Feedback for Underblankets. Please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
yea sometimes in forests I'm wondering if I'm not just hanging on the right heigth to have some hunters bullets accidentally hit me, guess I'll sleep on the ground between some tree roots from now on.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I posted this on SotP a little while ago and it is worth posting here. Basically how I set up my underblanket

Here we go. First you need to add a couple of things to your underblanket and also to your hammock.

Preparation
Get all four bungee cords from the end of the underblanket through a cord lock. Do this at but ends. It is footery but you can manage. Next add a piece of cord about 1m long to one of the tabs at each end of the underblanket. Lastly add a small loop of string to the carabiner, ring or hook at end of your hammock.

Setting up
Set up your hammock as normal. Put the underblanket IN the hammock and spread it out. Take one of the cord locks with the bungees through it and pass this through the loop of string on the hammock ring.

ub01.jpg

Do this at both ends. You can now tip the underblanket out of the hammock and it will hang under the hammock.

Take the string you attached to the underblanket and pass it over your ridge line (either the hammock ridge line or your tarp ridge line) and tie it to the opposite loop

ub02.jpg

Do this at both ends.

That is you set. To adjust the tension of the underblanket simply press the cord lock and either pull the bungees tighter or loosen them as required. Remember you want the underblanket resting gently against the underside of the hammock but not squeezed against it.

The string over the ridge line helps to take the weight of the underblanket and also spreads it. Like the bungees these may need adjusted but are easy to set.

Now you can lie back and enjoy the warmth.

ub03.jpg

Used mine this weekend as did Warthog 1981 and Stuart_Blink and we were all toasty warm. Just used our sleeping bags as blankets as the underblanket keeps you warm enough underneath on its own.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
John,
So you sling your hammock from tarp ridgeline? I presume they are prussics at the top. What do you use for ridgeline?
Another question. How do you fit mozzie net with those cords going over ridgeline?

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Very nice and practical MagiKelly ! I'll be copying that setup :)

Guess you let the cords go over the line under the mosquito net when there are mosquito's around.

MagiKelly

I discussed the new set up here

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=17893

I have not used it with the netting yet but I would just attach the insect netting ridge line to the ends of the carabibers as usual. Dead easy too as I just unhook the carabiners from the ridge then hook them back on.

EDIT And yes when the insect netting is installed the underblanket cords would go over that ridge line instead of the hammock one.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Yes John looks like a good setup. Was wondering if I knot the 2 pieces of climbing tape together, that I presently use to sling hammock ( who said Yorkshiremen were tight) would the prussic knot grip enough for hammock or do you think it may slide towards middle?

MagiKelly

wanderinstar said:
Yes John looks like a good setup. Was wondering if I knot the 2 pieces of climbing tape together, that I presently use to sling hammock ( who said Yorkshiremen were tight) would the prussic knot grip enough for hammock or do you think it may slide towards middle?

I thought about that too :rolleyes: I think the prussic for the hammock would be okay but I am not convinced that the prussic for the tarp would get a good grip. Of course the only way to find out is to try it.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Ian:)
I used my underblanket for the first time at the Spring Moot it was a good test as the weather was not good. It kept me lovely and warm, once I had adjusted it correctly, thanks Magikelly for tuturial. I only wished I had purchased one in one of the earlier group buys as I would have had lots more warm comfortable nights in my hammock.
Thanks for organising group buy
Chas

MagiKelly

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
My only feedback thus far (used it on a number of occasions since last September, but nothing REALLY sub-zero cold) is that it's lovely and warm and cosy, cuts noise down a little too.

For me 2 points of improvement could be

1) have it a little longer - I'm 6'2'' and find that the underblanket only just fits me, with careful positioning (first couple of times I just wacked it up and didn't think about the consequences....needless to say at around 4am I was :D )

2) A clear set of instructions in terms of how best to set it up included - even a little printed card or sommat?

I put 2 of the cords (outer two I think) through the end of the mosi netting and tie them to the stainless steel ring I've put in place (either end) and then put two (also either end!) over the mini-ridge line within the mosi netting (I've got mine set up as RM eco-hammock).

Hope all that makes sense!:eek:

Otherwise, superb bit of kit - would happily sleep out in MUCH colder temperatures!!

Ta!

Phil

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Sorry if this method had been posted before but thought I share my feedback on the underblanket...

Another option for the underblanket, it to take the bungee cords from each of the corners and pass them through the fabric loop opposite - then just bunch the bungees, make a loop in the end and hook them over your attachment point to your hammock tapes (or whatever you use - I have the magikelly hammock and have used a screw gate karabina on each end, so I put the loop of bungess through that). It keeps the underblanket snug and folded over itself at the ends, which cuts the draft, like a peapod!. I actually took the underblanket instead of my nanok to Waynes first aid course a few weeks back (accidentally - they look the same compressed) and was plenty warm enough in this setup. I think it performed well - it was quite mild weather in my estimate, but if I'd had a sleeping bag as well I could see it being very snug in cold weather.

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
My twopenneth ... I used mine with my Hennessey for the very wet and rather cold week of my Woodlander course a couple of weeks ago. All was well and I was warm enough with my sleeping bag over me quilt style, with temps down to about 5deg C. The blanket also seemed to resist soaking up the few drops of rain that made it past the hammock tarp.

The only slight 'feature' I found was that if I passed the tie-out elastics from the hammock through the loops on the blanket obviously designed for this, the hammock shape was slightly distorted, causing the mossie netting to droop down onto my face. Has anybody else with a Hennessey found this? Got a good work-around?

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I think that everybody has there own way of setting up the underblanket.
Personally I tied all 4 shockcords to the hammock ring. then the hammock and blanket cords could be passed through the sleeve in top of mozzie net. The main thing is not to have the cords too tight, they are only meant to support the blanket which only weighs 1.5 kgs. Thats 187gms per cord.
The next time I have mine out though, I will be trying Magikelly's idea and put a cord from end loops over ridge line. I am not convinced that it will be better, but I will try it and see.

:You_Rock_

Well once again thankyou Wanderingstar for the underblanket buy. You should go into business selling these!

I've used it a few times since getting it and find that the quality is excellent. The few times I've had a chance to be out in it so far have been remarkable. the difference with it on compared to say a thermarest slid in is amazing. Much more comfortable, moulded warmth and no cold spots. Fantastic bit of kit. It's multi functional as well, it's now going to be used as a summer sleeping quilt and a winter liner when using the tents.

I'm 5ft 11 and think that it would be better if it was slightly longer although i wear bivi boots so I don't notice any cold spots if I slide to far.

To set up in future, I'm going to sew toggles (on elastic) onto my hammock to mate with the loops sewn into the underblanket, I think this will make the underblanket more snug against the hammock. And again I think I'll use two end ropes over the tarp line like others have suggested.

For winter camping I'm making a fibre pile skin to go between the underblanket and hammock to increase it's winter rating. Wanderingstar said that Snugpack rate it -10, I think for comfort in Scotland it may need more insulation although I'm going to have to wait a wee while to try it and see. I'm sure for 95% of the time it will be more than adequate as we have less frosty nights up here now!

All in all a fantastic hammock underblanket and it works just fine with paradise and the group buy hammocks.

Cheers bud

Woodsmoke

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Redcollective,
I tried that method of passing outer cords through opposite loops and then out to hammock ring. But I found it bunched blanket up too much around my feet, rather uncomfortable. Now I just bunch all 4 cords together and tie to hammock ring, then adjust side tensioners to suit conditions.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Still well pleased with mine but one of the inner elastic cords has snapped where it joins the blanket......Hmmmm maybe too much stew.....
Not too sure how to mend it either. Anyone got any suggestions.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE