First attempts at leather tooling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I have just finished making these leather notebook covers, which will be Christmas presents for my favourite aunts, who now look forward to receiving something handmade from me. So instead of something wooden, I thought I would do something a bit different, and having been inspired by the fantastic leatherworkers on this forum, I decided on leatherwork. (To all those aforementioned leather crafters - don't worry, I'm not coming for your jobs!)

Notebook covers by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Notebook covers 2 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Designed to take an A6 notebook. I took on board some recent advice not to use some cheap notebooks, so that replacement books should be available (I chose some by Black n' Red).

I attempted some basic tooling to liven them up ( it needed to be simple line drawings, as I am not very artistic)
One aunt loves Labradors.

Dog by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

The other aunt is a bee keeper.

Bee by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

I watched some YouTube videos for instruction, and made some leather stamps from some big nails.

Homemade tools by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

I'm a long way from being any good at it, but I'm pleased with how they turned out.

Thanks for looking.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Custom tooling always has a measure of sophistication that you can't buy.
Much better rendered than any shallow relief carvings. Very well done.
Make certain that you add a maker's mark.

Reactions: Muddypaws

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I love these. It's what Xmas presents should be. Not a trip to boots for some smellies that will end up at the charity shop! Well done these are sure to be treasured.

Bionic

Forager
Mar 21, 2018
Bomber county
Those are absolutely brilliant. Well done, I don’t mind dabbling in a bit of leatherwork (mainly knife sheaths and pouches) but I wouldn’t even contemplate attempting anything with that level of artwork on them. You really should be very proud of them and I’m sure your aunts will be chuffed to bits with them :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE