Feedback for Underblankets. Please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
oetzi,
I am a bit baffled as to why you have cut the outer cords and replaced them with different cord?

Mind it is your blanket so you can do as you want with it. I was just curious.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
a fidly set up, but only to be expected as it needs to be tuned to the hammock and the user.

I set mine up on my hennesey, using the 'cord stop' technique.

It's warm, very warm. As I'm a warm sleeper anyway, I can see times when the underblanket will be too warm [but too cold without it!].

Since I use a takonta which is way too big, I've split the system - just the tarp goes into the snakeskins.

The underblanket and hammock stay together, with the main hammock line going out through the bottom of a spare compression sack, and to a Crab. Everything else goes in the sack. Putting it up is so simple. tie up the end, open sack pull out the other crab and set up. Plump up the blanket and make any adjustments [which you do anyway with a hammock].

works for me

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
oetzi,
I am a bit baffled as to why you have cut the outer cords and replaced them with different cord?

Mind it is your blanket so you can do as you want with it. I was just curious.

Its just that I like to tinker with details and have access to loads of different shock cords. And being bedridden with rheumatic arthritis for a week made my hands itch and I simply had to do something.
Here I wanted to make them colour-coded, with differently shaped toggles, for ease of operation.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Well, AT LAST the Swiss customs decided to let go of the underblanket so that I could get my hands on it.
And very pleased I am that they finally did!!
At least they'd taken good care of it and repacked it nicely and safely before passing it on.
And they didn't bother giving me a bill for VAT...
The underblanket looks like the fluffiness itself, making me want to go out in the freezing weather to try it out at once. :red:

Again thanks a lot for organising all this, Ian.:You_Rock_

/ Karl

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Well, AT LAST the Swiss customs decided to let go of the underblanket so that I could get my hands on it.
The underblanket looks like the fluffiness itself, making me want to go out in the freezing weather to try it out at once. :red:

Well, time for some feedback on the underblanket AND the overquilt methinks.
I was right in my first impression: Both of them are like fluffiness itself.
Having used them a few times now (although still not in really cold weather), I feel very happy indeed with them. In fact, they've kept me very toasty indeed, indeed a bit too warm at times.
The only thing that feels it could do with a bit of improvement is the underblanket. When using it together with mozzie net, the set-up is far from quick and easy. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it's certainly a lot of fiddling involved before the underblanket is set up properly underneath the mozzie net. I wish there was some clever person that could figure out a way to simplify the hanging-up design.

/ Karl

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Ok, guys, carabinas it is.
Thanks for the tip!! :)
I'll give it a go the next time I'm out. Although I have to admit to not being in a hammocking mood at the moment, with the weather being just above freezing point and a wet, wet, wet layer of snow on everything, everywhere... *shiver*

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Had a couple of nights out this week Ian in the Dales, I`m not sure how cold it got down to on Wednesday night but I was nice and snug all night long. I`m just using the underblanket and a tiny 1 season bag and I`m sleeping right through without waking because of cold spots.

I`ve now got a problem in that I`ve got about £400 in sleeping bags which I no longer need.

Great bit of kit Ian :You_Rock_

Gailainne

Life Member
I got I guess one of the first generation underblankets ? Delamere Mar-Apr 2007, I did try it the second night there, but I did'nt see much difference, remember this was my first night in a hammock also, first generation DD.

So its stayed in the gear room :eek: since, however last outing to Morch's, I thought I'd try it again, first night, just my exped down mat, not fully inflated, and felt cold spots, usual, bum and heels, this was in a -5 deg C bag, I have a scrap piece of 6mm pad for sitting on, that ended up under my bum for added insulation.

NB The temp on one of my gadgets got down to 4.5 deg C however there was somewhere between 20-30 M/H winds blowing that night, even next day when it eased off it was still reading 17m/h

Second night, had a look at Tripitaka's set up during the day, and modified his approach to suit my set-up. I ran a second ridge line, under the tarp, and used this to tie up the underblanket, basically tied loops as close as possible to the u/blanket on the centre two, and slightly further away loops on the outer two, both ends, then used alpkit minicarbs to lock them to the ridge line, four sets of two bungee, four carbs. It worked a treat, no cold spots, and because the underblankets edges sit high on either side of you, so no wind felt either.

Regards

Stephen

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Ok my under blanket arrived and I decided to try it out the other weekend, I arrived on site very dark and it was raining hard and strung up the underblanket I slept rather cold that night next day I set it up better in the light the following night I slept like a baby!

So.. 2 things learned

1. Never ever take something for the first time ever without trying it out in the daylight ;)
2. The under blankets sits really nice on the henessy hammock!!

Thanks again ian for the group buy this is the best addition I had to my gear in a long time!!!

:You_Rock_

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I got my underblanket on the middlewood meet, and with some excellent pointers from Ian set it up in a few mins..... That night I had one of the warmest, comfiest nights ever.:You_Rock_

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
First time in mine last weekend at Morchs meet.

No probs setting it up in the dark after the excellent tutorial on here.

Slept in low temps/high winds in just boxers and a t-shirt with no cold spots despite not using an undermat with it. Very, very happy user here!

I *do* need to get a nalgene bottle though 'cause leaving the snug hammock in those temps for the call of nature was MOST unpleasant!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE