Favourite Bushcraft/Survival fiction books and films

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Apart from reading and watching Bushcraft related books and TV programmes, DVDs etc, what are your favourite fiction books or films/TV, where your skills may help if in that situation?

I'll kick off with a couple

All the Mad Max movies
Day of the Triffids (book much more than film)
BBC "Survivors" series 1,2 and 3
Lord of the flies (book and original film)
Robinson Crusoe
The Day After Tomorrow
The Omega Man
and more

I picked up the BBC Survivors a week or so ago, not seen the series since the late 70's, still good stuff

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
rik_uk3 said:
Apart from reading and watching Bushcraft related books and TV programmes, DVDs etc, what are your favourite fiction books or films/TV, where your skills may help if in that situation?

I'll kick off with a couple

All the Mad Max movies
Day of the Triffids (book much more than film)
BBC "Survivors" series 1,2 and 3
Lord of the flies (book and original film)
Robinson Crusoe
The Day After Tomorrow
The Omega Man
and more

I picked up the BBC Survivors a week or so ago, not seen the series since the late 70's, still good stuff
I am wondering how your bushcraft skills would help you on the day of the triffids, would you whittle a spoon out of one with your sak............. :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
rik_uk3 said:
Jon, the book is really great, they live on a farm for several years, your skills would be handy ;)
I bet it is, the books are nearly always better than the films and the film was good I seem to remember, cor, it was a long time ago...........

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
War of the Worlds (the original book)
The Kraken wakes
War Day

Some a bit "postwar" but the elements of preparedness and self reliance are well made.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Not terribly bushcraft but I really liked "Grey Owl" I thought that it had a terrific sense of wilderness vs town

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
M

Millbilly

Wolf Brother, by Michelle Paver.

Its actually a childrens book, but i read it recently and found it quite entertaining, i hadnt worked out it was for "young adults" till i saw it in a book shop a while after i read it :rolleyes:

A lot of fun :)

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i love dances with wolves, i think that the lives the plains indians live contain a lot of buscraft, there raw hide tipis are cool aswell
leon

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Millbilly said:
Wolf Brother, by Michelle Paver.

Its actually a childrens book, but i read it recently and found it quite entertaining, i hadnt worked out it was for "young adults" till i saw it in a book shop a while after i read it :rolleyes:

A lot of fun :)
My teenage son thought that was a terrific book too and he is nearly 18 :) Mind you he loves Wolves, (Anilmals not football team) and has pictures of them on his wall, PC desktop etc..

He thinks that there are several others in a series and was trying to get hold of them I will ask how he is getting on.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Zodiak said:
My teenage son thought that was a terrific book too and he is nearly 18 :) Mind you he loves Wolves, (Anilmals not football team) and has pictures of them on his wall, PC desktop etc..

He thinks that there are several others in a series and was trying to get hold of them I will ask how he is getting on.

I have to agree with these being brilliant books , i have only read her first 2 in this series , but there is a third out now called soul eater . Here is her fan site for the series of books .

The Clan

Pumbaa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE