Recomend me some good EOTWAWKI books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I bought a paper copy - seeing the irony of buying a book about the end of electricity on a kindle :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
One second after is certainly one of the better modern EOTW books and worth a look for - as is Last Light and TFNS. There aren't many in the Genre that are good stand alone novels but these are.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Bbump for this - I'm looking for any ( if not all ) copies of 'The Survivalist' By Jerry Ahern as i have a desire to read some pulp fiction from my teenage years.

So looking for as many copies as possible and I'm pretty sure someone on here had the complete works but my search has let me down , if anyone out there has a few copies and is happy to lend them out or more that I will purchase please PM me.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Strangely, I find The Road to be quite uplifting.

The son was born into the apocalypse, he's never known anything else. He is surrounded by horror, hopelessness and fear, but he retains his essential humanity. He is charitable towards his fellow man and eventually finds salvation with a group of likeminded folk who take him in when all seems lost.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I went to see The Road at the cinema.

Someone's phone went off but instead of the usual tutting we all cut the bloke some slack in case it was The Samaritans returning his call.

Grim movie.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Bbump for this - I'm looking for any ( if not all ) copies of 'The Survivalist' By Jerry Ahern as i have a desire to read some pulp fiction from my teenage years.

So looking for as many copies as possible and I'm pretty sure someone on here had the complete works but my search has let me down , if anyone out there has a few copies and is happy to lend them out or more that I will purchase please PM me.

Hey TeeDee,
I've got PDF files of these books if you're interested, they can be put onto a Kindle (via Calibre) or whatever reading tablet, laptop PC you have. I have vols 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10 & 16.

I also have Vols 1, 2 & 3 of Takers by Jerry Ahern.

In total they're just over 8mbs in size so I could email them. Hard copies are best of course, but if Sandbender has then then great.

Countryman, your posting made me laugh! Thanks man!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...but if Sandbender has then then great..."

The same ones, .lits and .pdbs though but no copies of 'The Takers'.

:)

The other night I watched 'The Mist' which was based on the Stephen King novella of the same name. I haven't read the book but it would certainly fit in the 'teotwawki' bracket.

Not one I'd recommend to anyone prone to depression though, After watching the film I had to go and listen to a couple of Stevie Wonder and Al Green albums to cheer myself up. :(

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
  • The Sixth Winter
by
Douglas Orgill, John Gribbin (Kindle Link) Good read though looses itself at the end.

• Nation
by
Terry Pratchett (Kindle Link) A book for young adults but very readable by adults too. I enjoyed it.​

• The Long Earth
by
Baxter Stephen Pratchett Terry (Kindle Link) End of the world by the discovery of infinite other Earths. Interesting and the sequel "The Long War" has just been released but not bought yet.

• The Destroyer Series
by
Richard Sapir & Warren Murphy (Kindle Link) Some 145 titles in the series, the worlds always about to end, totally formulaic and cheap as chips for the kindle which is just as well as I can read 3 of these a day no problem. Not mentally challenging but fun with some good ideas. Been reading them on cheap paper pulp novels for years when I could get them, now on the kindle:eek:.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Robert Wolff 'Rain of Ashes' a more unusual eotw book, not pulpy but based on the author's experiences of living with an Indonesian tribe, there's not much action but it throws up lots of interesting ideas about learning how to live in balance with nature again and building a community from scratch:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rain-Ashes-...qid=1373870939&sr=1-12&keywords=Rain+of+ashes

Another one of his books which I found amazing is Original Wisdom, written about his experiences with the Sng'oi tribe.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Aaron
Read the dark tower mate
you won't regret it :)

Man of tanith, I have a bone to pick with you!!!
Following your recommendation I got the first dark tower book for my kindle, couldn't decide whether it was either very good or not really my thing, so far so good, then I bought the second and I don't think I have really noticed working, eating, sleeping etc.... Since! :)

I can't even pin down why they are so good but I am now on book 5 and am constantly trying to analyse what's happened in previous books to how the story is progressing and the relevance of seemingly trivial events several chapters on, i am even finding myself lying in bed trying to work out what now things are going to unfold.

So I suppose a thank you is in order and a recommendation to anyone to read these books but be warned they will take over your life for a good few week/months dependant on how quickly you get through them!!! :)

Hamster

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The Dark Tower are a great series. Wizard and Glass was definitely my favourite. It kind of gets a bit (more) crazy after book 5 though...

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
About a third of the way in to Paolo Bacigalupi's The Water Knife.

An entertaining read so far although it tells the tale of a very unhappy future for the U.S.A.

A lack of water over much of the south west leads to cities being abandoned, those regions that have water fight legally and illegally to ensure that it remains theirs. As the years pass people try to move further north and east but those states are having none of it. Texans et al become the new illegals. Subject to summary justice and preyed upon by criminals.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE