Expedition summer 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Aquashoes are a great idea - small, light and unrestrictive. I use them when teaching in summer. Wetsuit boots are good, but a bit over the top for just canoeing. For the walking, obviously decent walking boots are a must.
Sandals are great for the camp, and a great relief from boots, but I have found them pretty useless for walking in rivers. They tend to slip around on your feet and take a long time to dry.
Excellent advice there on clothes Phil :biggthump
Inflatable canoes?? New one on me! I'd be a little concerned about their durability, but we need all the ideas we can get I think!

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I have to say the ones I found today and put a link to below don't look up to the job but I do know you can get more durable ones that are meant for expeditions.....(if I'm honest I only know from watching an Alaskan Expedition program on the "Adventure One" channel on TV)....lol

But....they are out there somewhere!!! :wink:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Guys.. i would leave inflatables well alone.. they are alright for middle of summer on a resovir or something like that.. but not much good for anything serious and you aint going to get your kit in them!

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Looking at Andy's thread on veggi food while we're away, I wondered: is anyone any good at cooking? I have to say I'm rubbish, I have a rather small repertoire of dishes, or just a kind of messy improvisation. And I almost never cook fish :shock:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I'm not a bad cook, at least I do all the cooking here and no ones been ill yet. Any ideas on what we're going to be able to forage? Fish is fairly easy to prepare and cook although it can get a bit monotonous if you've nothing else to accompany it.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
would a samon kettle be handy for cooking? Coming from a large family (six kids) we tend to have rather large pots.

We could make bread using a pressure cooker if we want to get fancy.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Argh! me too :shock:
Trouble is, we will be sorely limited in what we can take. Remember we're walking a long way, and a huge weight is far from fun. Beyond a certain weight you just can't walk at all. Remember also, that we must fit it into the canoes.
One of the main reasons I asked you lot, is that through bushcraft we can travel light and improvise. In fact that's how I got into bushcraft.
However it's up to you! I'd strongly advise you to get all your kit together, weigh it, and think carefully about how far you could go with it.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Andy said:
I've forgotton how many people are going on this trip. One big cooking pot would be lighter then more smaller ones. I'm concerned abou the weight though

You're right... but I was thinking more like elimiating pots... :wink:
Plus if we take one pot, it will take a long time to heat up if it's huge, but big fish can easily be cut up for small pots :)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I am still concerned about the weight of carrying the canoes over rough terrian.

how many here have actually carried a lightly loaded canoe any distance its absolutely no fun?

I think we need to research more carefully how to get the kit to the river head.

As too food we need to be thinking around 3-4000 calories per day. Carbs will be the main problem.

When will be the first gathering of likely candidates for the trip?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
About canoes and carrying them. You can get small, folding carts to fold out and put the canoe on. The weight is no more than 5 kg for one cart and they take up almost no space. Just a tip.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have a good quality fold up trolley for my sea kayaks. I still wouldn't enjoy transporting them 30miles or so over rough terrain. I'm not suggesting its impossible but the practicalities need to be resolved at an early stage. then the training needs to begin.

A 3-4 week journey down a remote river that none of us know with an inexperienced crew. Its not the same as a weekend paddle down the local loch.

I get the feel that there is a lot of romanticism going on and no enough appreication of the seriousness of the task at hand and the potential pitfalls involved in a group of strangers turning up to walk and the run a river for 4 weeks with little idea about food resupply and water conditions.

I know its early days but we need to get serious if this journey is going to get off the drawing board and turned in a successful and fun trip.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Re: trolleys. I think Viking means handcarts, used a lot by people on expeditions needing to carry a lot of weight. A bit like the ones at the bottom of this page: http://www.arcangeloni.com/laos2002/gord/06.shtml and many others. I have thought a lot about them, and I'm thinking they might be a good idea.
Don't forget, we aren't carrying the canoes that far. Weight is between 39 and 47 lb, but remember that's split between two people.
Wayne, you are quite right about the romanticism :-x However as we get nearer the time I'm sure people will become more serious.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE