Farewell chaps,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Dave has 11,000 posts, highly unlikely he disproves of folk spending time on the internet :D

From their latest threads I'd say they had come to the conclusion that a good many folk on here talk about bushcraft more than they actually do it & I think it saddened them that we spend more time in front of our screens jabbering on about kit & all the things we'd like to do rather than being out & about enjoyng ourselves............................................am I right southey ? :D

It would be even sadder if longstanding and respected members of the forum were leaving for this reason. I'm sure we all get out when we can, but reality has a funny way of putting obstacles in our paths. Sorry to see you go Southey, but I'm glad it's not for the above reason.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
People move on and that's just life.

I don't post as much as I used to these days but I still check in and keep in touch because I've met a lot of good folk here.

If someone is looking for an excuse to leave, there is so much diversity to the threads here they'll soon find something they can say was the final straw.

There has always been a certain divergence between the idea of doing "Bushcraft" (Whatever that is.) and writing about it on a forum. Some would say they are fundamentally incompatible and perhaps they are right but I don't think so.

All I know is that since being a member of this forum I have had an increase in opportunities to get out there though meet ups, courses and expeditions that I wouldn't have known about if I wasn't here.

I wish them both well in their futures. So long.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sad to hear it sound so permanent rather than just having a breather:( fingers crossed they'l be back but in the meantime.....

Good luck Southey and Raikey !

:beerchug::camping:

Plus 1 to this sentiment. The forum swings back and forth. Usually whatever irks me goes away and good threads come back. Hopefully so will these 2 good contributors.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Just seen this, I'm on a CPC driving course just now in perth.

gutted to say the very least... But at the same time you need to do whats best for you.

May what ever god/gods you follow go with you and guid you well.

Rob.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Good luck with whatever you are doing next Southey, you've taken the time to send me PM replies on kit questions and didn't know me from Adam.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have only just seen this ...
Good luck to both of you guys - you will be missed!
But
"If it feels right - do it ...if it don't - don't"
Have fun whatever you are doing!

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Thanks for the banter Dave, good luck with your escapades & stay out of trouble :)

[video=youtube_share;E0w1W5RGx9Q]http://youtu.be/E0w1W5RGx9Q[/video]

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I'm a mod on a few other forums, on 1 there is a guy that throws a tantrum because someone disagrees with him, then starts a thread saying how he is going to leave at LEAST twice a year.

I love it here, i love the variety, the experience and the helpfulness, but i've never been on a forum where as many people throw tantrums.
Be it telling people they're going on a ignore list, starting threads to say they're leaving or complaining that it's "not how it used to be" if someone disagrees, it's enough to wonder if our hobby has something that attracts drama queens.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This one doesn't come across as a tantrum though. It has the feel of an old member saying goodbye to old friends. Hopefully he'll be back. But if not I wish him well.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
This one doesn't come across as a tantrum though. It has the feel of an old member saying goodbye to old friends. Hopefully he'll be back. But if not I wish him well.

Then why the grand statement?

If your interested enough in a subject to be a active participant for 6 years and 11,000 posts then that interest doesn't just stop.

So it's a pretty safe bet that your going to want to come here again to read a post or search for a article you remembered.
Chances are that even if your not interested in the subject right now, sometime in the future your interest might ***** again.

So the grand statement in cases like this just screams to me ASW who cares more about trying to make a statement than loosing interest.

Don't get me wrong, there are a couple of folks on here that sometimes drive me crazy, but they also offer good opinions sometimes with well backed experience, so stomping off in a huff declaring "i'll NEVER ever ever ever come back" often comes off as just a bit desperate and attention seeking to me.

Bit like a kid that refuses to eat their lunch because they didn't get the gift they wanted.

Not saying that's the case here, as i don't know the op or the situation and have no real interest enough to search to see there has been a argument.
In general though these type of farewell threads just seem a bit attention seeking to me.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The other one left without a long goodbye, like a real quitter! ;)

I don't know the details, and it does seem a bit 'attention seeky' but itsn't important, the final decision has been made. To go back on it now.. well, we all know what that would mean! :p

:pokenest:

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I don't think we can accuse southey of being a drama queen though I admit I don't quite understand the need for a curtain call, just don't visit the site or post anymore................
Although we had a few run ins in the past I rather liked his virtual self, the fastest draw at putting up photos this side of the pecos, always ready to help & someone who genuinely likes his fellow man................his surrealistic humour will be missed too, t'was often needed to lighten the atmosphere............. Ah well, at least we still have BushwhackerBob to keep us amused :D

I hope southey's enjoying reading his obituaries from way on high :p

Last edited:

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Never knew Southey but I wish him well. Seemed like a decent bloke and as he himself said, "you need to leave so you can return."

Good luck

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Guys, don't analyse it, especially since all people are doing is guessing, often wildly. Reasons don't matter.

Let's just thank a long time member for his significant contribution to our favourite site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE