Feedback for Underblankets. Please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Just come back from using the underblanket for the first time. What a great idea it is.........
I forgot to have a look at any photo's or discriptions of how to set it up, but it is so easy. All my sleep system is the group buys on here. The elastic at the ends of the underblanket was passed though the hole in the mozzie netting and tied onto the D ring at the end of the hex fly with a simple bow, as in tying your shoe laces. Worked a treat, (Bams idea, cheers mate). Love the adjustment in the middle, tighten it to raise the underblanket for more warmth, loosen it, to drop the underblanket. Simple yet effective idea, and can be done under the affluence of incohol fairly well. I had a great nights sleep, was warm and cozy and all snuggled up. Excellent bit of kit, would recommend to all...........

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Well i am very happy that everyone seems to appreciate the blanket. Tried mine out for the first time at Loch Achray. So it was my turn to play. A while ago I suggested taking outer chords through loop on the side in question and taking it over hammock, then through loop on that side and finally tie off on hammock ring. Forget that idea, it was too tight across feet.
Graham S has the best set up I have seen. He passes centre chords through hammock ring and then fastens a shockchord adjuster on each end. once adjusted, just right, it can then be left alone. The outer 2 are then attached to a small (plastic) crab. This can then be either clipped to hammock ring or fastened to mozzie ridge rope.
Think I will tie a loop in ridge rope between end of blanket and hammock ring, this will stop crab sliding along ridge rope.

Lets be hearing more suggestions for slinging.

wanderinstar said:
Well there are another 44 blankets out there. How are you all finding them?

I've not had a chance to give it a go yet :(

Been far too busy to even set up let alone use my hammock.

I'm also trying to sweet talk a local land owner into allow my family and I to camo in his woodlands - or even sell me a few acres. I've been down the woods all moring with my son and they are glorious at this time of year. Just gonna walk up to our local for a spot of Sunday lunch and a few pints of Guinness :D

Phil.

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Hi Ian
Thought I'd let you know I camped out last night and used the underblanket. The temperature dipped to minus 1 and the underblanket did its job a treat. I did think of putting a foam pad in the hammock (as I've done before) and then sling the underblanket too but I didn't. Just used the underblanket and it was perfect.

If I didn't have it I wouldn't have slept in a hammock.
Thanks a million Ian. Great piece of kit.

I think one of these is in order... :You_Rock_

Andy

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
wanderinstar said:
Well there are another 44 blankets out there. How are you all finding them?

Not had a chance to get away yet but decided to rig it up in my flat and open the windows.

Rigged it up in the daytime and had a lie down, within a few seconds I realised it's very warm, could feel my own bodyheat withing a few 10s of seconds.

Waited for night and temperature to drop ( around 12C ) then got out my lightest weight sleeping bag, not sure what make says Voyager 200, mummy style, seems a typical cheap 2 season one, stripped off and climbed in. Got far too warm to sleep comfortably in the bag, ditched the bag and got a little chilly ontop, predictable really but not as much as I expected, so found it more comfortable to climb between the hammock's 2 layers without the bag.

I guess if I'd have been outside, with a breeze, the 2 season bag with the underblanket might have felt just about right, or maybe a single thin layer of night clothing without bag, which would be sensible outside anyway incase of sudden needs to leave the nest for a short while.

For a comparison I then tried the sleeping bag on it's own, laying ontop of my bed, got slightly cold after a while.

Conclusion : Underblanket does it's job very well, no cold spots that I noticed. I suspect by this time next year you'll have an awfull lot of people begging you to run Xth Underblanket Group Buy ;)

Further thoughts : I didn't like feeling quite so constricted in hammock and mummy bag while being so warm, might have felt better in a traditional shaped one. Think I might opt for a Snugpak Jungle or stretchy Chrysalis one for my next bag. I'd be interested in hearing what bags are other using with their underblankets.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Used mine for the first time this weekend.

Used it in conjunction with my Hennessey, am gonna have to have a fiddle with it too perfect the set up, however I still had two nights of well toasty sleep.

Normally at this time of year I would pack a reindeer skin, this was warmer and took nowhere near as much space in my bergan.

Apart from me perfecting the setup, I am more then happy.

The only thing now is to test the robustness of it, will post a report at the end of the winter ;)

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
Hmmm not to sure about mine with the Hennessey deluxe asym it could have been a bit longer for the hennessy given it was supposed to be the large version.

I found the elastic to be to thin and will look at replacing mine with thicker better quality stuff. It did not stay in place and moved around too easily with the elastic and toggles.

I did find it ok with my snugpak softie elite 5 no problem there with warmth and the wind was up.

A little disappointed with the quality could have been finished a little better(elastic and toggles). It’s going to need a little modification I will try taking some photos next time we are out but all I have is this one at the moment.
Thanks Ian for all your work
hammockik3.jpg

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
Ok hands up i got it a little wrong with the set up, I have been online tonight with Ian. (who has been a fantastic help)
My doris (Mrs) is shouting at me because the living room has been taken over with the hammock and under blanket on her new curtain rails...lol
This is what i had
1stgo1.jpg

this is the correct way
2ndbe7.jpg

Hope this helps and Thanks to Ian once again

Calypso

Jun 24, 2005
Northumberland
Just got back from a weeks canoe trip on the Dee in Scotland. We used the underblankets all week and they were brilliant! I slept with a sleeping bag 'quilt style' on top and was really warm at all times. The week was fairly mild (snow on the first night but no frost all week), but there was a lot of wind. Losing heat by convection wasn't a problem and I had the best nights sleep of any trip away.

I'd recommend them to anyone. I used KevB's set up - worked really well.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Mine worked very well.

I usually have a mini hammock under my tarp as storage space and I attached the top bungie cords to that to draw the sides up well and fastened the others to the end of the hammock.

I doubled the bungies back to the underblanket to spread the loading on the cords too.

Attachments

• hammock.jpg
    hammock.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 423

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Hi everyone, :D
I am thinking about buying my wife and I two Hennessy Hammocks and I saw the under blankets on this thread!
How do I get hold of a couple of these superb blankets???? :lmao:
Cheer's :red:

:You_Rock_

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Just a brief note to say that I've finally used my first group buy underblanket. First trip out since I was ill in August last year.

Just a brief trip out to the forest at the top of the Black Isle last night. Cool and grey when I went out. Manage to get the flysheet up OK (you can tell it's a while since I've been out, one of the guylines must have been 30 feet long...)

Hammock up OK (still had the mossy net on, since I'd just decided to go out on a whim...)

I'd glance at the instructions for fitting the underblanket, so managed to get it more or less in place.

Settling down to read after a brew, I notice immediately how much warmer it was. I was also sleeping in a new Nanok 0°C rather than the normal -10°C. Temperature dropped to about 1°C or maybe a little below.

I had a good, warm nights sleep (despite waking up about 3 times for a pee - which might have been due to the rain!)

Lovely night out; including very bright moon and clear view of stars at 3am.

Back home for breakfast.

Thanks, mate. Good piece of kit. Looking forward to the next one.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Hi,

I've used the underblanket several times and must say it's fantastic. Definately since last time my friend used the underblanket and I was sleepig on an alumium mat in the hammock, which was way worse to say the least :p.

I sleep better when I'm camping then when I'm at home ;)

I'm still wondering what some loops are for on the underblanket. Like those that are between the middle and the end.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE