Favourite meat for a Sunday roast?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fave Sunday dinner meat

• Beef

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Lamb

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Mutton

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Pork (but not gammon)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Gammon

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Chicken

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Turkey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buffalo or bison

• Nut roast (veggie option)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Fish

• Duck

• Venison

• Offal

• Alligator

• Other game bird

• Other game mammal

• Other vegetable option

• Whale/dolphin

• House special fried rice with mixed meat

• House special curry with mystery meat

• Total voters

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
What is your preferred meat for a Sunday roast?

I do like a nice thick piece or raw beef but then does that really beat a plate of lamb chops with their crispy fat.. And then there is pork and apple sauce plus the crackling that keeps it in the running. I do like duck and orange sauce but perhaps I can keep duck as a favourite chinese dish rather than a traditional roast. As much as I like those meats I'm voting for chicken, a much under appreciated choice for roasting.

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Pork, ideally shoulder but any that gives good crackling!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Just had a Sunday roast.... beef... meaty goodness :D

I may have got the quantities wrong as usual... still have half the beef joint left, but I did cook 5lb of spuds for roasties, broccoli, carrots, green beans, apple and sage stuffing, apple and pork sausages, 16x yorkshire puds and topped it all in beef gravy.

Means I've got something for supper :D

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Living alone, it's not often I get a roast of anything other than Chicken. It's easy to do a piece of roast chicken for one, either just a breast fillet, or a chicken quarter still on the bone. It's a lot harder to do a decent roast beef for one...

When out at a pub lunch where a roast is on offer, I will tend to go for the Beef as I don't get it so often...

J

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Tough one. A chicken was tops when I was a kid, was a rare treat and if you get a good well reared bird and roast it well it's fairly hard to beat.
Do like a nice bit of hogget or mutton. Hard to get though a couple of local farms sell half or whole beasts. Do like a nice roast bunny too, got to moisten it though.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sunday dinner? Chicken; but only if it's fried. otherwise it ain't really a proper Sunday chicken dinner.

If it absolutely must be roasted, then either beef (preferably a pot roast) or turkey.

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
My opinion changes on this through the year and with my mood. At the moment it's beef. Summer time I prefer chicken and will cut out all the heavy veg and replace with potato wedges and salad (is that still a roast though? The chicken bit is?). Lamb takes a step back around lambing time. I do a lot of fox shooting and feel a bit soft on the lambs for the time I'm out in the field looking after them. Can't bring myself to eat it until the sentimental bit of me has passed which is a little odd really as venison and other game doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Winter food has to be something I can cook on the wood burner. Not that I can't afford the gas, but why pay for it if you don't have to? I can just about do a full 3 pan roast on top of my Clearview 500, and at that point the cooking becomes the most enjoyable part of the whole process. Chicken is a difficult one at that time because it needs the larger pan to cook in. It makes the third pan a little bit of a balancing act!:rolleyes:

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
I love both beef and lamb, but it's not often that we have lamb due to the cost. So it's not a treat for us a couple of times a year. Beef on a Sunday has also started to become rear as the kids are not very keen on it at the moment. So we have been buying mainly chicken for our Sunday roast.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Taste wise I am not so sure but certainly from a satisfaction point of view there is something special about Pigeon or Rabbit served with vegetables that a couple of hours earlier the said Pigeon or Rabbit was trying to eat itself.

DB.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Home raised Norfolk black turkey - none for me this year though as the Stag was a Jaffa 😟

Favourite 'roast' of recent times was venison fillet Wellington.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE