First Aid quick reference

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
After requests from a few members, I have started to put together some quick reference First Aid cards. They tell you the basics without any scary medical terms. Designed to fit in a first aid kit or pocket, they are A6 in size and in PDF format.

I am licencing them in GNU Free Doc so they can be freely shared and improved.

The first one covers bleeding and can be downloaded for free here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wxvrnmekmcz

Let me know what you all think, and what can be made better. Also let me know what else you would like to see covered.

Alex

A useful guide to have, even if only to calm you down and remind you of the steps to take.

I've got a similar thing on my avalanche transciever, tells you how to put it in search mode, how to conduct a search and so on. Just having it there to refresh your memory in a stressful situation is very reassuring.
Having something like this in your first aid kit (which, of course, you've learned how to use) could make the difference for some people.

Alex, thinking about it, there might be a good way to use the other side, twice the info on the same piece of paper.

As someone with only a basic understanding of first aid the sheet left a few questions I can see cropping up in real life.
These questions are more asking what one might wonder under stress, as opposed to asking for an answer for myself, though I would be interested to see a medic's take on them anyway.

"Do not let lots of blood distract you from something more serious."
More serious like what?
It might be worth noting that head and hand wounds bleed a lot and can look worse than they are, but what's more serious than blood falling out of you/a friend?

"If it is serious, get help urgently."
How do you know if it is serious? At what point does "it'll be fine" become "this is bad and we need help now?"
Many times it will be obvious, but what signs are we looking for?
(I'd say probably things like pressure on the wound for a long time and still bleeds hard when pressure relesaed and things like that - I'm very much a layman though)

It's good as it is, but I think it could be improved with some clarification of those points.

I know you're not writing a 1st aid manual, just a crib sheet, but I think that kind of thing could make it even more helpful than it already is.

:D

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
The idea is for something really simple - but that does not replace proper training, as this is crucial.

I get your points about a bit more information though. It's really easy for me to assume things, but it is for you guys to actually use! I don't want to make it too complicated though - just enough to trigger what you learnt on training and reassure that you are actually doing the right thing.

I like the idea of having one sheet to quickly tell you what to do, but there is no reason not to use the back for clarifications and a bit more info.

Tell me what level you would like it aimed at and I'll do my best - this one is aimed as a reminder for people with some training but that do not use their skills often and lack confidence. Perhaps this is the wrong level though?

Tell me what you want to see though, as I've said - this is for you guys to use, so lets make it something that will actually be useful!

Alex

P.S. @ rik_uk3 I'm nothing to do with Ludlow Survivors, and don't even know what it is! Should I be?

Well at the moment I don't have any formal training. I did a lifesaving course as part of my swimming lessons (I swam regularly from pretty much birth to mid teens) but that didn't involve much one could use in the bush. I read my girlfriend's St John 1st aid book so I'm not clueless, but I've never had to use first aid in the field so never been tested. (I did butterfly-stitch my own head once, but that doesn't count)

I think your target is a good one, but maybe make some allowance to accomodate those a touch lower on the no-clue>novice>first-aider scale.

I think it is better to write it in such a way that a person who gets it doesn't think it's a manual or all they need. It should be there to reinforce what people have learned, whether from a good book or practical training with the red cross or St John's. Those who don't have that should always be encouraged to get it.
In fact, on a single sheet of A6 it would probably be just an outline/reassurance by necessity.

The approach with avalanches and the notes on transcievers, is to encourage very strongly that people get the necessary training and (or at very least, or) take a guide (ie. someone who has the necessary training) with them.
The notes that back up that training are great.

For someone of a significantly lower level than self-tought or basically-trained I think a concise booklet is more likely what's needed rather than a sheet. That's not (I don't think) what you're aiming at.

For that reason I don't think it'd be good to make it too descriptive or to address all the possibilities in detail.

Dunno if that helps at all.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
I like that concept, thanks for posting Alex; sprains, strains, breaks and burns would be on my list, at idiot level, which is how I act when I'm cold and tired.;)

I was impressed by the Mountain Rescue Casualty Card done by Kerry Mountain Rescue (available at http://www.kerrymountainrescue.ie/safety/index.html#trouble link at bottom of page) and I keep a couple of copies in my pack FAK.

The nightmare scenario for me is being alone in a remote area and finding someone not breathing with no pulse. If you’ve got no signal on your mobile phone what’s best to do? Now if there was a crib for that it would be good but I reckon that’s a tough call; I probably go for help first on the basis that the casualty is already dead, although as a first aider you’re not supposed to decide that. Anyone got any better ideas?

Dec 16, 2007
Hi, not to poo poo on a good idea but sometimes a litte knowledege can be dangerous.

This is a good card but can be thought out a bit better the direct pressure should be before you raise the Limb not at the end, the direct pressure is there to arrest any bleeding and the raise it above your heart is to slow down the flow by lowering the blood pressure to that part as it is hard to pump up than down.

As for the "dont let blood distract you from things that maybe worse" well worse is a compromised airway. Maybe you should of started with the basics like the A B C D rules first then move onto wounds burns sprains etc. At the end of the day everyone is dieing for air.

BUT nothing beats going on a recognised first aid 4 day course with regular updates.

Good effort though.

PS before you all flame me for poo pooing I am a Paramedic and still use ABC for every patient I see.

swampy
Dead right about a little knowledge. But in the case of first aid in the outdoors none can well be worse. :p

That post didn't read as poo pooing to me. This thread is here for critical input.

That said, I think this card can have too much detail on it.

Maybe a simple mention of ABC on the card could encourage those with little knowledge to go and get it?

How do you know if it is serious?

Might be worth explaining Big Sick/Little Sick Alex. I know it's beyond the scope of bleeding, but Dr Help ABC and Primary & Secondary Survey, vitals, response, shock, etc. All useful.

For bushcrafting first aid, I imagine your sheets will be something like emergency & resus, bleeding & wounds, scalds & burns, sprains & breaks, cold & heat, stings & poison.

Actually, that's pretty much it. I'd pay good money for all that on 2 sides of A6, laminated and folded.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You don't have time to read when T****, you need the knowledge in your head and the skills that develop from practising those skills before you need them for real. Flash cards are nice, but go and train please.

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
After requests from a few members, I have started to put together some quick reference First Aid cards. They tell you the basics without any scary medical terms. Designed to fit in a first aid kit or pocket, they are A6 in size and in PDF format.

I am licencing them in GNU Free Doc so they can be freely shared and improved.

The first one covers bleeding and can be downloaded for free here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wxvrnmekmcz

Let me know what you all think, and what can be made better. Also let me know what else you would like to see covered.

Alex

Actually I think these are a nice idea. I would like to see breathing breaks and burns covered,perhaps including some pics of splints and triangular bandages, and some stuff on shock

If you did this on A4 paper you could have different stuff on the different folds - you would have 8 pages available and they could still be carried as A6 fabloned and concertina'd

Some other comments

1. A can of worms maybe but there ARE times when a torniquet is necessary

2. I would however suggest some caveat on the bottom such as "these notes are provided in the public domain as an act of public spiritedness and are not a substitute for formal in-date medical training. Use them as an aide memoire at your own risk". This might reduce the risk of some personal accident lawyer getting on your case

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
OK, here we go...

The nightmare scenario for me is being alone in a remote area and finding someone not breathing with no pulse. If you’ve got no signal on your mobile phone what’s best to do? Now if there was a crib for that it would be good but I reckon that’s a tough call; I probably go for help first on the basis that the casualty is already dead, although as a first aider you’re not supposed to decide that. Anyone got any better ideas?

That is something that is really hard to advise for - it has to be your call. Is it wrong for me to say take their money, run, cry? This is not official training by the way! The only thing I would say on the subject is that a person is not dead until they are warm and dead...

As a first aider, although you can not declare someone dead you don't have to perform CPR or help them in any way - unlike an HCP you have no duty of care, so it really is your call.

This is a good card but can be thought out a bit better the direct pressure should be before you raise the Limb not at the end, the direct pressure is there to arrest any bleeding and the raise it above your heart is to slow down the flow by lowering the blood pressure to that part as it is hard to pump up than down.

I was waiting for someone to pick me up on this! I know mine is not the correct order, but the reason I did it that way is to make sure there is something clean on the wound before pressure is applied.

As for the "dont let blood distract you from things that maybe worse" well worse is a compromised airway. Maybe you should of started with the basics like the A B C D rules first then move onto wounds burns sprains etc. At the end of the day everyone is dieing for air.

I started with bleeding as I was directly asked for that. I don't really want to write a manual and I really don't want to teach CPR on a sheet of A6! This is not designed for a replacement to training - just as an aid after training. CPR is not something you can learn about on a bit of paper - you need an Annie!!! No offence taken about the ABC bit - I always teach people that as an HCP, not matter how advanced you are or if you are in a big yellow fun bus, hospital or under the knife - ABC is the basis of everything.

Might be worth explaining Big Sick/Little Sick Alex. I know it's beyond the scope of bleeding, but Dr Help ABC and Primary & Secondary Survey, vitals, response, shock, etc. All useful.

For bushcrafting first aid, I imagine your sheets will be something like emergency & resus, bleeding & wounds, scalds & burns, sprains & breaks, cold & heat, stings & poison.

Actually, that's pretty much it. I'd pay good money for all that on 2 sides of A6, laminated and folded.

I would hope that the brown trouser moment recognition would be taught on a course. I really, really do not want to replace a course! Those are the sort of subjects I had in mind - all the time as a reminder to what you have been trained, not introducing new stuff. I'm not after making any money on them - that is why they are free PDFs under the GNU Free Doc licence.

Flash cards are nice, but go and train please.

Yes. Do. These are only a reminder, not a replacement to training. Get trained. Now!

A can of worms maybe but there ARE times when a tourniquet is necessary

I really do not want to encourage lay persons to use one. If they have been trained and they know what to do, then they can use it as per their training - but I am certainly not going to encourage it. In the UK a non-HPC without training using a tourniquet would be at serious risk of needing to employ a lawyer!

Alex

recon

Dec 13, 2008
nort west. warrington
the cards are a great idea and dont be put off .
iv done a good few first aid courses .
And as for some who have done none the card could be a real life saver!!
good work ...regards joe

I would hope that the brown trouser moment recognition would be taught on a course. I really, really do not want to replace a course! Those are the sort of subjects I had in mind - all the time as a reminder to what you have been trained, not introducing new stuff. I'm not after making any money on them - that is why they are free PDFs under the GNU Free Doc licence.

Yes, I suppose I'm looking at it from a different perspective; from someone trained with infrequent practical application who needs reminders. I appreciate you're on dodgy ground trying to create a reference for laymen, and I'll be interested in how it progresses.

I've just read (for the first time) the contents page of the little guide in my Lifesystems first aid kit. It's ok, but it's a booklet and is really something to be read in advance. It just goes to support, once again, that advanced knowledge is the most important part of first aid.

The booklet in my first aid kit has some really good descriptions for different kinds of injury, and yes, it certainly needs reading in advance.

Still, I think the original concept of Alex's sheet is good.

It needn't give basic instruction, that's no job for an A6 bit of paper, but as a guide to help those who've trained yet might forget things under pressure it's a good start.
My view is as someone who's reading about 1st aid and would like the extra bit of detail, as a reminder is something I'd see as a useful addition. Though, that does go slightly beyond the initial scope, but I don't think it does so in a dangerous or harmful way.

I do think it wise to avoid turning this into an "first aid in the fireld for complete beginners" guide. If someone's that determined to go out without any research or training, they should be carrying a good first aid manual with them, not an A6 crib sheet.
I just hope they can read quickly and not make mistakes under pressure when they need to read that manual for the first time as a friend, stranger or loved one is bleeding in front of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE