some guy trying to grip line in his hands or on a short stick. While he looks downcast, we are casting. There are at least 3 hook and lure suggestions for every fish in the rivers and seas. I'll leave that to the others, but this rig will have several panfish on the grass and LOOK OUT! THAT RIVER OTTER JUST........... to late :p

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
My bushcraft fishing kit contains a couple of lengths of fishing line (about 2 m each ) and half a dozen hooks . Tie the hooks onto the fishing line and then attach these to a suitable length of para cord (or natural cordage) , they need to be spaced so that they do not tangle . Use stones for weights (or anything you can get your hands on ) and throw the business end into the water and secure the other end to a tree or something similar. This way you can com plete other tasks whilst fishing . I belive this is termed "Longlining" , not 100% sure on the legalitys of it but as a kid we used to find quite a few of these set ups at our local river , having pulled them in to see what they were i know this method works with eel and pike . I dont eat fish but know that fresh water fish can taste a bit muddy . The way to stop this is to swim them in clean water in a bucket (or larger container if the fish cant swim ) for half a day or so .

Hope this helps

Pumbaa

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
As a general rule most countries will prohibit any 'passive' fishing system. This includes gill nets, longlines, and automatic reel devise much like a toy yo- yo. Tools such as the survival speedhook are also often illegal. This is to discourage poaching and excessive take or destroying individuals protected to maintain the stocks. Obviously in a survival situation the laws are usually overruled. If I was in trouble the appearance of a game warden means rescue anyway.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Also remember to replace the fishing line in your kit every year or so because the stuff degrades and loses it's strength.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I belive this is termed "Longlining" , not 100% sure on the legalitys
It is... and it is illegal on fresh water. Long lineing is one of those things that should be left to the coast.... and make sure you are well out of the way of the public as you don't want to ensnare dogs out for a walk with their owners with your hooks etc...

Getting back on topic, all I carry is a few hooks to nylon and some split shot. All I need then is a little nettle cordage (a meter or 2), a hazel rod and a lil wooden stick for float and I have a simple pole fishing kit which is perfectly legal on the waters around here ;) .....

Ed

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Marts said:
Also remember to replace the fishing line in your kit every year or so because the stuff degrades and loses it's strength.

:eek: It does??? :rolleyes:
I caught a 3.65 kg brim (massive fat and disgusting slimey beastie) on an extreem thin line ... which is at least 10 years old, and got used lots of times (it's my lucky set (float) from my long gone childhood :D )

Arctic Hobo
Have a look at the post I made here

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
den said:
As Stuart has already said a gill net would be my choice in an emergency.
Great for fishing and has many more applications.

Can make net, so just need to carry enough string to do it.

den said:
I would still carry some nylon and hooks though to reach places where setting a gill net would not be practical or just a plain nightmare say off a cliff on the coast or some deep water with a strong tide.

What thickness line and what size hooks?

den said:
A set of silver feathers and a small good quality lure which takes up no space has been very productive for me in the past as well

What are silver feathers?

What is a good lure?

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
ChrisKavanaugh said:
You will need a gafff hook, merely a larger unit to physically secure the fish when landing.

Does the point serve a purpose or could I just fold a wire clothes hanger into my kit and get creative when needed.

Also noticed you are from California is this for large fish or does it serve a purpose for small/inland fishing?

ChrisKavanaugh said:
Isn't your Woodcraft or mora handier than a MOD4 or Busse Battlemistress :confused:

Walking away from that one as quickly as possible, still muttering to myself over the Tracker. :rolleyes:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
In survival kit

Hooks (Quality matters)
Line
Silver feathers
Good small Lure
Split weights

Extra line to make net or net of some description.

Chris has given us an idea for a reel to store and use the line on. Not sure i get his explaintion but interesting idea.

gaff hook.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Ahjno said:
:eek: It does??? :rolleyes:
I caught a 3.65 kg brim (massive fat and disgusting slimey beastie) on an extreem thin line ... which is at least 10 years old, and got used lots of times (it's my lucky set (float) from my long gone childhood :D )

Arctic Hobo
Have a look

Not sure this is going to work.

at the post I made here

1. A simple spool of four to six pound test monofilament leader
2. A slim, styrofoam type bobber
3. 12-18 hooks. A good supply of size eight hooks are excellent for most trout and panfish applications. A few size ten hooks, a few size fours and the addition of a few size fourteen hooks will facilitate the use of maggots as well. These should all be bait-holder type hooks, as you will be using available natural bait.
4. A box of tied flys and some other bits and bobs.
5. A package of BB size split-shot, the type with the ears for easy removal
6. Tin - Could be Mint tin - Whitman's Samplers but he also recommends the usual Altoid Mints, and Sucrets Throat Lozenges.
7. Bike tyre rubber band.

The whole article is at - www.beartoothbullets.com/tips/archive_tips.htm/69

It seems to answer the line and hook size question.

Attachments

• Fishing_Kit_Exploded_View_no.gif
    Fishing_Kit_Exploded_View_no.gif
    36.4 KB · Views: 98

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
www.worldsurvivalinstitute.com has a photo of the wooden reel. This is Chris Janowskie's idea to give credit due. The gaff hook is for larger fish that may still fight and be lost when landing. You actually impale the fish, so a full barbed hook is needed. Ready made fishing survival kits are the NATO packet made in G.B.- minimal with line on a card, a few hooks,sinkers and flies but well made, the infamous TRACON ( pics at ETS) very complete for just about anywhere on earth but short on instruction, of generally cheaper components and finally Chris's above mentioned kit. It includes a small metal match, tinder and CRKT folder and is my personal favourite. Exploration products in Washington State sell a nice unit, but it's stored in a horridly large and flimsy plastic tube.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE