HEXAMINE. PLEASE READ!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rob.L.

Sep 1, 2014
Somerset
Thank you all for your comments and contributions on this matter.
Apologies if the information has not seemed clear to some or provoked mistrust.

As another contributor has pointed out, there is a high possibility of ever greater scrutiny regarding chemicals, in fact you can guarantee that.

The risk for the bushcrafter is that in the event of aggravated contact with the police and/or a subsequent search of your home or vehicle, any controlled substances found could easily put you in deeper water than at first. As with firearms your average rank and file officer will know nothing about the law and most likely 'push the panic button'.
There are many substances that are used by a significant number of people in this community and I know there are some with considerable quantities of some of these.
I think the Home Office's stance on not licencing bonafide users of hexamine is a very counterproductive move but my opinion counts for little so it's a like it or lump it situation.

I encourage anyone to keep abreast of changes in this whole area and make their own choices.

Best Regards.
Rob. L.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Provided a genuine firm has a genuine industrial need for something and traceable stock control they will not have a problem getting it/a licence. The governmental intention is to prevent it getting into the retail domestic market.
I quite agree with the first part but somewhat disagree with the second they are not trying to keep it from ordinary trekker who wants her tea warm but from terrorists, wannabe and others.

I know there are neutralizing solutions that work on both acid/base cases, don't know much more about them.

Falstaff

Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
As Rob L elegantly describes it, we do not want to be caught in un-intended cracks in the policy.
The retail domestic market is where terrorists, wannabe and others try to do their shopping posing as legit consumers, and are indistinguishable from you and I
- e.g. the deluded Reading couple who made and then tested explosives in their own back garden! Also the Glasgow airport attack guys buying lightweight ally gas canisters allegedly for barbecues - noticed how the sale of those has tightened up now? And the smaller caravan gas bottles are being withdrawn from sale - a favourite for Middle East bombs (and the Boston Marathon I think).

In the absence of knowing what corrosive substance has been used the best first response is to try to dilute/wash off with copious water. I carry a 5ltr container of drinking water in the transport pretty much all the time, suprising how often it has come in useful, but not for that.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
So what are the reliable cheap options in the UK now?
Are you all going to start or keep using catfood stoves ?
Are branded Esbit tablets part of the ban even tho those are a bit different to army hexamine?

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Copied from Esbit safety data sheet:

"... Keep away from sources of ignition - Do not smoke.
Eating, drinking, smoking, as well as food-storage ..."

So in absolutely no case should it be used for warming water for tea. :D

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
I must be dead then.
Personally I think that the Esbit tablets are too small but I used them back in the 60's and Hexie from the time I was 17 as a CMF grunt and while they stink a bit they do work to make a brew.
What stops me from using them now [ because freely available here] is the cost; they now cost more than canister gas for the same heat output.
But in the bushcraft setting I have used them mainly for firelighting when the wood is wet, and a candle stub is almost as good if a little harder to get to light.
However I have used a couple of hexie tablets one time as an emergency heat source, using the army American style canteen stove and my army kidney cup to brew up as an anti-hypothermia aid on one particular day walk when I found that the hut I was headed to had been vandalised and the huts wood stove was not usable
I am guessing that the idiots we voted in are going to see what little reaction there is in the UK to this type of legislation and follow on, a shame really as the tablets do have their uses.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I suppose eventually the supply will dry up. Best thing to do is either use up what you have, or keep a couple of blocks for a dire emergency. How long before Fire Dragon is banned because some folks are using it to make squeeze?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE