FANtasia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
This is something I've been playing with recently, I have to thank Sean Hellman for the inspiration to give this a go, these are made from Ash and some skanky old pine roofing battens that i had laying around after re felting the shed roof last year,, the small one is the Ash one.

At least i know that if im in a pinch for materials, all i have to do is run down to the Timber yard and get a bucket of offcuts and i can make some more in the absence of having other materials to hand

DSCF0235.jpg

DSCF0304.jpg

DSCF0299.jpg

DSCF0306.jpg

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
Looking good Kepis. All you need to do now is to carve a birds body before fanning out the feathers.

If you make the interlock bigger and deeper you will find that you can fit far more individual feathers into the fan. The interlock is the bit or groove near the top of the feathers. The aim is to rive or split the feathers under 1mm in thickness!

If anyone wants to find out a bit more have a look at my website or blog, I have some videos there. My web site is seanhellman.com

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers Sean and thanks for the info and the inspiration to try these in the first place, im hopefully picking up a load of Ash on Friday so this weekends task will be to make a bird.

Mark

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Thanks for sharing that. The video of Sean making them on his web site is inspirational. I like the idea of practicing the fan part of it on a block of wood, like you have done before going on to try a finished bird. I was surprised that you could get wood to bend like that without snapping, so may have to give that a go now that I have most of the tools.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers mate

You coming to the meet up in a few weeks Neumo?, if so I suppose we could make a few fans at there - just a thought.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE