Favourite head gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gooner

Forager
Feb 27, 2014
Kent
Hi all just thinking about acquiring a new hat and got to wondering what do most use?
I tend to favour my old tweed flat cap for most things, in summer a bush type hat suits well, both could now do with being replaced.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must say I like my Tilley Hats. Have two cotton ones, a hemp one and the tweed winter hat too. Though lately I've been donning an old sheepskin job I bought about 25 years ago to keep my bonce warm. Used to be tweed flat caps a lot but for some reason I've stopped wearing them.

Good thread idea though.

my absolute favourite hat is a £5 cotton flat cap from matalan.
I wear it everyday winter or summer to and from work when out camping etc.
It's got a great campfire aroma which keeps me going in between woods time.

peak keeps rain or sun out of my eyes. doesnt get in the way. doesnt make me look a pillock like a baseball cap does.

if it gets really cold I might replace it with a possum merino wool beanie but it has to be properly brass monkies out

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've got a few flat caps, great, but I'm going to get a genuine tweed one soon, rather than a cheapo one. I use a Harilka 100% wool watch cap/ beanie as I'm not keen on brimmed hats myself. It's warm, and has a synthetic ring were the hat meets your head to stop itching. It's a great hat, I love it! :)

Hope this helps! :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
not the scots bonnet in the avatar then John?
I kinda like that.
but I also like goatboys sheepskin jobby he recently modelled

This one. It's ancient but so toasty.

IMG_0806.JPG

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
This thread is useless without pics!

Personally, I have only recently started to wear hats. As I "run warm", I tend not to wear them, but I love the idea of them, and as such have a few in my collection. The one that seems to get most wear is an Australian Kangaroo leather brimmed hat, as it is waterproof :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Another vote for Tilleys. The only hat I have ever worn for days on end that doesn't give me an itchy bonce.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I usually wear my 20 odd year old cotton Stussy baseball cap, if it's cold possibly a possum fur and merino beanie or just a lightweight fleece beanie. I bought a Blackrock down hat recently but it's been too warm to wear it.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
thats the beastie
where did you get that hat?

[video=youtube;SseqNp7n5FU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SseqNp7n5FU[/video]

I bought it in about 1989 driving down from Inverness in a car with no thermostat. I stopped in Aviemore just as the old Sheepskin shop was closing and purchased this lifesaver of a titfer (did you know this derives from 1930s abbreviation of rhyming slang "tit for tat") as my climbing thermometer was reading -12 inside the car. I don't think the shop is there anymore but I'm sure if you bought an old sheepskin jacket from a charity shop that you or someone could make one for very little. It's lovely for keeping my lugs warm when the flint sharp hail stones are precipitating with force from the side (as they often do 'round here). Also makes a grand pot cosy when you're out too.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
Harris tweed flatcap for winter (or hand knitted wool beanie if it's really cold), spring and autumn a felt wide brimmed hat, summer either a cotton bush hat or straw brimmed thing.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I may have t just do that.
and I didnt know the rhyming slang bit.
everydays a school day :)

If you like I'll take some pics (when I get home) of it from different angles and post them up for you? It's basically a circle for the top of the bonce, a yoke shaped band round the sides and lugs and the peak is a crescent. All seams to the interior. Doesn't need the studs to keep the earflaps up as it's fairly snug.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE