First Aid quick reference

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you keep your knowledge base simple you have less to forget in an emergency, the wannabe's who fill their heads with lots of stuff they don't need to know are IMO more likely to make mistakes than a good basic first aider who keeps it simple until the pros arrive.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've seen the first and it s good, just what the absence of a doctor ordered :) If people like the idea of A6 flashcards then that ties into something else I've been thinking about and occasionally working on (though I was going A7 as is sod's law)

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
Nurses are not qualified First Aiders until they train as first aiders. This may sound daft, but nurse training is very diffent from FA training.

Also, be aware of the difference between a Nurse (RGN) and an auxiliary nurse (or HCA)...

Alex

Genty

Tenderfoot
Good stuff.

I have these Casualty and Incident Cards which are free to download:

Casualty Cards

They are designed to printed into A4 - folded in half and then laminated as A5. One is for incedent details (to be given to the runner) and the other for recording details and obs. While they do not present much Firat Aid treatment info they would - I hope - serve as an aide memiore for someone who has hgad training.

Again - let me know of anything that would make them easier to use.

Good forum by the way!

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Hi Alex Uk

I for one think they are a great idea. I looked at the one on Bleeding and love the last line
(TV). I see them in the same light as the "make a cup of tea advice", the stop and think first way to go.

I have had first aid training in the RAF and out, different times and courses have reccommended slightly different ways to act. Surely the fact that an aider is doing something other than running around in circles is a plus. If someone was to whip out your card and then think, actually I will do this as I was shown on the course I attended then so well and good. For my way of thinking even if I tell a passer by, look in the top of my first aid kit and follow the guide, its served its purpose.

Carry on with this, no one is forcing us to use them, I for one say thanks

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Good stuff.

I have these Casualty and Incident Cards which are free to download:

Casualty Cards

They are designed to printed into A4 - folded in half and then laminated as A5. One is for incedent details (to be given to the runner) and the other for recording details and obs. While they do not present much Firat Aid treatment info they would - I hope - serve as an aide memiore for someone who has hgad training.

Again - let me know of anything that would make them easier to use.

Good forum by the way!
The cards are of more use than a cancelled Advanced First Aid course!:rolleyes:
Good to have you here Adam!
Now - get a new date for my course!:)
I have printed out some cards on waterproof, tear proof paper and they will live in my FAKs!

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
I notice Savlon is mentioned several times as something that shouldnt be used (burns etc)... what is the reasoning there please?

There are a lot of old wives' tales saying that you should put one thing or another in a wound. As a general rule of thumb, putting anything in a wound is a bad idea as anything can cause a bad reaction (burn, allergy, infection, etc.) or can just prove to be a real pain in the rear when you get to hospital.

As far as Savlon goes, although it can be ok in some situations, it should be used carefully in specific situations only. Good dressing and wound management is much more important and so this should be the focus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE