FAC's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
I own three airguns, and, while I only hunt with one, I use all of them regularly. It seems likely though, that in the near future, it is possible that they will be contained under tha laws for other firearms. This may or may not be the case, but I would like to find out how much FAC's cost, so if this possible eventuality comes into place, I will be slightly more prepared than I am now.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
I think its £50 for the intitial grant, and then £40 for renewal every 5 years...When you have your FAC, if you wish to add an additional firearm, its £26 for the variation. Other types of variation are currently free.

In addition to these costs, if airguns below 14foot/lbs are brought on ticket ( I can't see it happening myself) you may also be required to house it securely, which in practical terms usually means a steel gun cabinet costing around £100 upwards.

If they do make an FAC a requirement for owning an airgun, my best advice is to sell them and get a .22LR rimfire...You will see a huge increase in performance and a good used ..22LR can be had for £100 to £150 if you shop around and it will out shoot a 14foot/lb air rifle costing three or four times as much...

Regards,

Pete

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Its not just the licence you have to think about but also a firearms secure locker! If the law does change then you will probably have to treat your air rifle the same as any other licenced firearm.

With seperate secure lockers for the weapon and the ammunition!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pete E said:
I think its £50 for the intitial grant, and then £40 for renewal every 5 years...When you have your FAC, if you wish to add an additional firearm, its £26 for the variation. Other types of variation are currently free.

In addition to these costs, if airguns below 14foot/lbs are brought on ticket ( I can't see it happening myself) you may also be required to house it securely, which in practical terms usually means a steel gun cabinet costing around £100 upwards.

If they do make an FAC a requirement for owning an airgun, my best advice is to sell them and get a .22LR rimfire...You will see a huge increase in performance and a good used ..22LR can be had for £100 to £150 if you shop around and it will out shoot a 14foot/lb air rifle costing three or four times as much...

Regards,

Pete
The limit is 12 foot lbs by the way, not 14 ;). Your prices for the application are correct, but variations only cost money for additional firearms - not for changing types. You can apply for several at the same time and change your mind later as to calibre etc. at no charge. You do need a way to secure all firearms - a bolted down cabinet is the norm

Red

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Sorry, my mistake on the 12foot/lbs...as for the cost of other variations, I did say it was £26 for additional firearms to be added and other types were currently free..

If such a thing came about, I wonder if they would have less stringent secuirity requirements for a sub 12footl/lb air rifle??? Anybody currently have expirience with FAC rated air rifles as far as security goes??

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
In NI most airguns are FAC rated and almost all airgubs require the same licence and storage as rimfire rifles, shotgun's, fullbore rifles and pistols.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I do not believe that sub 12ft-lb air rifles will be subject to licensing in the foreseeable future. The current licensing system just about copes, but with an estimated 3 to 4 million air weapons in the UK, the police themselves are not in favour of airgun licensing.

The new Violent Crime Reduction laws will restrict airgun sales to Registered Firearms Dealers. For once, I think the government have got it right. Some shops have been selling cheap but powerful Chinese air rifles alongside toy guns, with dubious age checking, and there have been problems as a result. But it is very unfair on a few long established highly responsible mail order retailers, as mail order sales will be banned too. If you want a new air rifle at a good price, it might be worth buying mail order now.

My own experience of firearms licensing has been entirely positive. The police were very helpful and courteous and everything was processed quickly. They are also very thorough.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Doc said:
My own experience of firearms licensing has been entirely positive. The police were very helpful and courteous and everything was processed quickly. They are also very thorough.

I must agree that i have always found Firearms Licencing and my local Firearms officer very down to earth and genuine people who go out of their way to help.

Cormac

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2006
S. Ireland
in ireland all guns bar those under 1 joule are "on ticket" the thing is you can get a .22 airrifle you need the safe club/permission of 3 farmers ,easy enough outside the pale

then once i have my air rifle i can go down the next day and get a .22 swift on the same licence

also you certs are €38 per gun per year,,, excluding shotgun for vermin...

the certs will soon be going to 3 year cert which means my 3 rifles will cost me € 342 in july + membership €400 ,, then you have the cost of the safe balenced out ammo,,€40+ a month,can cost more as most are limeted to 100 rounds,,, luckaly i have 50,000(thank you guard)

it is very expensive ,,, and can be very hard to get a licence,,

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
rapidboy said:
I must agree that i have always found Firearms Licencing and my local Firearms officer very down to earth and genuine people who go out of their way to help.

Totally agree! South Wales Police are great! I've held and FAC for near twenty years now and the licensing department has always been great.

John

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Pete E said:
If they do make an FAC a requirement for owning an airgun, my best advice is to sell them and get a .22LR rimfire...You will see a huge increase in performance and a good used ..22LR can be had for £100 to £150 if you shop around and it will out shoot a 14foot/lb air rifle costing three or four times as much.

Pete

They do indeed and that’s the best argument for having both. Down here in the South-East the use of a rimfire on squirrels means, if you have any regard for public safety and the retention of your FAC, turning down at least 75% (maybe rising to 50% in deepest winter) of shots. This is where an air rifle comes into its own. It also happens to be the finest aid to improved marksmanship ever conceived in regards to both cost and accessibility for what one would pray remain the majority of responsibly-minded kids.

Cheers

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
Pete E said:

Regards,

Pete

This may sound dimwitted, but over all the many years of hearing the word rimfire, I still haven't the faintest idea of what it is. Is it just just a different kind of air rifle or a completely different kind of gun? :eek:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Ralph said:
This may sound dimwitted, but over all the many years of hearing the word rimfire, I still haven't the faintest idea of what it is. Is it just just a different kind of air rifle or a completely different kind of gun? :eek:

Rimfire is a bullet fired by hitting the side of the base of the case,or rim.As opposed to centre fire,where the firing bit is in the centre of the case.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A rimfire is a variety of live ammunition. In effect the primer is contained in the rim of the cartridge rather than the centre of the cartridge (centre fire). Although a variety of calibres have been made, .22LR (long rifle) is now the predominant rimfire cartridge followed by the longer .22 Magnum and .17HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire - based on a necked down .22 Mag)

Red

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Not dimwitted and very wise to ask.

Although there are several rimfire cartridges but the most common is the .22 long rifle. As mentioned this is a firearm - the bullet is propelled by burning powder (originally gunpowder, now a modern propellant powder).

A .22 long rifle bullet has a muzzle energy of around 120 ft lbs - about ten times that of a normal UK air rifle. Other cartridge firearms can be much more powerful - those used for deer typically have over 2000 ft lbs of muzzle energy.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
Oh. thanks.
Actually, a few seconds on google soon revealed what rimfire rifles were, I just didnt think to look. :rolleyes: :eek:

jack sparrow

Feb 23, 2007
Warwickshire
I also think its a good idea to keep at least one air rifle in your cabnet, as they are brilliant around farm building where the rim fire would be unsuitable.

My FAC officer is also spot on, he has always gone out of his way to help me out when needed, but at the moment there is 8 week waiting to get any changes done to your licence, and this always seems the norm here in Warwickshire, so you just need to plan ahead if you need changes made to your licence.

YIS
JS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE