Recomend me some good EOTWAWKI books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trod

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2011
Wigan
Sorry, I think its a survivalists wet dream kit list, seasoned with religious extremism and populated by poorly drawn two dimensional characters - my nominee for the worst EOTWAWKI fiction ever.

Now "There Falls No Shadow" by David Crossley - that I like
I agree totally with the religion point and kit list. Will try your recomended book "There Falls No Shadow"

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
i've yet to succumb to the kindle....
but i might do soon i fear

There is no reason to buy a Kindle just to read Kindle eBooks. There are Kindle readers for Android and Windows PCs and probably something for iPhones, Macs and the like too. I use a Kindle reader on my Android phone with no problem.

Cheers!

Huon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You know about the Nantucket series don't you Sam? Describing where Nantucket went and what happened to the people who lived there?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Have you read the Alfred series by Bernard Cornwell? I'd go for them next if not - startlingly good - adventure and battles!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro "False dawn"

Also, if you can struggle through the sheer length of it (and the massive weight of the book), "Ash" by Mary Gentle is a fantastic read that falls into the category, although for most of the book it doesn't feel like it, being more a historical epic (but gentle is a historian anyway, and her medieval realism is superb). In fact, Many of Mary Gentle's works have an End of the World flavour - the "Orthe" dualology "Golden Witchbreed" and "Ancient Light", and the later Valentine White Crow books, especially "Left to his own devices". Gentle is one of my favourite writers.

For a different take, look at books by Sheri S. Tepper. Often written from a highly feminist/conservationist angle, but very well done. You might try "Beauty", "The gate to women's country" (uncomfortable reading for a man), and "Gibbon's Decline and Fall".

Finally, Elizabeth Hand "Winterlong" and the sequel, "Aestival tide" are like nothing else you will ever have read, but are post apocalyptic. Not an easy read, but very rewarding.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I saw a book at a mate's house the other day titled Afterlight by Alex Scarrow and I just ran a search through my extensive Kindle library and found I have 4 books by this author, including Last Light which is the prequel to the Afterlight book.

Anyone read these books, if so, are they any good? They look like an interesting read based on the blurb.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Last Light is a very good book indeed - rather dark and probably quite believable. Afterlight is okay but not as good. If you liked "One Second After", these are good and UK based.

Do try "There Falls No Shadow" as well if you enjoy "Last Light"

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I remember studying 'Z for Zachariah' in English class all those years ago. For me it was a good read as far as fiction books go.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Last Light is a very good book indeed - rather dark and probably quite believable. Afterlight is okay but not as good. If you liked "One Second After", these are good and UK based.

I'll have to give those two a go they sound interesting...

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Thanks for the feedback Red. I ran a search for One Second After but it's not in my library. I'll find it one day, I have more Kindle files on my other PC, maybe it's on there.

I remember studying 'Z for Zachariah' in English class all those years ago. For me it was a good read as far as fiction books go.

I ran a google search for that and I remember a sci-fi mine series in the 80's based in a Welsh valley that had escaped fallout. It looks like this is what the TV programme was based on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE