Expedition summer 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Not sure if this is a good idea or no, but I thought I'd share my plans for summer 2006 with you lot, see if anyone is interested.
I'm planning to travel from near Tromsø in northern Norway to Tornio on the Gulf of Bothnia, about 400mi. To start with I'll follow Jan Baalrud's celebrated and fateful route (incredible story, map here and highly recommended book here), like it is followed every year as a tribute, using folding canoes (right now I think Ally Canoes from Bergans). Then a relatively short trek across the border to one of the many tributaries of the Lainioälven. This runs into the Torneälven, which meets the sea at Tornio. There are a fair few rapids but not many falls on the rivers, which makes them ideal canoeing material.
Most importantly for us bushcrafters, it's perfect for BC'ing. The river apparently holds more salmon than half of Russia (real stat), so no problems for food. We can have use of the enormous expanse of forest, with possibly animals to hunt as well. There is the odd town along the river so we could spend a few nights in bars as well :wink:
It should not take more than two weeks from when we hit the river, and no more than a week for the first part.
Please do post and ask questions if you're interested, or even if you aren't. I'm also completely open to any suggestions - what you see here is as far as I've planned.
I realise it's a long time away, but something like this takes planning. You lot seem a good bunch and up for meetups off the net, and since all my friends are cowering at the thought of more cold and hard work, I thought I'd see if anyone is interested.
Cheers,
Chris :wave:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi mate i may well be interested.

What time scale you looking at. How long are you planning to take to cover the distance. Whats the min max number of people you planning to have with you? Have you done any costings yet etc?

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Wayne said:
Hi mate i may well be interested.

What time scale you looking at. How long are you planning to take to cover the distance. Whats the min max number of people you planning to have with you? Have you done any costings yet etc?

Good points. I'm thinking of roughly three weeks, as the river is about 300-350mi long, so two weeks is a decent time that allows a relatively relaxed pace or days off if necessary. The overland trip should certainly be no more than a week - technically it could be done in three days, but bad weather and fitness might get in the way!
I have not though much about costing. If you have all the equipment for the local climate (in summer it will not be bad), then all you need is money for canoes and a flight to Tromsø, and back from Tornio. Both are likely to be connecting and pricey. :roll:
As for people, I don't mind at all. As many as we like, though I expect to have too little rather than too much interest! :cry: The only real constraint is finding food while there, and sheer logistics of that many people - canoes getting lost/left behind, no space on flight :?:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I havent been to Tromso but have walked in Absiko national park nearby Sweden. what sort of canoe stand would be reuired as i have only kayaked. Any ideas to cost of a canoe. i know flights to Kiruna arent cheap.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Wayne said:
I havent been to Tromso but have walked in Absiko national park nearby Sweden. what sort of canoe stand would be reuired as i have only kayaked. Any ideas to cost of a canoe. i know flights to Kiruna arent cheap.

I'm thinking of the Bergans Ally canoes, which seem ideal but for the £900 price tag. www.bergans.no Two man canoes means you halve that price, but still... Hiring them seems a better idea. Now to find someone who does that.
Kayaking is harder than canoeing, and also is more about dealing with rapids, which means you're more prepared than someone who's only canoed. :)

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
No objection to an Irish man joining you. I'll bring some whiskey. :wave:

I am well up for the idea as I have planned to visit this part of the world in 2006 but not had a clue how to do it or where to go. So traveling to area with individuals with experience of the place would be great.

Not much canoeing experience but I have whole year to learn.

Do I need to beg.

James

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
You're very welcome (I'm Irish meself, hail from Dun Laoghaire Co. Dublin :super: ). Your whiskey is even more welcome :eek:):
The canoeing shouldn't be too technical - after all it it becomes too hard we can portage around it. Maybe nearer the time we can arrange a canoeing course/meetup :)

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Cool. :biggthump A Southsider and Northsider on the same trip it will be fun. A meet up next year some time would be must and I am planning at being at the Bushmoot in the summer.

I also imagine it will be easier for me to go from the UK with yourselves anyway.

So whats the next step.

James

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Norwegian Spruce i am very, very intersted. It sound absolutely perfect!

Im taking a good few years off to go travelling etc after this year so you oculd probably count me in. I have always wanted to do something like that, let me know.

I also have kayak experience! (well a bit anyway :wink: )

Jake

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'd be very interested....my arctic skills are limited so I'm happy to give it a try in the summer first.

It's a long way ahead so I can't give a definate yes but money and wife allowing I'd be up for it.

I'm a BCU instructor Kayak and a Senior instructor Open Canoe so I can help train the guys on the flat and ease them through the white water if that helps?
Even if I don't manage to come on the trip I'm more than happy to do some canoe training with you before you go if you want it :p

Food's going to have to be carried in or foraged unless we can find a Norwegen with a rifle and a hunting permit as bow hunting is not allowed (see my other questions on bow hunting on Bearskin Thread).
Shouldn't be a problem though!

It's a big old task to plan a trip like this......but Heck...well worth it!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
sounds like a great trip. I'll be in a year in indursty during that time so don't know what I'd do about getting the time off. Maybe a company wont mind you going off for 3 weeks if your only a placement worker.
Do you think a veggi diet would be harder to keep up?

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
bambodoggy said:
I'd be very interested....my arctic skills are limited so I'm happy to give it a try in the summer first.

It's a long way ahead so I can't give a definate yes but money and wife allowing I'd be up for it.

I'm a BCU instructor Kayak and a Senior instructor Open Canoe so I can help train the guys on the flat and ease them through the white water if that helps?
Even if I don't manage to come on the trip I'm more than happy to do some canoe training with you before you go if you want it :p

Food's going to have to be carried in or foraged unless we can find a Norwegen with a rifle and a hunting permit as bow hunting is not allowed (see my other questions on bow hunting on Bearskin Thread).
Shouldn't be a problem though!

It's a big old task to plan a trip like this......but Heck...well worth it!

It would be great to have you along. You knowledge of the water would be invaluable. very kind offer to train us. I would like to take you up on that offer.

Hopefully a few more BCUK memembers will be up for the challenge. Especially as after the inital excitement there are always people that need to drop out.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Thinking about it...you can definatly (at this point) put me down. So it's a prety firm "yes" from me as i can't see anything that could stand in the way.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Wow... a flurry of posts.
Great Elm, that's great to have a big yes and enthusiasm :)
Phil, thanks for your kind offer - and I hope you can come along! The food as I mentioned could be from the river - apparently there is more salmon in this one river than half of Russia (true stat!). I hope to try for a shooting permit by then anyway (planning on moving to the land of nog in the not too distant future, whether before or after we go I don't know). We'll be in the salmon season. I don't know what the forests will be like as food is concerned as I've only been on tundra grassland that far north - who knows, maybe there will be food to be foraged :?: :)
If the worst came to the worst we could theoretically stock up in the (very occasional) towns.
A big ol' task it will be to plan - but as you say, very well worth it!

Andy: I'm afraid I think that a vegetarian diet might be very hard to keep up! However you're quite welcome to come... maybe you can temporarily opt out of it :?:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE