Favourite head gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Black bobcaps from the Esso garage, doubt I've ever paid more than three quid for one and if I can't find one on a cold morning when I'm going to work I just get another.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
http://www.furhatworld.com/shearling-sheepskin-trapper-hat-brown-napa-p-1824.html when its a really cold day not moving about much - http://www.ussen.co.uk/index.php/products/headwear/baltic-h/ - this for when its cauld and moving about - http://www.britishacademystore.com/shop/clothing/jack-pyke-fleece-neck-gaiter/ - this with the previous when very cold and windy - http://www.endicotts.co.uk/componen...andard-style-olive-green--328-detail?Itemid=0 - and a similar one like this when its sunny ( sunny lol ).

cheers Andrew.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Depending upon weather and temperature its a mix of beanie, army jungle type and baseball cap. I like flat caps and will dig mine out if I get another Barbour jacket.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
For me, an insulated waterproof baseball type cap with fold down earflaps. The earflaps hide up in the crown when not needed. They also fit nicely in a pocket or under a hood. The Lowe Mountain cap is similar. Musto do a good one. I went off normal tweed flat caps when my ears nearly fell off on one extremely cold shoot with a nasty east wind.
musto-technical-waterproof-keepers-hat.jpg1

For summer I favour something similar - a baseball-type cap with a kepi-section you can fold up out of the way when you are worried about looking like a wally, but fold down when you are worried about your ears turning black and falling off. Again they fit nicely in a pocket and under a hood. It took some time to find a good un, but the North Face "Mullet" hat is.

29017_enlarged.jpg

Broad brimmed hats like Tilleys and Akubras are nice in the rain and I have them, but you have to wear them all the time. Ok for canoeing.

Last edited:

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
I love US army boonie hats (olive green) do you think possible to wax one of these, and would you recommend sewing a liner in it to stop the wax seeping in

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
re the ear problem with flat caps, in really cold windy weather I wear a headover (buff, snood whatever you call em) pulled up under my flap cap, I look like a Russian peasant, but it works.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do similar but just use a wide wool scarf. It can go over the top of the cap, warming the ears and tying on the hat, over the mouth and nose is stinging hail or sleet or many other configurations. Works well.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Tilley T3 in cotton duck has been my standard headgear for twenty-odd years. They stand by their guarantee and the hats are superb for the outdoors. I do have a few other Tilley styles, including a lightweight synthetic one, a T1 bucket style and a wool cap, but the T3 remains the most versatile.

Others suggested that I'd find a peaked cap essential when hiking (baseball or trucker style), but I can't say I've been impressed. Keeps the rain off your face but they're ugly things and offer little in the way of weather protection. Much more useful - and stylish! - is a beret. Try a largish model, impermeable to keep the elements at bay, which you can reshape as needed to fend off the sun and rain. There's a very informative website here offering a huge range, but the brave will find the Basque txapeldun gives the best coverage, and will surely receive the most admiring comments...

Last edited:

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
tilley hat in summer, fleece buff in winter, and I used to have a nice "turtle fur" hat till someone lost it........
thats what wives are for.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
not the scots bonnet in the avatar then John?
I kinda like that.
but I also like goatboys sheepskin jobby he recently modelled

Mr Tanith,

Sorry for the delay but here's the pics of the hat as promised so you can make/have one made.

IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Sorry they're not the greatest of pictures, and sorry for the ugly mug - I shaved my beard off yesterday for the first time in decades in a fit of boredom. Growin iy back as we speak

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Tilley T3 for me as well. Ears aren't covered, but my wife knitted me a simple wool headband that covers my ears and can be worn with the Tilley. Toasty.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Mr Tanith,

Sorry for the delay but here's the pics of the hat as promised so you can make/have one made.

IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Sorry they're not the greatest of pictures, and sorry for the ugly mug - I shaved my beard off yesterday for the first time in decades in a fit of boredom. Growin iy back as we speak

Don't grow it back, a beard adds years to most chaps and IMHO non shaving is a sign of laziness... just my view.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Grow it back!
I have not taken part in the stupidly time-wasting ritual of shaving in 40 years - shaving is for those lesser men who can't grow a decent beard! My personal view on it :)
The gods gave Men beards and did not give them to Ladies - why try and look like a Lady?
Unless of course you are trying to tell the world something......

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
In the winter/autumn I wear a dutch army trapper style hat and have had about three of them over the part 15 years. They are excellent hats, versatile and cheap. I have taken to waxing the outside of it with some Greenland wax to add a bit of water repellency.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE