Feedback for Underblankets. Please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
No not too much stew, possibly having cords too tight. As I said in an earlier post each cord should only be supporting 1/8 of total weight of blanket, ie. 187gms or for us Imperial people, about 6oz.
Possibly you could sew a loop on the edge of blanket and tie cord to that. Will have to make enqiuries with Snugpak to do that on next batch.

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Yesterday morning I was planning to head out for the night, once finished work in the shop at 5.30pm, down by the beech at Tyningham, East Lothian...a usual spot to chill out...I've 3 different areas to pitch up camp all within a 15 min walk from the car which is great especially seeing it's getting darker at nights and not wanting a major hike before setting up camp.

I had already mailed "Wanderinstar" on the Friday evening saying I'd seen the latest posts re the underblankets and that some had already received theirs and was wondering if he had posted mine. I was a bit concerned, as I wasn't sure how he was posting them, that it would get caught up in the next postal strike the coming Monday so mentioned that if it hadn't been posted I'd get it collected by courier as I wanted it NOW :) and not for it to be lost in the backlog of parcels.

When I walked into the shop yesterday morning I got a pleasant surprise to see a parcel there for me...my underblanket. Now I was definitely heading out for the night...and the weather was perfect too.

I was hoping to get away sharp to get down and start to set up before dark but that didn't go to plan. Got to my usual spot at 7.30pm, went to collect enough wood to last the night & some for the morning and got the hammock up...next came the underblanket. I didn't spend too much time putting it up but did the best I could for the first time and in the dark. I attached the 2 shock cords at either end to the main hammock lines then, as I've got a Hennessey, threaded the guy lines through the webbing eyelets that were sewn into the sides...I presumed that's what they were for. It looked better once I'd put some tension into the shock cord lined running down the length of the blanket to draw it into the sides though it still didn't look quite right. There were the tail ends of the shock cord, from the sides, hanging loose so I tied these up to the main hammock lines too...this seemed to pull the ends in a bit more and shape it better. I was satisfied with what I'd done so far...it was covering the bottom of the hammock ok and should do the job though not quite right yet.

After a chicken curry, couple of beers and a wonder about I climbed into the hammock...it was great not having a scramble about with a thermalite which is what I usually use for insulation over the winter months. I had a great nights sleep...very warm and much more comfortable than the thermalite...you can really feel the difference of the warmth up the sides.

I took some pictures in the morning...as you'll see it could have been centred more but apart from that not a bad job for first time up. My only comment is, because the guy line runs through the eyelet, if they're meant too, it holds part of the blanket down so it can't come further up the side of the hammock...this was noticeable on my left side, when inside, as the eyelet was further up on that side towards my shoulders, with the Hennessey being asymmetric. I wasn't cold but could feel a slight difference in temperature if lying on that side compared to my right where you could see the blanket coming right up to the edge of the hammock....does that make any sense?? Next time I'll set up in daylight and spend a bit more time adjusting it so it's centred properly and the sides adjustments altered. I've already found a thread on here explaining more about the setup.

Have to say I'm absolutely delighted with the blanket!!! Thanks again Ian for all the hard work you've put into this. I go out throughout the winter months so this will ensure I'll always get a great nights sleep.

A few pics...

Underblanket1.jpg

Underblanket4.jpg

Underblanket3.jpg

Underblanket2.jpg

Underblanket5.jpg

Hammocksetup1.jpg

Hammocksetup2.jpg

Morningcamp1.jpg

Morningcamp2.jpg

View a few yards from the trees
Viewfromcamp.jpg

Breakfast on the go
Breakfast1.jpg

Espresso

Breakfast2.jpg

Looking forward to getting away next weekend...theres about 6 of us heading back to the same place...hopefully with the same weather too...it was like a summers day here :D

Vince

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Lo folks. Been browsing this thread and watching the group buys and i'm thinking of either buying a ready made one or making my own.

But from the pictures it seems hard to make out whether you've tied hte underblanket seperately to the trees or to your hammock.
Is it put up seperately?

Cheers

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Lo folks. Been browsing this thread and watching the group buys and i'm thinking of either buying a ready made one or making my own.

But from the pictures it seems hard to make out whether you've tied hte underblanket seperately to the trees or to your hammock.
Is it put up seperately?

Cheers
Generally, it hangs from the hammock fixings (rings at the ends of the MK hammocks for example), though some (like me) use a ridge line and tie the outer cords to that to raise the sides, and sometimes use the tensioning loops in the middle to tie the underblanket together in the middle so it encloses the hammock, or up to the ridgeline so the 'walls' sit higher around the hammock like a bath-tub.

HTH
Steve

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Hi Vince,
It looks like you may find Magikellys method better. He ties a cord from the corner loops and passes it over ridgeline. Personally I would prefer to use a piece of thin bungee rather than paracord. Next time you are out try that method. It should raise the ends up the sides of hammock. But remember the Golden Rule. KEEP ALL CORDS SLACK they only have to support the blanket NOT YOU..

MAGIKELLY DID SOME PHOTOS SOMEWHERE BUT i CANT FIND IT AT THE MOMENT

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Ive used the underblanket a few times now and on my hennessy i found it was best not use the side tie outs on the hammock and cinch up the shock cord along the length of the underblanket this bought the sides of the underblanket up the hammock more, first night i done it i pulled to tight and the u/blanket was too tight to the hammock which caused a cold spot as it was compressed have learnt by that and now have a great nights kip.
thanks wanderinstar great bit of kit.:You_Rock_

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
wOOdsmoke - point noted.

I usually make a fire just large enough for my needs...the fire you see there was in the morning which was set on the remnants of the fire from the evening before which was lager for cooking purposes.

strollon

Mar 4, 2005
suffolk
collected mine today,Friday at 9.30 set of for somerset, slept in hammock fri/ sat night with sleeping bag setup. came home sunday evening and found calling card from postman he had tried delivering at 10.15 but got no answer.How unlucky. But its looking like a well made bit of kit and i can't wait to try it out sometime. Thankyou wanderinstar for all your hard work.

Regards Strollon

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Haven't received mine yet. :(
I guess the Swiss customs officers want to have a good look at it before they pass it on to me.

/ Karl

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Ian,

Thanks for the heads up!!
I believe Iain is right: With Switzerland not being in the EU, there's still the matter of the customs forms to be filled out.
Thanks a lot for putting up with all of the troubles with the group buy in general, and my customs burocracy in particular!!

/ Karl

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I like sleeping in my hammock. But, until now, that perrenial problem of having to organise your mat under the sleeping bag has been something of a nightmare. Turn over in your sleep and - lo and behold - the mat escapes and, before long, your shoulders, back and kidneys begin to chill. The resulting miserable night makes you wonder whether you'd have been better off sleeping on that tree root after all.

Now, I can abandon those worries: my underblanket has saved the day! I tried it the other evening, rigged up with my Woody/Bushcraft Expeditions hammock, and was amazed at the difference. For the first time, I was actually comfortably warm. When I got home, I sorted out my kit and then thought I'd try it again. It took no time to set up and I spent a very cosy time watching the squirrels scuttling around in the upper branches of an ash tree and listening to the bird song.

Criticisms? Well, if I'm being really picky, I'd grumble about the bulk of it: it does occupy rather more of my pack than I'd like ideally but that is about it when it comes to gripes. I have tied a couple of short lengths of accessory cord to the mid-way tabs so I can truly cocoon myself if it gets nippy but, apart from that, it's a really well thought-out piece of kit.

For any hammock dwellers, this really is a superb piece of kit and worth every penny. I think that Wanderinstar needs to have unreasonable praise heaped upon him for coming up with the design and arranging the group buys. It is one of the few things that will always find a space in my pack.:D :D :D and one for luck :D .

Aug 16, 2007
Crawley
Just been up the Lake District with SOTP, couldn't get onto the camp site first night, so slung my hammock on a very large hill on a 45 degree slope at midnight, couldnt figure how to attatch the underblanket whilst holding a crappy torch and trying not to fall down the slope, so didn't bother, and froze all night. Next night, got onto campsite, set up properly, underblanket nicely attatched, went to sleep, woke up a couple of hours later, and had to undo sleeping bag as I was too hot! these underblankets are the mutts nuts!, cant wait to try it out when its well below zero - Thanks once again, Ian!
Charlie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE