Essential item for inclusion in your survival kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi Folks,
I'm a newbie, this is my first post actually. I joined up last week and have spent hours here reading with interest a ton of stuff. Fascinating reading it has been too. Some of you blokes are really hard core. Makes me feel very "wannabe".

Me, well I just have a heathly interest in basic survival skills and of generally "being prepared". I'm the type of person who walks into a building and notes where the fire exits are, you get my drift? I try to go through life with a "what if" outlook and try to think of solutions and mentally, if not physically, be prepared for them.

Anyway getting back to that essential item I mentioned. Now some of you blokes might consider it bleedin' obvious, whereas others might not see the wood for the trees (excuse the pun) but as I've got on in life I find myself more and more dependant on one important thing.

My glasses.

Before I was 40 I didn't need them, they were the handy accessory I rarely needed to use. Nowadays I find myself dependant on them just to read anything. It's the close up stuff I have problems with, anything past 3 foot from my face I'm fine and it remains in focus... but that's 6 inches outside of my reach. :(

So at the risk of teaching you blokes how to suck eggs can I suggest inclusion of a cheapy pair of off the shelf glasses in a sturdy case in your kit, two pairs for double security. Just in case you lose your own in a stream or they fall down into a crevice in the glacier you're camping on.

Better to have something to help you dig that splinter out of your fingertip than have it get infected. Or spend an hour threading that fishing line through the hook while your stomach is rumbling and the salmon are leaping 3 feet away. Know what I mean?

Ask yourself how well you'd cope without your glasses?

Yes a magnifying glass is handy but tying up one hand holding the lens for every close up task you need to do will soon become a drag.

Thanks for reading.

I hope to be an active member here, not that I have that much to contribute except saying thanks to those posting good advice. Man this place is like a gold mine of info, so this is just me trying to chip in with something positive in case it had skipped your notice.

I'm off now to dig through all my survival clutter and see if I can't make some decent grab bags out of it. And that heavy ex army woolen blanket I have is starting to look like a homemade anorak to me. :)

Aaron. aka "Biker"

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the forum - they're a great bunch on here, always willing to help with advice etc. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

Good point about the gregory pecks (specs).

Some folk need them for reading etc., like you I need them just for looking through.

The drawback is the expense of a second pair, but I agree, when out and about they are the one thing I don't want broken.

All the best

Liam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to the forum :D

Interesting and very relevant post :approve:
My eyesight has started to lose the acuity I took for granted and I struggled with tasks that I had done since I was three years old, like threading needles. I suddenly understood my Grandmother's quiet pleased, "Thank you " when I sat and thread two dozen for her :D

However, glasses are vulnerable. There is an alternative.
Pinhole specs.
Curl your hand into a fist with just the tiniest of gaps to allow light through and have a one eyed squint through. Suddenly you can see fine detail again :D
Pinhole specs can be made from plastic, metal, wood, leather..........whatever you can find, and they aren't troubled by scratches, dirt or grease.

Not ideal maybe, but a trick worth remembering.

cheers,
Toddy

Biker

Pin hole spex? Hmm haven't heard of those before. See what I mean? Suddenly I'm learning new stuff already! Thanks!

You're right, owning a second pair of prescription glasses ain't cheap, my last pair cost me £200!! But for under a fiver you can pick up a pair of off the shelf non-prescription glasses that'll get you out of a hole, they're also pretty tough looking too. Joe 90 eat your heart out!

Thanks for the warm welcome. Somehow I knew that'd be the case based on what I'd read here already, you're a good bunch, not up your own a***s at all like some forums I've visited who consider a newbie beneath their notice. Snobbish is putting it politely.

I'll try making a set of those pinhole glasses today. Thanks!

Aaron

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Welcome Aaron,
and what a brilliant first post! I realised a few years ago that I needed specs for close up work, though I tend not to think of them as "outdoor" equipment. That said, they are slowly becoming necessary bits of kit, so your post is a timely one.

Welcome again, I hope you enjoy your time here.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Hi Biker

A good point well made my friend.

I have also recently invested £2.00 for a specs repair kit from my local chemist.

It has a small screwdriver, a couple of spare screws and a few other bits and pieces for repairing my glasses if a screw should come out or whatever when I am out and about.

I could probably have put the kit together myself with bits from old glasses, but it all came in a hard plastic tube and it was just easier to buy it off the shelf this time.

Anyway, the point I am making is don't forget to carry a few spares for your glasses just in case they need a quick repair.

Welcome to the forums.

Phill

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Another good tip is to buy a credit card sized fresnel lens and keep it in your kit. If you need to do two handed work, grab a stick, put a point on one end and a small split in the other. Stick the pointed end in the ground and slip the edge of the fresnel into the split on the top of the stick..... Voila

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
a life long spec wearer, ive had times when ive bust my glasses and been stuffed

i dont need them for close work as am short sighted, but anything over 6 inches away gets prgressively more blurred, over 6 foot and faces are just blobs with a couple of darker blobs where eyes are.

i have 2 pairs anyways, normal clear and my sunglasses. ive never actually thought of getting a pair of NHS style framed ones as a backup. will do on my next checkup/new prescription

as for pinhole specs, done that and also "squinting" to the extreme by pulling on the sides of my eyes

fresnel lenses only useful for the longsighted well and firestarting :p

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Hi Biker

A good point well made my friend.

I have also recently invested £2.00 for a specs repair kit from my local chemist.

It has a small screwdriver, a couple of spare screws and a few other bits and pieces for repairing my glasses if a screw should come out or whatever when I am out and about.

I could probably have put the kit together myself with bits from old glasses, but it all came in a hard plastic tube and it was just easier to buy it off the shelf this time.

Anyway, the point I am making is don't forget to carry a few spares for your glasses just in case they need a quick repair.

Welcome to the forums.

Phill

Nothing a bit of gaffer tape can't fix...:rolleyes: Good idea though. I have had to wear glasses since I was about 14 or 15. They are part of me. I think I'll get myself a repair kit.

Just tried the pinhole thing, Toddy and it works! Thanks for that.:)

And :welcome1: to the forums Biker.

Biker

Thanks Jojo.

DrewDunn. Your day will come, but forewarned is forearmed. That's how we learn from others.

Jonojuna. That's scary!

And finally to Wildthing. At the risk of stating the obvious just how will you make the repairs to your spex replacing the iddy biddy teeny tiny screw that holds the lens in place while the glasses you need to see it with are in your hands? :confused: This reply is light-hearted in nature, I'm just pulling your leg a bit.

I had a lens fall out of my glasses a while ago while working up a ladder. I found the lens fine but the 3 molecules diameter screw was nowhere to be found (there's a surprise! :dunno:) I just looped a bit of thin fuse wire through the hole and wound it tight till I could make a more permanant repair later ... while wearing my spare spex.

Who needs gaffer tape when you have a first aid kit containing plasters? If it worked for that spotty kid at school and Harry Potter then it's good enough for the rest of us foureyes!

P

Pcwizme

i have had to wear glasses constantly since about the age of 11, so im used to wearing them and carrying a spare, and of course remembering to carry a pair of sunglasses,

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i found glasses such a pain in the butt since wearing them from the age of 11. Last year i was faced with paying £250 for a new pair so i thought sod it and got them lasered for £1600 been ace since although the treatment wasn't very nice. Swimming is enjoyable again now

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE