Peanut lighter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all and hope this finds you all well.

So mini "Peanut Lighters" or small keyring type lighters, what's your experience?

I am not talking ferro or steel spark producers here but instead the liquid fuel spark activated source of flame.

Over the years I have had several variations from group buys here and over on BB, however they have all had their faults and eventually failed for one reason or another.
I now find my self wanting another to replace it but at the same time I want something more sustainable, maintainable? With all such things I understand that it may cost a few quid more than spent previously but at the same time I don't want to throw good cash at something that is style over function.

Thoughts all?

Considerations.

Must be keyring size.
Must be liquid fuel.
Leak proof.
Very low usage.
Light if possible.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Just to be clear - you don’t want a “permanent match” (2” x 1.5” x 1/2”) that uses lighter fuel and a ferro rod combined with a wick. It requires two hands. I have a new one that was back up for the one I used for years.

I’ve had a “Turbo” acorn type lighter but it didn’t work after its first refilling. I got a replacement and that didn’t work after its first tank full either - I gave up.

You are looking for a one handed butane lighter fired by a piezo crystal - yes? Like the disposables?

Or are you looking for a petrol and flint lighter like the Zippo?

But keyring.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Not a peanut lighter, but I have recently discovered the Zorro which is everything a Zippo would be if they had not fixed the leaks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got two peanut lighters.
They both work, but they both evaporate their fuel over time.
If I mind and check them every so often it's fine, but if I don't they run dry.

To be honest, the peanut lighter that lasts best is the one with the vaseline impregnated cotton thick wick.
It doesn't dry out, and it goes out when the lid is closed down over the wick.

It's a bit of a messy thing to pull more wick forward though, but it's vaseline-y and just wipes off my fingers.

I'm not a smoker, so the lighters only ever got used to start a wee stove or to light a fire.

I really like the turbo lighter though for something that needs a 'flame'.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just to be clear - you don’t want a “permanent match” (2” x 1.5” x 1/2”) that uses lighter fuel and a ferro rod combined with a wick. It requires two hands. I have a new one that was back up for the one I used for years.

I’ve had a “Turbo” acorn type lighter but it didn’t work after its first refilling. I got a replacement and that didn’t work after its first tank full either - I gave up.

You are looking for a one handed butane lighter fired by a piezo crystal - yes? Like the disposables?

Or are you looking for a petrol and flint lighter like the Zippo?

But keyring.
The last one, petrol zippo type but a small keyring version. Thanks.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Wow, prices did go crazy. I’ve got a brass Maratac split pea lighter on my keyring from years ago that needs new o-rings. It used to hold its fuel for months but not any more.

The prices have gotten ridiculous. Often 3 the price of a decent zippo.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I've got two peanut lighters.
They both work, but they both evaporate their fuel over time.
If I mind and check them every so often it's fine, but if I don't they run dry.

To be honest, the peanut lighter that lasts best is the one with the vaseline impregnated cotton thick wick.
It doesn't dry out, and it goes out when the lid is closed down over the wick.

It's a bit of a messy thing to pull more wick forward though, but it's vaseline-y and just wipes off my fingers.

I'm not a smoker, so the lighters only ever got used to start a wee stove or to light a fire.

I really like the turbo lighter though for something that needs a 'flame'.

Thanks Mary. I have not smoked for many many years and I still miss having a lighter to hand. We had a few group buys in the past and they ranged from brilliant to cheap copies that just didn't hold fuel and holding that fuel is important if you are not checking it every few weeks or using it regular to light cigs.

I will keep looking before I shell out a load of cash on one. up to say £30 isn't too bad in my mind if its going to last but some of these are £60 plus and look no different to the ones from the past that were less than a tenner delivered!

Reactions: Crac and Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They used to cost buttons, and to be honest, my expensive one lasts no better than the one I'm pretty sure was under a fiver.
The O rings are the failure point I found.....so I bought a boxfull for under a tenner and just replace often.
Surprising just how many things use O rings.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The prices have gotten ridiculous. Often 3 the price of a decent zippo.
Ahh, these were the days…

Thats the same as mine. I’ll have a think, I don't really use it, I might be persuaded to part with it.

Reactions: dwardo and jcr71

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I had one, but found it never lit properly, and was too fiddly for me, the fuel evaporated and I could never rely on it, so I junked the "lighter" bit and just use it as a tinder stash on my keyring. (Cotton wool balls) with a tiny toggle ferro rod I have on my hat, and a small scraper which I keep on the keyring, I've always got fire on me if my lighter fails.

Reactions: Toddy

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
After reading this thread I got my old peanut lighter out of my reserve stock and refilled it and wondered about re-atttaching it to my keyring. I soon remembered why I had taken it off. It smells, leaks and is unfit for service when needed because the fuel has evaporated. I long ago replaced it with a mini bic gas lighter which is far more reliable - and I can see when fuel is low and it needs replacing.

Reactions: Toddy and dwardo

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Never understand this keyring stuff.

Weight on your starter motor isnt good for it, and you are sure to damage all but the robust of itemage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE