Favourite season to be camping in?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Strangly i would say winter. Nothing better than good mates under a tarp of happyness around a good fire talking about the most random stuff while a dutch oven cooking something warming and hearty and a few bottle of spirits being past around to keep everyone warm in the mean time.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I like Spring into summer as the weather is usually good then. Its the clear blue skies and views for miles in the hills that I liek on my wanderings. Then the amazing sunsets and sunrises. The sunrise seen from the comfort of your bivvy is something wonderous at that time of year I think. I think the air is clearer and the sun is lower on the horizon too so the quality of the light can be the best of the year.

That and I keep chickening out of a winter snow camp or the conditions for snowholing is not good enough for even a quinzee so I don't know what winter camping is like (wildcamping I mean, I've done the campsite thing near a pub and its ok).

Also summer is generally wet and miserable. You get wet from rain or from the sweat in your cag because it is still warm despite the rain.

Late summer or autumn is also good as september can often be quite warm and good weather. The leaves then start to turn into October. I like the way the leaves change gradually heading south as the cooler weather comes in. So you can go to Scotland one week and see the colours then Lakes a few weeks later and on into Wales and southern England. Extending the change in leaf colour. Not bad I reckon.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
Autumn. I love the autumn, the weather can be great, the colours are amazing and it's just starting to chill.

Boootiful.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, I agree about them all, I love that feeling of transition, if I had to pick one it would probably be Autumn. I think that the seasons were more defined when I was younger, although the last couple have winters have been quite wintery :D much more so than the summers being summery :D

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Spring for me, but only just. Blossom, wild edibles appearing, still cool enough for long walks but light enough to cook in daylight. The sense of everything re-awakening.

Having said that I enjoy being out in all the seasons.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Definitely winter. Nothing beats the sound of snow falling on a tarp and waking up to a crisp white morning is one of lifes very magic moments.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
In Scotland? Autumn for the beautiful evenings, but also winter when you know what your doing. Here in slain I've really enjoyed the hiking I did in early summer, now it's getting hotter I'm not sure it'll be so enjoyable putting the miles down. Its a lot harder finding water, too. At the same time it is awesome that its hot and sunny, its great being able to climb the mountains for the cooler air. I am looking forward to the 'winter' camping here too, I doubt there'll be many Spanish out hiking then!

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Not done any winter camping yet, but am really looking forward to it. Most of my camping in recent years have been March to May, when it's been dry and warm and importantly no midgies. Summer's good but only if you manage to somehow avoid the midge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE