Expedition summer 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Tvividr said:
A couple of weeks ago I saw a video taped from Danish Television (long time ago) with a story of some 6 or 8 danes who build a biiig canoe with space for everyone. It was build in two parts and assembled on site, when they paddled the length of Torneälven..........
If you want me to, then I can try to convert the above video to digital and burn it on a cd (can't do dvd) and post it to you Chris (Arctic Hobo), and then you can distribute it to your fellow expedition members together with the 3D map ?
Chris PM me your postal address, if you are interested that is ?
I'm quite busy at the moment with a translation job (it's coming tomtom :eek:): ....within one week from now), and completing a large knifeorder, so it might take a couple of weeks.

The video is in danish, but you do not need to understand the language in order to see what the river and surrounding environment is like. I think it is about 45 min, but I can try to squeze it in on a 700 Mb CD.

Hopefully my software and cables are working :shock: :roll: :lol:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Gerd, PM on it's way :biggthump

Something just occured to me: is this expo big enough to consider asking for sponsorship? We could maybe advertise it as "using only primitive methods" etc, and it is in a wilderness area far from civilisation. I doubt it, but if we were lucky, it might save us some money!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have also thought about the possiblity of sponsorship etc. I think it might be possible to contact the major canoeing magazines and so if its possible to get an article about the trip published.

Its hard to get cash out of companies but some kit might be possible.

Getting kit on the cheap is Stuarts department. I am happy to do some leg work just not sure where to start. I know your busy Chris until August. However are you going to make the Bcuk meet ups before then. They might be an ideal time for the group members to do some planning. See what tasks can be dished out etc.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Okies I've been to the local Canoeing/Kayaking center (woodmill Wayne) and they have hoards of kit including blow up kayaks and rafts, they've said to go down when ever I like and they'll hook em out to get an idea of the weight etc. They also had a canoe trolley as shown above, definatley a possibility, they pack down to virtually nothing so space won't be an issue. I've got a contact of some people there that have done expeditions with canoes so I'm going to email them to find out if they had to portage or carry them and get more information if they did.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Asking for sponsorships may be a possible route, but I think that you should concentrate on companies etc in the UK. If you are looking for specific Scandinavian made equipment, then try the UK distributor first and get them to propose something to the manufactor of the goodies.
From previous experience I would say that this expedition is not "high profiled" enough with regard to what is to be done and the people involved etc - at least for the Scandi companies. There is nothing in it that will make the big manufactures go really :yikes: "WOW, we need our name in there!" Going that (canoeing)route may not be an every day occurence for scandi outdoorsmen and women, but there is nothing very special compared to the usual type of outdoorlife being done by a lot of Scandinavians.
I have been sponsored a couple of times with equipment (never any monies) either for free or by being able to buy the stuff cheaper than retail prices, but it has been hard work to get there. Sometimes even harder than what it actually was worth.
An easier route than asking for direct sponsorships, might be getting discounts from local outdoor shops - especially if you buy stuff together instead of one by one. Bring a shopping list and ask several shops for a total price before buying at the cheapest place (with the best after market service :roll: ).

Scandinavian manufactures, magazines etc get questions like this all the time. I know one Norwegian outdoor equipment manufacturer that gets about 1200 such questions every year, and they have stopped even answering the letters, emails etc as doing that takes too much manpower capacity away from doing what's more important for the company.
Unless you can prove previous published stories and articles on expeditions magazines are very reluctant to pay for anything up front. However, they might be interested in both pics and the full story after the expedition has been completed.

Before you contact anyone for sponsorships you should have done as much planning and other preparations as possible. Then make a well written presentation listing up goals to be achieved, members of the expedition (including experience and what have been done to achieve competence for participating in the expedition etc), how you plan to do things, emergency procedures etc. You may also list benefits for the asked company by sponsoring your expedition, and offer them full access to pics from the trip and full use of them in their marketing (that is after all what they are looking for). Do not say that you know this guy so and so who got sponsored by so and so, and you have this plan to do so and so, so could you please get a sponsorship too....
You might get some weird answers and demands from some (I've been asked to pay the same price for equipment as what a retail shop would do, and then still had to sign a contract demanding among other things that I wrote a 100% positive rapport subject to censorship on the use of the equipment, to be used for marketing. I flatly refused, and managed to get 35 % off the retail price at a local shop instead !), and you might even be very very lucky and actually get a sponsorship :shock:

The above is just some quick thoughts based on my experience with trying to get sponsorships. It is only meant to show you that getting sponsorships might not be all that easy, as there will be very many people wanting the same thing. Base your plans on having to pay full price for everything, and then having the benefit of a pleasant surprice if and when you might be lucky enough to get either very cheap prices or even a full sponsorship. Good luck :biggthump

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've just got a good book, Advanced Backpacking written by Chris Townsend and its damn good. The whole book is about long distance hiking, preparation, kit, mental attitude etc, its got some good ideas that can be implemented here, also for Andy there is a whole section on foods to take... and Chris is a vegetarian!

BrutonW

Jun 16, 2004
Hi there,

I've been away and have only just read about the expedition. It sounds great, and if there is a place count me in; i'm free all through summer 2006.

On the Sat. phone issue; i believe they can be hired for expeditions, which would obviously be much cheaper than buying one.

Would it be possible to organise an informal meet up of possible team members? It sounds like everyone has the necessary experience (and enthusiasm!)

Will

http://www.satphone.co.uk/rental.shtml

phones are £325 per month, and calls cost £2 per minute

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I thought about sponsorship. I was wondering just how much kit most people would need to buy though. I may well have to get a load more but I'm not sure how much others would need

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Gerd, that's all fantastic advice, thanks :You_Rock_
I'll certainly get everything quite sorted before applying etc... it is only a though after all, if we are not sponsored it won't be much of a surprise.
Do any of you know any reporters? :naughty: :biggthump
Matt, if you could bring that book with you in Jan, I'd love to have a look through :biggthump
Also, is it possible that you could ask those canoeing folks what they know about Ally canoes? I have not been able to find anything about them at all in the UK. I am in Norway in the summer, perhaps I will have to look then :roll:
BrutonW, great to have you interested. There are places - I have decided to limit them to 20, as beyond this it will be quite impossible to organise. At the moment we stand at 14 as far as I know, but I appreciate people will be dropping out and hopefully joining too.
Thanks for the info on the sat phones, but I am unsure as to how useful we'll find them... your thoughts please.
Andy, I am not sure why you think we'll not need much kit... all the canoes and associated clutter will be quite expensive! Plus if there's any way we can reduce travel costs etc, it all helps. I am thinking it will be a very expensive trip.
You people thought about what I said about food earlier? I know sponsorship is exciting but that's a long way off and food needs to be discussed.
As regards us all meeting up, what I'd like is for us to meet up as an expedition group. I am free for 1-15 August, but preferably we should meet up much sooner. I can only spare one weekend before then. :cry:
As regards a place to meet:
I live in E Devon, Jake's in Cardiff, Wayne's Sussex, James is Co. Dublin (could you make it James?), Phil is Surrey, Raz is Cornwall, Matt is S'hampton (good luck against Liverpool :biggthump ) and Andy is Sheffield. I don't know where Stuart is... is he back in the country yet? :?: I think that's everyone but BrutonW - do you have a name and location? :lol:
From that it looks like the south is the best, as we're all southerners but James and Andy. I suggest Dartmoor, but that's because it's only 30mi away
:lol: Ideas please.
I suggest we just meetup for a serious discussion before we get into all the training etc as there is plenty more to say and sort out, which is easier done face to face than over a forum :biggthump

Chris :wave:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
arctic hobo said:
If any of you read Norwegian, you may be interested in this: http://www.friluftsliv.no/article.php?sid=190&mode=thread&order=0
It's quite similar to our own expedition.
I don't know exactly if they are where you're gonna paddle, but these are called "fosser" in swedish and they're great fun. They make it go a lot faster, but sometimes you're stuck on the stones. :wink: Happy canoeing..... :p :eek:): :twisted: (how many did you say were going? :rolmao: )

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Yes, I read that bit too :) It'll be fun! In a kind of dangerous way... :shock: :rolmao:
Our river is much larger (longer and wider), and also calmer. Further north as well.
I thought "foss" was just "fall" or "waterfall". In English we call it a waterfall if it falls, and rapids if it's just steep white water. :wave: We shall have both :shock:
And please don't remind me of the nightmares I've been having of coaxing ten boats down a section of tough white water :cry: :wink:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
How many people do we have hoping to go?

Do we have enough to cover expected losses?

(either people that have to pull out before the start or losses during the trip depending on your outlook of life)

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
14 hopefuls I think. As to covering losses, not sure what you mean. If you mean if you pull out at a late stage and you've already invested money, then it's tough luck I'm afraid. If you mean will we have to pay air fares home and hospital fees if we get hurt, then no, you'll have insurance.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
arctic hobo said:
14 hopefuls I think. As to covering losses, not sure what you mean.
I meant do we have enough people to keep the boats going after we loss the odd person to the rapids and the float away to their gave in the river. Or in the event that no food is obtained we have to eat the weaker members of the team.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I've often wondered what human flesh tastes like... not in a twisted way but a curious way. I guess I'll never find out :?: Oh dear, now I think nobody will come on my expedition :yikes: :cry:
Nobody will be eaten, and nobody (hopefully) will die. As I've said before we can certainly survive, as we are always within 2 days of a town. And we can always eat tummy fudge etc if we have to :yikes: :rolmao:
I am quite certain that we will not have survival problems. If we do lose a man, we will have a problem as we will be using two man canoes. I guess one of the more skilled members could take control of the canoe on his own as we can't have three men to a canoe. Alternatively, if there is an affiliated person (a girlfriend, wife, brother, whatever) who is with injured/dead person, then they can leave together.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
How about meeting up at Widdecombe again. See the dartmoor meet up thread. nice campsite allows fires etc. Ok its a trek for most of us but at least its a weekend. I have some fairly important dates that i cant free up. So i would need some notice so we can all try and arrange a date that suits. no easy task me thinks.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Good idea. I'm thinking of february, shall we say 11th over 12th? I can only get saturdays off work, so friday over to saturday is best.
Obviously these are only provisional dates, if people need to suggest others that's great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE