Favourite meat for a Sunday roast?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fave Sunday dinner meat

• Beef

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Lamb

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Mutton

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Pork (but not gammon)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Gammon

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Chicken

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Turkey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buffalo or bison

• Nut roast (veggie option)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Fish

• Duck

• Venison

• Offal

• Alligator

• Other game bird

• Other game mammal

• Other vegetable option

• Whale/dolphin

• House special fried rice with mixed meat

• House special curry with mystery meat

• Total voters

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Possibly a strange question... but why is dolphin on the list? Do people eat dolphins? Or roast dolphins for that matter?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Possibly a strange question... but why is dolphin on the list? Do people eat dolphins? Or roast dolphins for that matter?

"Dolphin" is not just the mammal everybody thinks of. There's also a fish called "dolphin" (also known as Mahi-Mahi in some parts of the world, and Dorado in others) It's a very popular food fish:

SamDolphin.jpg

Last edited:

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Cannot stand roast beef.

Lamb every time, with pork close on its tail. Cannot remember the last time I had a Sunday roast though excluding Christmas and Easter

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I used to go out of my way to get a leg of mutton, from a little farm shop, because the sheep came from the moor overlooking my house, and you got little bit more than the lamb for the money, and I liked the idea that the sheep had led a full life.
Roasted in the oven, with a bit of oil and water, couldnt tell the difference really. I wouldnt say it was any tougher, but then I like my meat well done.
I guess the reason its not so popular, must be that its more profitable for the supermarkets to kill the lambs, than wait for the sheep to grow?
So muttons harder to come by.

My preference is a good cut of beef, being a Yorkshireman, as its the most suited to yorkshire puds. [Plus I like the creamed horseradish]

But Id be happy wit any meat, and when I travel, If I get a chance to try something different like caribou, I'll always have a go.
Never tried bison. Intend to when in Ontario. [Even if its only jerky]

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I like gammon because it is incomparably delicious cold as well as hot. However, after all the scares about cured meats, I reckon I'll being steering a gentle course away from it in the coming weeks, until they scare us away from eating something else.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like gammon because it is incomparably delicious cold as well as hot. However, after all the scares about cured meats, I reckon I'll being steering a gentle course away from it in the coming weeks, until they scare us away from eating something else.

Recent studies have proven that saliva causes cancer; but only when ingested in small amounts over a long period of time.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
My favorite at the mo is a nice roast chicken dinner. The old saying goes...

(Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Recent studies have proven that saliva causes cancer; but only when ingested in small amounts over a long period of time.

So that first mouthful after you have been salivating like a Pavlovian hound is carcinogenic. Is there anything that one can do or eat that won't give you cancer?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
So that first mouthful after you have been salivating like a Pavlovian hound is carcinogenic. Is there anything that one can do or eat that won't give you cancer?

Not eating at all will kill you faster though. ;)

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE