Things from Ron Edwards Bushcraft series of Books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The usual thing was to improve the grip by using the clamp between the thighs, Tom, and squeezing slightly whist using it; all the harness makers I knew reckoned that having them fairly tight "as is" made it a lot slower and more awkward to move the work along in the jaws.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, they ain't that tight as I was concerned with digging into the leather, but if they do prove awkward I can loosen them off some by remounting the top bolt a few inches closer to the bottom two. I had to fight the urge to slap glue between the bolts which would have been overkill strength wise and made them a pig to alter. Old habits die hard!

I've put a coat of satin yacht varnish on them, I don't think it will need a second. The glues waterproof.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
An excellent point Crowe! Somewhere I did a tutorial on making bottle brushes, specifically for long ones for cleaning hydration tubes and sponge tipped ones for drying them out and I used a drill then, they work very well especially with lighter gauges.

As well as horsehair or nylon bristles and sponge you can put pan scrub material ( comes in sheets, usually green ) between the wires before twisting and trimmed they clean out stubborn stains. You have to take care of coarse as they do leave scratches.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
And one last one for today, a variation on the fencing wire flip toaster

image.jpg1_zpsy7nspf6o.jpg

Harder to make, uses more materials and as far as I can tell does nothing the other doesn't do. Maybe a little stronger,

atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE