First attempts at leatherwork (pic heavy)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Haven’t been able to get out into the wilds recently as I tore cartilage in my knee and needed it cut out and, as a result, got a bit frustrated not being able to do anything bushcrafty. Thought I’d try my hand at some leatherwork.

First efforts: a possibles pouch, a hair doofer (with turned oak stick thing) and a goatskin book cover – fits a Collins guide.

leatherpouchetc1vn5.jpg

bookcoverip6.jpg

bookcoveropenzs9.jpg

The Celtic designs have been laser-engraved. Not entirely traditional but, as I have access to a laser cutter/engraver at work, I wanted to see how it would work on leather. (Worked a treat but the kids complained about the smell of burning flesh!:) )

Had the op last Tuesday so I’m sat at home for two weeks with a sore knee, a pile of leather and itchy fingers – next up: more pouches and some belts as Christmas presents.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Looks very good. Are you sure it`s your first attemp
Few porkies there mate - you've been doing this a while haven't you?
Thanks. First attempts - honest.

But I am a Design and Technology teacher and, these days, you have to be able to turn your hand to most things - I've even taught Cookery! (Sorry - "Food Technology")

I made the mistake of buying pre-dyed leather - very stiff! I've just received some natural leather from Le Prevo and, as soon as I've knocked something up, I'll post the results.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
But I am a Design and Technology teacher and, these days, you have to be able to turn your hand to most things - I've even taught Cookery! (Sorry - "Food Technology")

That explains some of the comments in your first post and the standard of your work

That is top notch I love the laser etched design.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Very nice work indeed.

I remember my D.T. Teacher use to make all sorts too......

He made some really nice model Planes and even made a crossbow using a leaf spring from a Morris 1000 and used to make his own bolts on the metal work lathe for it, but that was 20 odd years ago.

It must be great to have all that kit to play with just a pity about the kids:lmao:

Richard

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Haven’t been able to get out into the wilds recently as I tore cartilage in my knee and needed it cut out and, as a result, got a bit frustrated not being able to do anything bushcrafty. Thought I’d try my hand at some leatherwork.

First efforts: a possibles pouch, a hair doofer (with turned oak stick thing) and a goatskin book cover – fits a Collins guide.

leatherpouchetc1vn5.jpg

bookcoverip6.jpg

bookcoveropenzs9.jpg

The Celtic designs have been laser-engraved. Not entirely traditional but, as I have access to a laser cutter/engraver at work, I wanted to see how it would work on leather. (Worked a treat but the kids complained about the smell of burning flesh!:) )

Had the op last Tuesday so I’m sat at home for two weeks with a sore knee, a pile of leather and itchy fingers – next up: more pouches and some belts as Christmas presents.

what type of laser? im do laser profiling, cyt most types of steel and wood never thought about leather?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Thanks, folks, for all the encouraging words.

It must be great to have all that kit to play with just a pity about the kids
Dead right! One of the guys in the department is an ex-farrier who's been using the forge recently to knock out some knives - we could go into production if it wasn't for the little b****ers.

what type of laser? im do laser profiling, cyt most types of steel and wood never thought about leather?

Its a Co2 laser supplied by Hobarts (www.hobartlasers.co.uk) with a bed size of 610 x 305 mm. We use it to cut and engrave acrylic mainly but also card, textiles and anything else we think we can get away with. We once lightly engraved a picture of Elvis onto a slice of bread so that when it was toasted it appeared darker than the rest...:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE